Dual Citizenship Thai/German Over 21

3. For individual who enter into the kingdom with foreign passport then changed nationality to Thai. If he/she still use that foreign passport, the officer make a report to Special Branch to revoke Thai nationality.

The above quote applies to a person who was born with a non-Thai nationality, arrived in Thailand with his non-Thai passport, whilst in Thailand acquired the Thai nationality through naturalisation. Is this how you got your Thai nationality? In this situation it is unavoidable and acceptable that you entered Thailand with your German passport and leave with your Thai passport, because it is expected that from the moment you get your Thai nationality you use only your Thai identification documents for everything related to Thailand, including for leaving and entering Thailand.

...But when I will never use the German PPT again here in THailand, why do I have to pay overstay when I am a Thai already...

It depends on how you acquired your Thai nationality. If you acquired it through naturalisation you were obviously in Thailand as a foreigner until you got your Thai nationality and until that date you were bound to comply with the regulations applicable to foreigners, ie get extensions of stay and notify your staying longer than 90 days to the immigration office.

Care to tell us how you acquired your Thai nationality, so that we may give you information specific to your situation?

--

Maestro

Sure Maestro, I have nothing to hide.

As I wrote before, I am a lug krueng. So my mom is Thai and my dad is German. That means as far as I know that I am Thai since the day I was born. I went to the embassy in Germany where I got my Thai birth certification. Than entered Thailand with my German PPT and went to the registration office where I got my entry into my moms home register and the ID. This is just a short summary coz in real it took 6 months.

Even the registration office knew about my German nationality and asked when I am going to pick up my ID. (They do not have them anymore coz they have a problem with the new chip so I just got this yellow paper)

Hope this could help you.

Thanks from my side.

Thank you, Luckes, I see more clearly now. In a situation like yours, born outside Thailand to a Thai parent, the usual thing is to get the first Thai passport from the Thai embassy in the country of birth. Useless information for you now, as you are in Thailand now and got your Thai passport in Thailand. So you still have the choice of two things, either leave Thailand with your German passport and pay the 20,000 Baht overstay fine or leave with your Thai passport, making sure that you do not show also your German passport to the Thai immigration officer, only to the check-in staff. For additional camouflage you can, if you wish, get a Schengen visa from the German embassy in your Thai passport, in which case even the airline staff does not need to see your German passport. I don't know if they give the visa free to dual nationals, like the Swiss embassy does.

--

Maestro

Hehe, I thought about the visa too for Germany but I thought they wouldn't issue me one if they know I am a German. That's kind of funny :)

Thanks for your responses and wish you all the best!

:)

• 5 weeks later...

OK two things here. First, if you entered on your German Passport, then leave on it - otherwise you will be an overstay. Second, ignore them, it is perfectly legal for you to have more than one nationality - Thailand accepts dual nationality (the PM is for starters!). My wife and kids have two passports. They enter/leave Thailand using their Thai passports, and enter/leave the UK using their British ones. No problems in 12 years doing this. He who must not be named was born in the USA, so may well have two passports also (anyone know for sure?)

I believe the problem is due to a confusion. From what I have been told, dual National children can choose to drop their Thai nationality in favour of their foreign one at 19, but be totally dual prior to that. However, my understanding of this is its a choice, and if not taken, that person continues as a dual national.

in order for the kid to have a thai passport will he have to be born in thailand or can he be born outside thailand while his mother is thai national and his father a farang ?

If born of a Thai parent the child will have Thai nationality. Take birth certificate to local Thai Embassy to write up a Thai version and to obtain Thai Passport. When return to Thailand can then be entered on home register and if of age issued a Thai ID card.

You may want to be sure other nationality allows dual citizenship before doing.

OK two things here. First, if you entered on your German Passport, then leave on it - otherwise you will be an overstay. Second, ignore them, it is perfectly legal for you to have more than one nationality - Thailand accepts dual nationality (the PM is for starters!). My wife and kids have two passports. They enter/leave Thailand using their Thai passports, and enter/leave the UK using their British ones. No problems in 12 years doing this. He who must not be named was born in the USA, so may well have two passports also (anyone know for sure?)

I believe the problem is due to a confusion. From what I have been told, dual National children can choose to drop their Thai nationality in favour of their foreign one at 19, but be totally dual prior to that. However, my understanding of this is its a choice, and if not taken, that person continues as a dual national.

in order for the kid to have a thai passport will he have to be born in thailand or can he be born outside thailand while his mother is thai national and his father a farang ?

OK this is what we did. Wne to Thai Embassy (in London in our case) and applied for Thai Birth Certs (needed these before passport was given) using English Birth certs and Thai translations (they were sent to Bangkok and we had to wait). Once we had the Thai Birth Certs. we went back to the Embassy and applied for a passport for each of our girls. The older girl had to sign her name on an electronic scratch pad, the younger had to give a thumb print (using a digital reader). Both Mrs (Thai) and me (not) had to fill in forms, show verified Id, marriage cert and Thai birth certs of kids - we had out finger pribts taken then we had to wait for about 4 hours. Then we had to sign another piece of paper and was asked some basic questions. A couple of weeks later the passports came by post from the London Embassy. Front page states that Passports were given to Thai citizens born outside of Thailand.