I have looked at many many threads and it is so f*****g confusing, I want to

stay in Thailand 1 year, no work permit, no marriage, no retiremrent.

If i get toursit visa in states for ? 60 days + 30 days 1900 batt, how do i do this

over again while staying in Thailand?

Please help

Jim

You can do like p1p says or....if you are from one of the 'prefered' countries (go to a Thai embassy site and find the list of countries whose citizens don't need visas to enter Thailand) you need to leave the country before your visa expires and then return and get an entry card without a visa.

I'll explain. If you are a citizen of one of the preferred countries (US, UK, most of europe, japan I think,...go and see the list yourself on the Thai embassy site) you are not required to have a visa to enter Thailand for 30 days for the purpose of tourism. The advantage of this is you don't have to go to a Thai embassy to get the entry card. For example: You're in Nong Khai and your visa runs out today...you don't want to take two days to go to Vientienne to get a visa and you don't want to pay money for a visa....so....exit Thailand...you cross the bridge...enter Laos(go through Lao immigration to enter the country) and immediately go to Lao immigration at the gate to leave the country...exit Laos (your total time of stay in Laos will be about one hour and if you like to drink good beer you will stop at the shop that is right there conveniently by the immigration station and buy a box of Beer Lao to bring back with you)...cross the bridge...enter Thailand...tell immigration that you are a tourist wanting a 30 day entry card...they give it to you...you go on your merry way...but remember you must leave the country and repeat this within 30 days. You can repeat this as many times as you like...you must carry 10,000 baht with you to SHOW (not give) to Thai immigration since they require this to show that you are not destitute.

If i get toursit visa in states for ? 60 days + 30 days 1900 batt, how do i do this

Please help

Jim

If you want to stay one year, than simply get a one-year multiple-entry non immigrant visa in the States before you leave. In my experience, the best way is by mail, and the best place for your visa is:

COLORADO

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200

DENVER, CO 80204

Tel : (303) 892-0118

Fax : (303) 892-0119

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. Ringby

Update on Denver, Colorado from member Louis

The contact person at the Consulate office in Denver, Colorado, is: Jen Gauthiere, Consul assistant, email [email protected], the office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am to 12:30pm, and their phone number is:(303)892-0118. Jen is the consul assistant and is most helpful.

From Chiang Mai, the closest border crossing point is at Mae Sai, across from Tachilek, Myanmar. You can get there by taking a van, sunrise to sunset, that will also show you some tourist sites and give you buffet lunch overlooking the Golden Triangle, for about 800 baht. Plus 250 baht at the border, but you have to be ready to show 20,000 or 10,000 baht to the Thai official upon returning (preferably cash on your person, to prove you are supporting yourself). You can also get there on public buses, rent a motorcycle, etc., but it's still a full day.

Perhaps one reason some of the regular posters here are giving you a hard time is your requirements, "I want to stay in Thailand 1 year, no work permit, no marriage, no retirement." That eliminates why most people would want to come and stay in Thailand - to work or be retired, or live with a Thai spouse. You're putting yourself into the category of hippie/backpacker. What do you plan to do during 12 months - just bum around, smoke dope, and get laid?

We answered your original question about visas or lack thereof. Now you want us to plan your every move? What if you are in Saphanburi... where should you go? What if you are in Phompisai...where should you go? You are not paying us enough to be your personal travel guide.

It sounds like getting a "real visa" before coming has become easier since I was last residing there almost 2 years ago.

I always was irked by the monthly visa expense. I did the trip to Mae Sai just to have the touristic experience once. More than enough. I am wondering why no one has mentioned the other alternative. Has the 1,100 baht option (albeit not Kosher though favorably looked upon by those involved) completely dried up? Not sure if I should say more here, but I am sure you know what I am referring to.

Sorry if I am behind the times but all of my recent visits could only be for a month, so never had to think about a visa. It will be so nice to have some sort of hassle free ligitimate long term visa when I get back. I'll follow up when I get closer to departing on the contact that Ajarn mentioned.

