Howto Re-Assemble The Cylinder Of A Door Knob?

welo

Hi guys,

While dismounting a loosened old door know I made the foolish mistake to open the inside cylinder (see drawing) - instead of removing the knob only via the appropriate release mechanism.

I am trying to figure out where the spring belongs and how to fit the parts together again, but it seems I am not smart enough ;)

Tried to google but only found zillions of mounting and dismounting tutorials for the door knob (where the cylinder is left complete and unopened).

Maybe somebody with more know how in this field is able to find me a tutorial or technical drawing of the inside of a cylinder, or has some other (visual) resources that might help.

I am talking about the cylinder in the lower part of the drawing, not the one where you put in the key.

143.gif

Appreciate your help!

welo

Or, if you have equal parts of braveness and stupidity (like yours truly), you could slowly and carefully disassemble a second door knob, taking careful notice of where each part came from and how they fit together. And, if necessary, disassemble a *third* door knob... :whistling:

Wow, you must have done some twisting of steel tabs with pliers to open up the cylinder you reference. My googling couldn't find anything either and I even looked at an old lock I have. Turning the old lock it was obvious a spring was inside the cylinder "from the feel" but I could not see any spring due to cylinder's construction. I could see into the cylinder enclosure but I didn't see a spring...but from what I did see it would seem the spring would have to go on the very backside. By backside I mean 180 degrees from the cylinder opening/from where the cylinder hooks to the latch assembly. Good luck.

Edited by Pib

Generally, the key is required to remove the knob containing the cylinder. If you mean you also removed the plug containing the pin tumblers, you will need steady hands and tweezers to re-insert the cylinder plug. If you only removed the knob containing the cylinder, with the key inserted in the lock, turned about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The drive bar on the tail end of the cylinder should seat back into the lock body. Often there is also a tab that needs to be depressed to allow the knob assembly to travel far enough inside the lock body. If you disassembled you can reassemble it.