Less Than A Year Until Internet Addresses Run Dry

webfact

Less than a year until internet addresses run dry

ASHER MOSES

In less than a year, the world will run out of internet addresses and inaction by internet providers could lead to broken applications and more expensive net connections, experts warn.

The protocol underpinning the net, known as IPv4, only provides about four billion IP addresses - not website domain names, but the unique sequence of numbers assigned to each computer, website or other internet-connected device.

The explosion in the number of people, devices and web services on the internet means there are only about 232 million left. This allocation is set to be exhausted in about 340 days.

"When the IPv4 protocol was developed 30 years ago, it seemed to be a reasonable attempt at providing enough addresses bearing in mind that at that point personal computers didn't really exist, the idea that mobile phones might want an IP address hadn't occurred to anybody because mobile phones hadn't been invented [and] the idea that air conditioners and refrigerators might want them was utterly ludicrous," said John Lindsay, carrier relations manager at internet service provider (ISP) Internode.

story continues: www.smh.com.au

-- The Sydney Morning Herald

2010-07-26

footer_n.gif

What does this have to do with Thailand or anything else?

Instead of blindly posting other news stories, why not do a little research and see what the experts predict?

Like a newer version of the IP protocal that will handle much more than IPV4

The V stands for version and with any device known to man, the versions roll on and on and on and on

IPV5 is right around the corner so no one panic

Instead of blindly posting other news stories, why not do a little research and see what the experts predict?

The V stands for version and with any device known to man, the versions roll on and on and on and on

Its information, is it not?

Now that i have been provded with this info, in this great forum, i will go away and do some research.

I guess you want the answers as well as the questions eh.

Yes I though IPV6 was the new standard, but whether all the computers and routers

can handle the new addresses is another matter and may be why there is a delay.

Here let me help you out.

NEWSFLASH: Thailand is one place that relys on the use of the internet, just like virtually everywhere else in the world.

Regarding the 'blindly posting other news stories' why don't you stop worrying about what webfact is posting and only read what you want to read. Did it ever occur to you that others might find this information interesting? Of course it may even lead to someone learning something or discovering some of the other information that has been provided, including some of what you have said.

Perhaps you need to get over yourself or think about the words you use when posting. ;)

<sigh>This effects every country including Thailand</sigh>

I assume that is a typo and you mean IPv6 as IPv5 isn't an active standard protocol and was abandoned. So accusing others of not doing their research, well ...

In short, IPv5 never became an official protocol. Many years ago, Internet Stream Protocol (ST) was considered IP version five by industry researchers, but ST was abandoned before ever becoming a standard or widely known as IPv5. Work on ST and IPv5 is not expected to ever restart.

What happened to ipv5?
Originally, IPv5 was just IPv4 protocol with 64 bit addressing (instead of IPv4's 32 bit addressing), but eventually the think-tanks from the Networking world realised that 64 bit addressing does not represent enough benefit considering the cost of transition from IPv4 to IPv5 even though increased address space was the only change. Also, limitations of IPv4 were becoming more visible, so there would eventually be a need to transition to IPv6 with 128 bit addressing and many compatibility breaking improvements to the core IPv4 protocol, which would trigger another costly transition from IPv5 to IPv6. So, the IPv5 was never really standardized, and instead the Internet Protocol migrated directly to the planned IPv6 (128 bit address along with backward compatibility breaking significant improvements from better security through mandatory support for IPSec to better routing and auto-configuration).
IPv5

Actually half of the assigned IP addresses are assigned to a handful of big american companies who seem to think they need a Class-A IP range all for themselves. If they were to shift into using the dozen or so IP addresses they actually need, and users would stop thinking that having a dedicated IP address for their hobby website is somehow "better" than having sharing an IP address with hundredes of other hobby sites on the same server then the problem would be delayed at least for a decade.

Actually half of the assigned IP addresses are assigned to a handful of big american companies who seem to think they need a Class-A IP range all for themselves. If they were to shift into using the dozen or so IP addresses they actually need, and users would stop thinking that having a dedicated IP address for their hobby website is somehow "better" than having sharing an IP address with hundredes of other hobby sites on the same server then the problem would be delayed at least for a decade.

Very true. When I started working at CMU the first thing I attacked as computer/network manager was getting the laboratory Internet access. Applied for a static IP and they gave me a full Class-C set. 254 usable addresses for 4 computers. :D Since then I've implemented a firewall/gateway server and use only one static IP for over 100 hundred computers. Have tried to convince another associated department for the last few years to go this route with no luck.

IPV5? Is that a new standard? I never heard about it... IPV6 though has been in the pipeline since the nineties but it seems to be in a frozen state at this time.

IPv6 is actually finally getting quite good traction. Most ISPs ignored it for the past few years (as too lazy while it was still easy to get IPv4 addresses), but now all the ISPs I know have at least some limited IPv6 running (and this includes the ISPs here in Thailand). Not sure if they move ahead fast enough to get it to all the end-users (specially all the DSL/Cable/Mobile users) before they get into a hard crunch on IPs. Expect soon some ISPs who started late to not even give you a single dynamic real IP and instead doing NAT and just giving you a private address for your home DSL.

Not frozen, just a few people were too lazy...

- Martin

(Disclaimer: Working in the ISP business on the vendor side)

Actually half of the assigned IP addresses are assigned to a handful of big american companies who seem to think they need a Class-A IP range all for themselves.

It is worse than that, where companies have been taken over, they may own several Class A domains. :bah:

• 3 weeks later...