Okay, here's the thing......if you were still in the US you could apply for a one year non-immigrant visa through the honorary Thai consulate in denver, Colorado and chances are very good you would get it. I have never known anyone not who didn't. But since you came all the way here without one....head to Mai Sai every 30 days and make sure you have 10,000 baht cash in your pocket when you return to Thailand. As one who is here working I have to share the curiosity if many of the posters and ask you..."Why are you here?'

:o

Please help

Jim

If you want to stay one year, than simply get a one-year multiple-entry non immigrant visa in the States before you leave. In my experience, the best way is by mail, and the best place for your visa is:

COLORADO

DENVER, CO 80204

The contact person at the Consulate office in Denver, Colorado, is: Jen Gauthiere, Consul assistant, email [email protected], the office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am to 12:30pm, and their phone number is:(303)892-0118. Jen is the consul assistant and is most helpful.

Thank You I called Denver today, sent my passport $125.00, will get back next week, good for up to 15 mos.

Heh! "JIMMYF" I'll help you out mate. I can arrange Visa runs to Mae Sai 7 hour turn around, air con car, fuel and the driver all inclusive 2,500 baht. If you can find a couple of mates then all the cheaper for you. Mr. PHONG 09-2631988.

Okay, here's the thing......if you were still in the US you could apply for a one year non-immigrant visa through the honorary Thai consulate in denver, Colorado and chances are very good you would get it. I have never known anyone not who didn't. But since you came all the way here without one....head to Mai Sai every 30 days and make sure you have 10,000 baht cash in your pocket when you return to Thailand. As one who is here working I have to share the curiosity if many of the posters and ask you..."Why are you here?'

When returning Thailand one have to show Baht10K in cash, will the immigration accept a bank book with more than Baht 10K in the account?

When returning Thailand one have to show Baht10K in cash, will the immigration accept a bank book with more than Baht 10K in the account?

No....it must be cash.....next someone will ask, "why?" and then someone will say, "yeah it really sucks...this shows how stupid the Thai gov't is." and then I'll have to write, "stop whining and just take 10,000 baht with you..its not a big deal....if you don't have that much money then how will you live in Thailand for 30 days anyway?" Nothing personal in this....it probably wouldn't be you who would make those whiney posts, would it?

Jimmy F, as for me, I don't care why you are here. Maybe the weather is good for your nose picking.....I don't really care.

Edited by chownah

Please help

Jim

COLORADO

DENVER, CO 80204

Thanks for this info. It amazes me that they now have falang honorary consuls general and the process seems logical and relatively easy. BTW, here is a list of all CG in USA: http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm#CG

Since marriage and work permit are not options for me, I guess I'll be taking the retirement route. Does anyone know the pros and cons of retirement visa vs non immigrant? Is renewal of retirement visa an easy process? I tried calling a few of these offices but none were open Saturday, it seems.

As I read the retirement rules you can show an equivilant of baht 800.000 in a bank outside of Thailand initially. Then I guess you must have this amt. in a Thai bank when you renew 1 year later?

Thanks all. I look forward to being back in LOS later this year.

Thanks Doc

A few more questions if y'all don't mind. I guess just ignore me if I am asking too much.

Can the renewal for retirement visa (O-A?) be done by mail or do you go in to your local office? What is the annual renewal fee? Can you keep renewing indefinitely as long as you keep your nose clean and can show B800,000 in the bank? Anything else to keep in mind?

And, best of all, does this mean I never again need make a needless run to Mae Sai? :o WOW!

Hi

It’s a pity that some people have been here so long that they forget how confusing the visa thing can be.

Now I don’t know if this will help as I have UK passport and things may be different for other nationals.

What you need is a double entry tourist visa. This will give you 60 days plus 30 day extension, 1900bt at any immigration office. After that 30 days is up just leave the country anywhere, from BKK they have 1kb day trips to the Cambodia border just for this, if you down south go via to Hat Yai I can give you details. All you need to do is stamp out of Thailand into the other country out of the other country and back into Thailand for your second entry.

This will give you another 60 days and 30 day extension. After this you will have to go to a Thai embassy in another country to get another double entry tourist visa and start all over again.

This you can do several time till you get 4-5 double entry visas then they start to get a little twitchy and you may have to show financial means, but it can give you at least 2 years as tourist without hassle.

Hope this helps.