Moo'S Saturday Barbecue?

grumpyoldman

Don's ex-wife Moo who has opened what a fellow TV member jokingly has nicknamed "Don's Lite", had her first Saturday night all-you-can-eat barbecue last night.

Did anyone here go? I would've gone but due to the Goodyear tire currently riding my waistline I have to banish myself from buffets for awhile.

Was it worth the 249 she is charging?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is it located, we haven't been to a buffet meal for a long time and would not mind giving it a go.

Peter on Sai Yuan we have BBQ buffets on both Friday and (now) Saturday nights.

A proven pretty good one and bargain, is Mamas & Papas (across the street from Soi Nanachat) Friday night BBQ. Great potatoes au gratin, lots of food off the grill. Problem, during high season the dive and tourist buses pull up, so get it now and the next couple months. Cheap Chang drafts for you Chang drinkers too.

Moo's taking over for what used to be our Don's Saturday BBQ, genesis of the thread, just looking for anyone who attended to make a comparison.

A proven pretty good one and bargain, is Mamas & Papas (across the street from Soi Nanachat) Friday night BBQ. Great potatoes au gratin, lots of food off the grill. Problem, during high season the dive and tourist buses pull up, so get it now and the next couple months. Cheap Chang drafts for you Chang drinkers too.

The dive business that used to go there is not coming anymore. So also during high season no problem going there.

Very enjoyable and well worth the 240 baht, as was their opening night. The menu is similar to the one Don had and good value.

I believe Don's ex "Moo noi" plus her friend, and ex staff "Pin" are hoping to fill the gap left by Don's closure, although on a smaller scale. (nothing to do with Don) .

My wife and I have been quite a few times and will return.

The entrance is near a sharp corner, take care.

Where is it located, we haven't been to a buffet meal for a long time and would not mind giving it a go.

Peter on Sai Yuan we have BBQ buffets on both Friday and (now) Saturday nights.

Moo's taking over for what used to be our Don's Saturday BBQ, genesis of the thread, just looking for anyone who attended to make a comparison.

Mamas& papas Sounds good is t the same road as Dons was in i dont know where Sai Yaun is.

Mamas& papas Sounds good is t the same road as Dons was in i dont know where Sai Yaun is.

Yes, same road as Don's used to be. Coming from Nai Harn just before Don's place on the opposite side of the street, with the small mini golf place.

Yes, same road as Don's used to be. Coming from Nai Harn just before Don's place on the opposite side of the street, with the small mini golf place.

Do you or anyone else know if Mamas& Papas and Moos have Thai food as well as farang food in there buffet.

Do you or anyone else know if Mamas& Papas and Moos have Thai food as well as farang food in there buffet.

Mamas and Papas no, but a bunch of Thai restaurants in the immediate vicinity and I don't think they would care much if your missus came back with some somtom.

I have heard feedback that the Thai Food at Moo's is not good.

HI

I would say if you want Thai food go to a Thai place, well, my GF say that, i dont eat much of that stuff, something inside me cant handle it, and the smell

The thing is a lot of us have Thai partners who don't mind trying western food but would rather eat

Thai food which is a lot more healthy for you anyway, the reason we have not been to a buffet meal

for a long time is you can only have one or the other, i think if someone started a buffet with a choice

both styles of food and cooks who new how to cook it they would have a good business.

In the mean time i will take GOMs advice and ask if its alright to bring some Thai food into the restaurant

then if a few of us start doing it they may start supplying Thai food as well.

>>In the mean time i will take GOMs advice and ask if its alright to bring some Thai food into the restaurant

Don't count on Mamas and Papas to start having Thai food. The only day they have customers is for the Friday night buffet.

About Thai food being healthy, well it is if you can get the place to not put in MSG.

>>In the mean time i will take GOMs advice and ask if its alright to bring some Thai food into the restaurant

Don't count on Mamas and Papas to start having Thai food. The only day they have customers is for the Friday night buffet.

About Thai food being healthy, well it is if you can get the place to not put in MSG.

Look MSG up on Google, you are probably eating it every day and don't know.

What time does Moos buffet start, we drove down yesterday and could not find it at first because i was looking

for Dons as a landmark and did not know it has been demolished, also whats the parking situation, there does

not seem to be much parking available there.

