The Adversity Of Blanket Travel Advisories : Bill Heinecke

george

Open Letter To Ambassadors Of Nations Represented In Thailand

The adversity of blanket travel advisories

post-128-072222100 1280121087_thumb.jpg

by William E. Heinecke / Image via wordpress.com

Jul 25, 2010

William E. Heinecke, the chairman and CEO of the Minor Corporation, a leading distributor of global lifestyle brands in Thailand, speaks out about travel advisories in this open letter:

"With life in Bangkok having returned to normal following the recent demonstrations, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you whole heartedly for your assistance in lifting your country’s travel warming, and indeed for … all the steps you have taken since … helping to address the issues that Thailand’s tourism industry is now facing.

"As the CEO of one of Asia’s leading leisure companies, with brands heavily invested throughout Thailand, I am passionate about the continuing recovery of the hotel industry and how we can transform any negative worldwide perceptions that linger from the recent turmoil.

"In looking to the future, we must all persevere in our efforts to re-establish a true international image of travel safety in Thailand, and in doing so I am eager to open a dialogue and have a better understanding of the approach, assessment and the issuance guidelines of your travel warnings.

"At this point I feel it is important to remember that while the global media at times unfairly portrayed Thailand – the entire country – as being unsafe for tourists, in actual fact outside of Bangkok, and specifically the Rajprasong area, life remained peaceful and unaffected by the events which took place.

"The negative effect on areas of the Kingdom untouched by the trouble was not only devastating but unnecessary. The time has come to call upon the embassies represented in Thailand to create4 a mutual agreement based on a clear and rigorous assessment that continued to guarantee the safety of the citizens of your nation whilst fairly depicting the state of this nation.

"When taking into account disturbances that have occurred in other countries around the world that have not resulted in a travel warning being issued, I have to say it saddens me to see a blanket warning being applied to Thailand. When there were the Athens anti-austerity riots in May and the Toronto G20 protests in June, travelers were only warned specifically about the protests happening in those cities, but were not told to avoid Greece or Canada as nations. Yet, when there were demonstrations restricted to Bangkok, the entire country of Thailand was labeled with a travel warning.

"I completely agree that travel warnings are useful and must be created in the full interest of each country’s visitors, but they must also be realistic in their use. Perhaps we can consider reviewing how travel warnings are established and I would like to see the creation of an advisory board which could be represented by the private and public sectors to aid each embassy in assessing how best to make a fair and correct decision in respect of visitor security.

"Thailand is a Kingdom where international visitors are not targets and never have been for political grievances, as demonstrated by the way in which Thais continued to welcome guests with their renowned hospitality throughout the demonstrations this year and last year.

"As a long-term resident of Thailand and now a Thai citizen, I can honestly say that I, like so many visitors to Thailand, feel safer here than in most cities in Europe and North America. Indeed as you and your family have resided here for some time, I can only imagine that you share this sentiment.

"Hence it is heartbreaking to see a country-wide travel warning that causes unnecessary panic for international guests and hardship for the millions of people working in the travel sector and related industries. I understand fully that you have the interests and safety of your nation’s people at heart, and my request does not infringe upon this patriotic approach. What I do ask, is that travel warnings are issued when and specifically where you feel that your citizens may be in danger, a d that they are delivered on a fair and level basis by using the same criteria to judge all countries.

"Thailand has demonstrated its resiliency throughout various adverse events in the past, including economic crises and political uncertainty. I am confident that the memories of recent troubles will pass with time and that tourists will soon return to experience Thailand’s natural beauty, unique culture, and the warm welcome of its people.

"I am further confident that Thailand will continue to be one of the world’s leading tourist destinations. Indeed, Bangkok and Chiang Mai were recently voted as the #1 and #2 “Best” cities in the world by Travel & Leisure’s annual readers’ survey, testament to the strong popularity Thailand continues to enjoy amongst tourists globally. I hope that by working together with the same goals in sight, we can instigate positive steps that will be safely beneficial for tourists and businesses alike."

-- Willian E. Heinecke

An excellent letter - and a very valid point.

Unfortunately the days of consulates in provincial cities (even in Chiang Mai) have gone, sacrificed on the altar of "expense saving". As a result, all embassies tend to see countries through the lens of the capital - is almost every country, not just Thailand. Add to this the career impact of not playing ultra safe should anything go wrong (e.g Imagined headline in Daily Mail "Overpaid and Idle Diplomats sip G&Ts in Comfort while Innocent British Familes Brave Murderous Riots - Brian from Darlington says "Why were We not Warned?"). So the easy way out is to slap on the advisory.

