Computer Genius Needed For Advice..?

jasonr3255

I Have a motion touch screen pen tablet running windows xp.My company have stripped it bare but for the software I use for work. Bottom line is I need to re-enable the USB as it is locked but I have a stumbling block. There is no "run" command pinned to the start menu and My computer option only has keyboard and mouse options available, they have even taken away the c drive that is usually visable in my computer and I am stuck as to what to do. Forget internet connection as they have blocked that too but for the one that works through their software. Is there a solution to this without losing their software they have loaded on to the tablet as that is all password protected as well. Im totally buggered as I need to enable the USB but they have literally stripped it bare. I can not even run system tools as that has disappeared too. Any help would be appreciated

Jason

Can you access the Command Prompt (Start menu > Accessories)? Having access to the command line is essential. If no entry is present in the Start menu, try launching it through Windows Explorer address bar:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

To open the Run dialog box, press "Windows logo + R".

Note: The key combo won't work if Group Policy has been configured to restrict access to Run.

Edited by Supernova

You said my tablet but doesn't sound like they think it is yours. Maybe ask them to open the features for you. They have it in Kiosk mode for a reason. Changing stuff may be asking for problems.

• Like 1

generally when the USB has been disabled it will have have been done either of 2 ways.. the first it will have been disabled in the bios and to enable it agina then during startup press F1 or Del or F9 or whatever it tells you on the screen at the start but be quick as it is quite fast once in teh bios you can enable USB support again and dont forget to save it after you changed it

The second way is by group policy either using a local admin accoutn or a domain admin account and unless you know the local admin password you will not be able to do much about this as you need to enable USB in device manager but you need admin rights to do this, once way to do this would be to go to start then right click computer(if its an option) then properties and from there access device manager and enable USB

Good luck

You said my tablet but doesn't sound like they think it is yours. Maybe ask them to open the features for you. They have it in Kiosk mode for a reason. Changing stuff may be asking for problems.

Isnt kiosk mode just for Internet Explorer?

No it's not..Kiosk software can set restrictions on anything within the PC. Even if the user has Admin rights. I doubt the OP can do anything to remove the restrictions. He would have to have access to another administrator account that doesn't have restrictions applied.

It's done for a reason. To protect the security of the company! USB devices are notorious methods for malware and data theft. Flash memory drives and external drives are prohibited in most companies that have any form of security. They aren't going to unlock anything.

It's not the OP's computer for personal use. It's the company's computer provided to do only the company's tasks within the scope of the OP's job! :unsure:

Ask yourself, why do you need access to the USB port? You have your answer to why it's blocked. :whistling:

• Like 1

No it's not..Kiosk software can set restrictions on anything within the PC. Even if the user has Admin rights. I doubt the OP can do anything to remove the restrictions. He would have to have access to another administrator account that doesn't have restrictions applied.

It's done for a reason. To protect the security of the company! USB devices are notorious methods for malware and data theft. Flash memory drives and external drives are prohibited in most companies that have any form of security. They aren't going to unlock anything.

It's not the OP's computer for personal use. It's the company's computer provided to do only the company's tasks within the scope of the OP's job! :unsure:

Ask yourself, why do you need access to the USB port? You have your answer to why it's blocked. :whistling:

Yeah. The problem is that the IT folks on companies only know Windows. So they don't buy anything else. Or recommend anything else. The other problem is that the only way to make Windows secure so that a home user can't screw it up is to restrict it to the point where you can't do anything with it.

Our company sends out such company laptops. Us developers all have to find ways to avoid getting a company laptop. We're holding on to our old ones or use private machines. Some contractors got the company laptop sent and basically only used it to transfer files to the intranet. They're Mickey Mouse machines that can do email and internet, and utterly useless for development. In the bizarre world of the IT dept. this makes sense?!

Edited by nikster

If you want to use the PC for private stuff why don't you put Linux on a USB thumb drive and boot from there. This way you keep the installed system alone, which obviously has been locked down by the IT company out of purpose.

If they did a good job then they probably blocked this option as well (BIOS password etc).

I'm usually not into 'don't touch a company PC', but if they put that much effort and professionalism into securing the PC, I'd say rather leave it alone.

welo

Our company sends out such company laptops. Us developers all have to find ways to avoid getting a company laptop. We're holding on to our old ones or use private machines. Some contractors got the company laptop sent and basically only used it to transfer files to the intranet. They're Mickey Mouse machines that can do email and internet, and utterly useless for development. In the bizarre world of the IT dept. this makes sense?!

I can feel your pain ;)

If an IT department does not distinguish between different categories of users in terms of skill level and usages scenarios, then I'd consider them unprofessional. IT departments often develop a tendency to 'fight' the user instead of providing a balance between security and usability.

On the other hand I've seen many users (both developers and standard users) who give a dam_n about company interests, policies and security.

But this is probably off-topic, so sorry for the 'cross-fire' ;)

welo

So you are referring to 3rd party software that allows you to tighten the security there is not an actual setting on the tablet called kiosk mode?

In that case its far more likely that they have either a local or domain policy in place

So you are referring to 3rd party software that allows you to tighten the security there is not an actual setting on the tablet called kiosk mode?

In that case its far more likely that they have either a local or domain policy in place

Yes I was referring to 3rd party software. Here's an example. There are many others.

Edited by BB1950

If you want to use the PC for private stuff why don't you put Linux on a USB thumb drive and boot from there. This way you keep the installed system alone, which obviously has been locked down by the IT company out of purpose.

If they did a good job then they probably blocked this option as well (BIOS password etc).

I'm usually not into 'don't touch a company PC', but if they put that much effort and professionalism into securing the PC, I'd say rather leave it alone.

welo

What you say is true, and most likely the BIOS is password protected as you mentioned. However there are ways to get around that. By booting from another OS, would allow the OP to have complete access to the internal hard drive.

I'm not going to discuss that, as obviously the OP is trying to do something he should not, nor is qualified to do.;)

Remember, the computer is a company computer, not the OP's.

Yeah. The problem is that the IT folks on companies only know Windows. So they don't buy anything else. Or recommend anything else. The other problem is that the only way to make Windows secure so that a home user can't screw it up is to restrict it to the point where you can't do anything with it.

Not true. Most IT professionals know Unix/Linex. They use Windows for their users as it's more 'user friendly' and more 3rd party software is available. Just about everyone knows how to use a Windows.system or can catch on quickly.

Why shouldn't they restrict it? After all it's not a personal private computer. Also, regardless of what what operating system is used, to have a system with untethered access would be a severe security threat to any company!