What time does Moos buffet start, we drove down yesterday and could not find it at first because i was looking

for Dons as a landmark and did not know it has been demolished, also whats the parking situation, there does

not seem to be much parking available there.

Probably starts sixish and yes parking a little bit of a problem, but you can whip it right in there as I think the Muslim food stall next door shuts down and everyone pretty much parks right there.

You can park across the street in front of the closed furniture shop. As far as what's being served, if opening night was any indication, it will be much smaller than what Don had. IIRC at the opening night there were ribs, make your own tacos, salad, a curry dish, maybe some rolls and perhaps a few more items, but not many more. There were no steaks, sausages, mashed potatoes and other regular items that Don had at his buffet. So unless things have changed in two months, the buffet is also a "Don's lite".

We went to Moos tonight for the barbecue buffet, unfortunately she is not doing it at present because

she only had 10 people turn up on the first night and catered for 30, no one can afford to run a business

that way.

Talking to her and she seems a really nice honest person she is going to try again, and is arranging

advertising with the Phuket Gazette and wants to put more tables in the restaurant, a good buffet only

works if you have plenty of customers, not the balloon chasers and people who want something for

nothing., that's what she wants and is trying her best to do, i wish her the best of luck.

WE had the Mexican food and although i am not normally a fan of if we booth enjoyed it.

We went to Moos tonight for the barbecue buffet, unfortunately she is not doing it at present because

she only had 10 people turn up on the first night and catered for 30, no one can afford to run a business

that way.

Talking to her and she seems a really nice honest person she is going to try again, and is arranging

advertising with the Phuket Gazette and wants to put more tables in the restaurant, a good buffet only

works if you have plenty of customers, not the balloon chasers and people who want something for

nothing., that's what she wants and is trying her best to do, i wish her the best of luck.

WE had the Mexican food and although i am not normally a fan of if we booth enjoyed it.

Should tell her to take the sign down then, on the road coming from Wiset on the back of the Thai style house she still has it out there saying Saturday BBQ buffet 249.........removed the dates but sign still up.

Sure, buffets are a food cost killer if you don't get the people there to graze.

Sorry about the bum steer there Peter.

Yes, I have had the burrito there, o.k., same as Don's was. Looking forward to eating some real Mexican food in California in September.

Surely part of the setup and launch costs of any new business includes a loss leader period when new customers first learn about the product, she cant expect to open her doors and be busy from the first unpublicised go at it.. If shes not prepared to invest in that part of the process she will never get it to fly.

Surely part of the setup and launch costs of any new business includes a loss leader period when new customers first learn about the product, she cant expect to open her doors and be busy from the first unpublicised go at it.. If shes not prepared to invest in that part of the process she will never get it to fly.

I think she is trying her best to establish her own business, Moo is Thai and does not have unlimited resources.

I would give them my business and am new to the island. Maybe someone could give "explicit" directions.:unsure::ermm:

If you know where dons used to be its on the inside of the right angle bend just before dons heading

towards the beach.

It only has a small sign which is only visible if heading in the other direction back towards Chalong.

It is set back from the road with a parking/garden area in front, hope that helps.

post-18822-076555300 1280724169_thumb.jp

Thanks Old Croc....can't get any more explicit than that! I am brand new to the island, and have no idea where Don's is or was... YET! The name of the road would be good also, but the map will do.I love Mexican food and even have loved a few of their women years ago.

Edited by bunta71

post-18822-076555300 1280724169_thumb.jp

Thanks Old Croc....can't get any more explicit than that! I am brand new to the island, and have no idea where Don's is or was... YET! The name of the road would be good also, but the map will do.I love Mexican food and even have loved a few of their women years ago.

I too am new here, about a month, and have also been trying to spot the famous Dons Mall.

I believe this place is it(someone correct me if I'm wrong), but it's being demolished. As of this morning only about 1 third of it still stands.

post-18822-090013300 1280739745_thumb.jp

Yes, correct.

This makes things a bit confusing though. Before Don moved to Don's mall, he had a much smaller restaurant only, next to where Moo is not organising her BBQ at the moment.

So anyone pointing to 'Don's old place' could be pointing to where Don's Mall used to be or where Don's restaurant used to be before he opened the mall.