A question. Did the Thai Government slap advisioris on trvel to the US after 9/11 or the UK after 7/7? I doubt it.

Hmm well I wouldn't expect to get full truth either from a man who has business and development interests in the country he's writing about. Interesting his letter is dated July 25th, probably just hours before the bomb at Big C / Central World.

Indeed, he does not mention the riots in upcountry provinces...fact is, if a travel warning can save the life of even one single tourist, that's good enough.

I am also operating in the travel/hospitality business and I don't share the same views expressed by executives such Heinecke or Matzig during the recent crisis: Thailand was [and still is] living a serious crisis, almost on the verge of a civil war and it was duty of the Foreign Government to issue travel warnings for its citizens.

Let's be reasonable and step aside the selfishness of corporate balance sheets!

Indeed, he does not mention the riots in upcountry provinces...fact is, if a travel warning can save the life of even one single tourist, that's good enough.

I am also operating in the travel/hospitality business and I don't share the same views expressed by executives such Heinecke or Matzig during the recent crisis: Thailand was [and still is] living a serious crisis, almost on the verge of a civil war and it was duty of the Foreign Government to issue travel warnings for its citizens.

Second that.

Entirely self-serving.

A letter by Heinecke with almost the same words was published on June 4th,

just 2 weeks after the riots ended demanding the lift the emergency decree.

The suggestion that anyone running a business is inherently evil is disturbing, but even if you buy into that rubbish, Heinecke's business is going to survive and many hotels, restaurants, tourist agencies and the like aren't. Has anyone been to Phuket lately? It's bad. Isn't it possible he's trying to do what he can to help? Even if these interests serve his own, he's is by no means the only one. So what's wrong if his message serves his interest at the same time as serving others? We're condemning him for that? Do you think a small hotel operator in Chiang Mai writing a letter is going to have any impact?

A business is bad because it does bad things not because it's a business. Far as I can tell, Heinecke runs his business ethically. "Business bashing" to change the world is akin to buying a Prius to save the environment--It might make you feel like you've actually done something when in actuality, you're just being trendy...

Yes I noticed how he conveniently forgot about government buildings and fire engines being burned down it other parts of Thailand. All of witch may or may not merit a world wide warning about traveling in Thailand.

Now with the recent bombing at Big C that has changed. The red shirts are going to operate in small groups now. This will allow them to spring up any where in Thailand with there senseless bombs. We here in Chiang Mai have been threatened with juast that kind of action by the local red shirts.

For my self I feel reasonably safe but then again I have lived here for four years. Joe three weeks a year holiday is not going to be looking at it as I do. He has far to many other places he can go to with out fear of a nut blowing him up.

As long as they were all together in Bangkok the army could keep some kind of control on them. Now they don't stand a chance of being able to control them. They will be long gone before the army gets there. Thaksin must be happy now his plan to cause trouble in Thailand is working quite well. And with this method he can save a lot of money.

Edited by jayjay0

The suggestion that anyone running a business is inherently evil is disturbing, but even if you buy into that rubbish, Heinecke's business is going to survive and many hotels, restaurants, tourist agencies and the like aren't. Has anyone been to Phuket lately? It's bad. Isn't it possible he's trying to do what he can to help? Even if these interests serve his own, he's is by no means the only one. So what's wrong if his message serves his interest at the same time as serving others? We're condemning him for that? Do you think a small hotel operator in Chiang Mai writing a letter is going to have any impact?

A business is bad because it does bad things not because it's a business. Far as I can tell, Heinecke runs his business ethically. "Business bashing" to change the world is akin to buying a Prius to save the environment--It might make you feel like you've actually done something when in actuality, you're just being trendy...

I agree.

OK, he did not mention the disturbances outside of Bangkok, but they only lasted one day and - as far as I can remember - no foreigners were attacked - in fact some actually helped the red-shirts destroy property.

As to speculating about what the red-shirts are going to do, some posters might be right, but they very well might not. Who would have thought that they would have stopped almost completely after one day of going crazy?

No one could believe it when all the protests stopped after General Suchinda attacked the activists in Black May 1992, but that was pretty much the end of that (if I remember correctly). One thing the old-hands have always said is that it is never easy for us foreigners to predict what the Thais will do.:wai:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Perhaps Mr. Heinecke should spend time convincing the Thai government to rescind the continuing state of emergency in much of the country....before criticizing foreign governments for trying to rightfully warn their citizens. Foreigners were free to travel as they pleased.........but the embassies made sure they were at least aware of the state of affairs in the country.

Mr. Heinecke also fails to mention the unrest in many provinces up north. That violence could have easily gotten out of control. I never felt threatened as a foreigner in Thailand, but that doesn't mean I wasn't careful about where I went during the unrest. Easy for me to do because I'm familiar with areas where the red shirt folks congregated in Udon. That might not be the case for a visitor who might be unaware of the gravity of what was going on.

Perhaps Mr. Heinecke should spend time convincing the Thai government to rescind the continuing state of emergency in much of the country....before criticizing foreign governments for trying to rightfully warn their citizens. Foreigners were free to travel as they pleased.........but the embassies made sure they were at least aware of the state of affairs in the country.

Mr. Heinecke also fails to mention the unrest in many provinces up north. That violence could have easily gotten out of control. I never felt threatened as a foreigner in Thailand, but that doesn't mean I wasn't careful about where I went during the unrest. Easy for me to do because I'm familiar with areas where the red shirt folks congregated in Udon. That might not be the case for a visitor who might be unaware of the gravity of what was going on.

As a frequent traveller and business person in Africa, I second a number of you. A country is perhaps perceived to be dangerous, but its people are more often very friendly. I have just travelled to a couple of countries perceived dangerous and unfriendly. However, I also recommended Mr. Heinecke's CFO to have a look at these same countries as their people deserve so much more than their government gives them in terms of tourist and business travel. Thailand is in a kindergarten leauge compared to many other countries and as such I agree with Bill Heinecke - Thailand derserve a better rap than it is given, but sometimes even a diamond is overlooked! The diamond is still there...

Not only did he not mention the riots upcountry, but he seems to have forgotten the murder of over 4,000 people in Yala, Narathiwat, and Pattani over the past few years.

Self-serving crap as some have noted.

I agree.

Mr. Heinecke's letter is presumptious, arrogant and written from the perspective of a company that exploits the conspicuous consumption product niche. Nothing wrong in making a profit through commerce. However, one must draw the line when a vested interest attacks public servants that are carrying out their moral and legal obligation to protect the safety of their nationals. I am sorry Minor's shareholder's investments are not making the hefty profits they once did, but that is all part of the business decision to take on a market with known inherent political risk.

Mr. Heinecke, picked Thailand because of its business opportunities. The characteristics that made it a lucrative market also have a negative side which he was well aware of. Do not blame foreign governments for doing their job and do not blame them for Thailand's poor brand image. One would think that a fellow like Mr. Heinecke that makes his living from marketing would appreciate that the perception of Thailand by decision makers in foreign governments is that Thailand is a corrupt haven for criminals and sex perverts. Deal with that image first and then maybe foreign governments will be more willing to respond to the Heinecke position. Some people do not want to hear this, but it is why some get the extreme examinations of our laptops, phones and luggage when we arrive from Thailand. How many people get similar customs attention when they arrive from Denmark or Austria?

The airport siezures and and associated travel disruptions imposed significant costs upon foreign governments. The Thai government has not responded appropriately to the concerns previously expressed by the governments now posting travel advisories. What did Mr. Heinecke expect when the multiple cautions and warnings from the delegation of ambassadors was rebuffed and dismissed? The foreign ministry representatives were not expressing their views but those of their national governments that had a duty to protect their nationals. The travel advisories are the direct result of the Thai government's inaction and neglect of the concerns expressed. It is incredibly stupid to raise the Toronto G-8/20 incidents as a justification for his position. In Toronto, although there was violence, there was no death, no seizure of airports and no long term threat to the population. The Canadian police services responded to the incidents and the court system moved in a fast and transparent method to address the issue. The use of Greece as an excuse is equally pathetic. Europeans already know that Greece is a basket case and do not need to be warned. The diffference as Mr. Heinecke well knows is that in Toronto and Greece, the riots were directed at specific targets. Civilians were not and are not subject to random bombs or tossed grenades. Foreigners do not encounter shakedowns from the police when they visit Canada. Neither Canada, nor Greece has an ongoing violent rebellion going on in a large part of their countires. When is the last time a teacher or public health official was decapitated by terrorists in these countries? Think about it. What's the biggest risk for an Austrlian snowboarder in Whistler BC? Running out of condoms or beer? Hardly the same situation for that same Australian in Thailand when there is a bomb blowing up is there?

National governments, particularly the Scandanavian countries that see families and the elderly traveling to Thailand had a duty to protect those people. These same families and old folks do not travel to Greece.

• Like 1

For those who appear to be against these travel warnings for Thailand, keep a couple of things in mind:

1. It's not the American government's responsibility to protect the financial bottom of line of tourist-related companies in the third world.

2. Not a single American was prevented from traveling anywhere in Thailand at any time because of these travel warnings. It was still the individual citizen's choice.

3. In a sense, these travel warnings are worst case scenarios. And I would have to say that May 19 was, indeed, close to the worst case scenario.

4. Keep in mind what these warnings usually say. They don't say cancel necessary business or medical trips. They basically say you ought to consider not going or going somewhere else if the importance of your trip is frolicking on the beach or visiting shopping malls on a holiday.

In fact, what might we be saying had Central World been open on the day it was torched and had been full of Thais and western tourists shopping and dining? Or what if it had been Mah Boon Krong that was torched when it's packed. Or what if a bomb had gone off just outside Big C...oops.

I don't mind the travel warnings at all. I can still decide how I want to react to them.

• Like 1

For those who appear to be against these travel warnings for Thailand, keep a couple of things in mind:

1. It's not the American government's responsibility to protect the financial bottom of line of tourist-related companies in the third world.

2. Not a single American was prevented from traveling anywhere in Thailand at any time because of these travel warnings. It was still the individual citizen's choice.

3. In a sense, these travel warnings are worst case scenarios. And I would have to say that May 19 was, indeed, close to the worst case scenario.

4. Keep in mind what these warnings usually say. They don't say cancel necessary business or medical trips. They basically say you ought to consider not going or going somewhere else if the importance of your trip is frolicking on the beach or visiting shopping malls on a holiday.

In fact, what might we be saying had Central World been open on the day it was torched and had been full of Thais and western tourists shopping and dining? Or what if it had been Mah Boon Krong that was torched when it's packed. Or what if a bomb had gone off just outside Big C...oops.

I don't mind the travel warnings at all. I can still decide how I want to react to them.

Pretty well what I was going to post in a nutshell! Travel advisories are just that...Advisories. Ignore them at your peril and remember that your travel insurance will probably not be worth the paper it is written on if you travel to a country which your government has advised you not to!

• Like 1

I agree with MR Heinecke. Thailand is a big country with more than 70 million people. A big demonstration with a dreadful ending in Bangkok does not mean the whole country is unsafe. Here in the southern parts of Thailand like Phuket, Krabi, Koh Phi Phi there is not even a small thing to see about the politic issues of Bangkok and the northern provinces. People can go to a beach and order a drink from a Thai in a red shirt and at the same time order some food from a Thai in a yellow shirt. The people here are interested in tourism, while we make money it is okay. Krabi province about 900 KM away from Bangkok is unsafe due to demonstrations in Bangkok? Well let me see and keep it fair, demonstrations in Amsterdam from people who don't like the government housing rules, so that means a negative travel advise for the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Austria because all of these countries are in a limit of 900 km from Amsterdam. It does not matter what kind of protest it is, look at the kind of protest, the way it spread out over the country and base your decision on the facts not on: I have holiday when we agree on negative or There is no economic profit from the country. After Tsunami there was a negative travel advise, after the closing down of airports there was a negative travel advise, as soon as the demonstrations begun in Bangkok there was a negative travel advise. I think the most of the embassies are trying to have more holidays then ever. During the demonstrations the embassies of many Europe countries closed down, that means no help for the people out of their country. I am sure that a embassy is made to help people out of their country in times of trouble, but our embassy choose to close down due the fact that there is trouble going on in Thailand. They left for a nice beach holiday outside the area and left their country man behind. If the employees of the embassy can have a beach holiday in the same country as from which the say it is unsafe to travel to this country I get confused. We went for a Schengen Visa to Bangkok in April, but our embassy told us it is unsafe in Bangkok so don't go there on the website. When we applied for the visa they told us to wait 3 days, after I stated their website they apologist. Your website says unsafe but you telling me wait 3 days??? We stayed outside Bangkok and waited 2 days to get the visa. Thanks for the quick help, but it seems to me that embassies are the same as Thailand. AMAZING.

He's pretty right in most things he says in his letter - the majority of the country was affected by the lack of visitors whereas it was a few blocks in BKK that the major problem occurred. Sure Chiang Mai, Udon Thani and other provinces had violence for a short period of time but tourist areas down south such as Koh Samui and Phuket & Krabi were virtual ghost towns. Why should business owners - and it doesn't matter if they're white, asian, chinese, black, in these areas suffer for what is happening 600km away. Good on Heinecke for standing up and saying what he thinks I haven't seen any other business leaders have the guts to do it.

Thanks chosen1,

Let's see. Who should I believe, TV armchair experts or a guy who employs 1000's of Thai's not to mention the milk co-ops he has sponsored?

As a Thai citizen he is well within his rights to discuss the political situation here.

I think you are much more likely to be killed at a German rock concert.

Edited by powderpuff

Hmm well I wouldn't expect to get full truth either from a man who has business and development interests in the country he's writing about. Interesting his letter is dated July 25th, probably just hours before the bomb at Big C / Central World.

:rolleyes: Yes and we have to move things along don't we Bill as our new US$ 10 million villas at Four Seasons Samui haven't made a sale yet ?

Good letter from Mr. Heinecke -- in it he says:

"I am passionate about the continuing recovery of the hotel industry and how we can transform any negative worldwide perceptions that linger from the recent turmoil..."

However, as his Four Seasons Resort (Mae Rim) Chiang Mai, goes for on Agoda.com $US 564 per night, I wonder just whom he is addressing.

Edited by jazzbo

KhunRobert,

I appreciate that you are all the way in Krabi. However, how do most visitors make their way to your place of business? I believe that they arrive via Bangkok. Unfortunately, during the last round of civil unrest, the airport was blockaded and tens of thousands of foreigners were stranded. The Thai government did not respond to the multiple inquiries and requests from many foreign governments in respect to the safety and security of the airport to prevent a repeat of events. Do you not recall the chaos that occurred and the throngs of people blaming their own governments for not acting? Well the foreign governments acted. If Frankfurt is closed for a week, there are alternatives. Other airports can be accessed. This is not the case in Bangkok.

Surely, you are not serious when you state that you "think the most of the embassies are trying to have more holidays then ever". You do realize that most of the foreign government offices are staffed by workers that belong to public service unions. The collective agreements impose worker safety requirements in respect to employees working in areas of conflict. As well, many of the older employees do have their own families that they have to take care of. The staff at the embassies did not just up and go on holiday. They took on contingency preparations and they answered phone calls. I believe you are German. If so, please note that the German embassy has an emergency line operational 24/7. The current ambassador Dr. Schumacher is no coward. He was posted to Baghdad in 2008. The garbage in Bangkok was not going to scare him off. As he had served in a warzone, I think he was capable of deciding when to close an office if there was a safety concern. He had an obligation to ensure that his staff were not killed or otherwise injured.

It took you 2 days to get a visa? That's pretty good.You don't state what time you arrived and the day of the week, You do realize that there is a 5 hour time difference between Bangkok and Berlin. The documentation staff in Bangkok have to input the data, then the info has to be verified back in Germany and then approved. It took me 3 weeks to get a priority rush visa for India, Do you have any idea how long it can take for some people to get a Schengen on a good day? Google it. It can be as long as 10 days. 2 days is fast. Alot of people have to settle for 3-5 days.

You made the decision to invest in a business in Krabi. The various foreign governments have an obligation and duty to protect their nationals using the limited budgets allowed them by the taxpayers. That's their business. As was wisely mentioned in an earlier entry, none of the foreign governments was stopping anyone from traveling to Thailand.

Edited by geriatrickid

Bill has been here for most of his life. His businesses have sprung from his affinity for this country, not the other way around. He has done more for this country than any of you lot.

Agree or disagree, but don't malign the man with untruths.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

A tourist/traveler warning for Thailand and other countries with like circumstances, was probably in order. The gateway to Thailand for most travelers is via Bangkok. The locals may be astute enough to know detours around but the visitors, in all likely hood do not. The travel warnings with the demonstrations, and subsequent shootings, fires, destruction, etc, would seem to be a responsible government, making informative information available to its citizens who may be contemplating travel. As a citizen of Thailand, I can see where the proposal for a committee to interface with the powers that be, may have originated. All of us who have lived in Thailand for any length of time, including Heinecke, have to have been exposed to the committee system,member make up, speed of decisions, outside influence, etc. I am so glad storm warning, tsunamis, etc warning/advisories are not issued by committee recommendation.

The various governments who issued warning, (several) were doing a small part of what should be a job description. It is too bad that warning to tourists/travelers of the various scams, social dangers, etc, are not publicized as well. The local of these troubles would be next to impossible to pinpoint to a specific street location, thus the entire country would be included.

Warnings are justified as warnings. Travel bans are not. Tourists must be informed that it is possible to go near an ATM and be caught in a bomb blast...even if it may be a small one. I do not think the risk is too high but others may. Business losses as a consequence may be better averted by bussiness leaders training their staff and including teaching on the economic cost of their involvement in violence including losing their jobs

Edited by harrry

Bill has been here for most of his life. His businesses have sprung from his affinity for this country, not the other way around. He has done more for this country than any of you lot.

Agree or disagree, but don't malign the man with untruths.

Yes and no.He is a clever guy and his business record is impressive not least because he understands and plays by the rules of the (Sino-Thai scamming) Thai game.If that is interpreted as a back handed compliment, so be it.

I have read through the OP and the subsequent postings.

To me the essential point of the OP is that, if governments have a system in place for warning their nationals about travelling abroad, then that system must gather its information from reliable and correct sources in order for it to make a sound decision.

It is right, IMHO, that Mr Heinecke ask that the system be reviewed. There are sufficient agencies involved here (i.e., the governments of all nations other than Thailand) to preclude any conspiratorial response or any response that is motivated by corporate financial gain.

We saw the poor quality of reporting by some agencies of the recent troubles. That too was caused by poor gathering of information and the subsequent criticism that they have received will hopefully make them review their systems and improve their standard of reporting in the future.

Mr Heinecke is in a good position to be able to voice an opinion that might otherwise be unheard. His protests in themselves do no harm; it is up to the governments in question as to how they wish to respond. People will rightly judge what he has said (as is readily apparent on here) but that is their right, just as it is Mr Heinecke's right to say whatever he wants regarding the matter.

wai.gif

• Like 2

I have read through the OP and the subsequent postings.

To me the essential point of the OP is that, if governments have a system in place for warning their nationals about travelling abroad, then that system must gather its information from reliable and correct sources in order for it to make a sound decision.

It is right, IMHO, that Mr Heinecke ask that the system be reviewed. There are sufficient agencies involved here (i.e., the governments of all nations other than Thailand) to preclude any conspiratorial response or any response that is motivated by corporate financial gain.

We saw the poor quality of reporting by some agencies of the recent troubles. That too was caused by poor gathering of information and the subsequent criticism that they have received will hopefully make them review their systems and improve their standard of reporting in the future.

Mr Heinecke is in a good position to be able to voice an opinion that might otherwise be unheard. His protests in themselves do no harm; it is up to the governments in question as to how they wish to respond. People will rightly judge what he has said (as is readily apparent on here) but that is their right, just as it is Mr Heinecke's right to say whatever he wants regarding the matter.

wai.gif

:clap2:

:coffee1:

Warnings are justified as warnings. Travel bans are not. Tourists must be informed that it is possible to go near an ATM and be caught in a bomb blast...even if it may be a small one. I do not think the risk is too high but others may. Business losses as a consequence may be better averted by bussiness leaders training their staff and including teaching on the economic cost of their involvement in violence including losing their jobs

Sorry I missed it where were travel BANS listed. :coffee1:

Edited by jayjay0

@Khun Robert

."" Krabi province about 900 KM away from Bangkok is unsafe due to demonstrations in Bangkok?""

In spite of a few flights straight to Phuket, If I want to go there odds are my plane will land in BKK . You're talking tourists who go straight down their intercontinental flight to the domestic flight on to their final beach destination, and back . But not all tourists travel like this , the independent backpacker will spend time in KaoSan Road etc and wait at the bus terminal.

Well, I don't feel like waiting at a bus terminal or a railway station in BKK, PHuket , or CM , or Udon Thani, just now.

Besides, apart from terrorist bombs, some people have lost their job , some got violent notions from just watching the news, and purses and luggage will tend to be stolen more , scams will increase, people will be nervous. Just a guess.

I hope I can go next year . I wouldn't take my son to T this summer ( he's Thaï) even if I could.