Vietnam Coffee In Thailand

klfopera

Does anyone know where I can buy coffee (preferably whole beans) from Vietnam in Thailand? I am looking for the coffee with the rich chocolate flavor that you can get at, for example, Cafe Mai in Hanoi. A friend bought some for me from some place in Silom many years ago but I never could find the shop. I actually have made trips to Vietnam to get it but that was when i (thought) i was rich and i certainly am not now!!

I can get it back in the USA when i am there because someone imports it.

Trung Nguyen is one of the major exporters of Vietnamese coffee, it's a popular brand for Overseas Vietnamese and I'm sure it is the taste you are looking for .

Trung Nguyen coffee is available at many stores in Bangkok and they even have a Thai website at http://www.trungnguyen-th.com/ with all the info you need. Enjoy!

Thank you very much! Trung Nguyen is the coffee I can get in USA. This is definitely the answer for me.

• 5 months later...

There's also a guy who sells Vietnamese coffee for 99 baht a bag. He advertises on craigslist. His name is Nick and you can contact him at 084664-0401. Nick lives in Ladprao but comes to Sukhumvit fairly often.

I've seen those ridiculous ads. The seller seems unwilling/unable/incapable of providing the most basic pricing information in his advertising. How much coffee is in a bag? Who knows? Who cares!

• 5 weeks later...

There's also a guy who sells Vietnamese coffee for 99 baht a bag. He advertises on craigslist. His name is Nick and you can contact him at 084664-0401. Nick lives in Ladprao but comes to Sukhumvit fairly often.

I've seen those ridiculous ads. The seller seems unwilling/unable/incapable of providing the most basic pricing information in his advertising. How much coffee is in a bag? Who knows? Who cares!

I suspect that if you bothered to call him, you would find out. As Forest Gump said, ------ is as -------- does....

• 1 year later...

French colonists, realising that conditions were ideal for coffee cultivation, first planted coffee in the South Central Highlands region of Vietnam. The coffee also proved popular with a local resident: the common palm civet (Paradoxurus Hermaphoditus), a weasel-like animal, which quickly developed a taste for the sweet, fleshy outer layers of the coffee 'cherries' - the fruit of the coffee bush.

It was found that the fruit seeds, what we know as coffee 'beans', passed though the civet largely undigested and the resulting beans, when washed and sun-dried, had undergone a remarkable change to produce a uniquely smooth and delicious flavour. Perhaps this was because the civet would choose only the best and ripest beans to eat, but also because the beans had been modified by enzyme reactions on their journey.

Legendee Coffee is wonderful and you can order on-line

• 4 weeks later...

Trung Nguyen is one of the major exporters of Vietnamese coffee, it's a popular brand for Overseas Vietnamese and I'm sure it is the taste you are looking for .

Trung Nguyen coffee is available at many stores in Bangkok and they even have a Thai website at http://www.trungnguyen-th.com/ with all the info you need. Enjoy!

Correct, they also deliver in the UK form a web site. I order it and have it mailede to a friends house and they bring it over when visiting 12 bags at a time, I also find when drunk neat a bit rich for me I mix it 50/50 with a local macro brand.

French colonists, realising that conditions were ideal for coffee cultivation, first planted coffee in the South Central Highlands region of Vietnam. The coffee also proved popular with a local resident: the common palm civet (Paradoxurus Hermaphoditus), a weasel-like animal, which quickly developed a taste for the sweet, fleshy outer layers of the coffee 'cherries' - the fruit of the coffee bush.

It was found that the fruit seeds, what we know as coffee 'beans', passed though the civet largely undigested and the resulting beans, when washed and sun-dried, had undergone a remarkable change to produce a uniquely smooth and delicious flavour. Perhaps this was because the civet would choose only the best and ripest beans to eat, but also because the beans had been modified by enzyme reactions on their journey.

Legendee Coffee is wonderful and you can order on-line

Tis is sold in Vietnam called weasel coffee, not the same as the chocolate flavour.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, I was just doing a search for ''buy Vietnamese coffee in Thailand'' and arrived here..!

Seems other folks are looking for the same thing...

I'll check out Coffevina in Sukhumvit later in the week.

Anyway, what amazes me is the fact that you CANNOT buy Vietnamese coffee in any of the big supermarkets here in Thailand...why don't the likes of big C or foodland stock it...violin.gif

AND yet Vietnamese coffee is probably the BEST coffee in the world... coffee1.gif

• 11 months later...

"Anyway, what amazes me is the fact that you CANNOT buy Vietnamese coffee in any of the big supermarkets here in Thailand...why don't the likes of big C or foodland stock it... AND yet Vietnamese coffee is probably the BEST coffee in the world..."

I wonder why that is? I'm a new convert to Vietnamese coffee and I've been looking everywhere (Bangkok to Chiang mai). While I was doing my search I put Thai coffee through a taste test and none came close. I like Thai coffee (pick it over western anyday) but ... wow... Vietnamese coffee is fantastic.

There is a shop on the ground floor of the Trendy Mall (Sukhumvit Soi 17 I think) in Bangkok, that sells Trung Nguyen. They have various types, prices seem to be around 200 to 250 THB for 250g.

You will know the shop when you see it - the window indicates nothing about coffee, but displays lots of model sailing ships.

"Anyway, what amazes me is the fact that you CANNOT buy Vietnamese coffee in any of the big supermarkets here in Thailand...why don't the likes of big C or foodland stock it... AND yet Vietnamese coffee is probably the BEST coffee in the world..."

I wonder why that is? I'm a new convert to Vietnamese coffee and I've been looking everywhere (Bangkok to Chiang mai). While I was doing my search I put Thai coffee through a taste test and none came close. I like Thai coffee (pick it over western anyday) but ... wow... Vietnamese coffee is fantastic.

My understanding is that much of the Vietnamese coffee is roasted in butter, which imparts that rich, chocolatey flavour.

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that much of the Vietnamese coffee is roasted in butter, which imparts that rich, chocolatey flavour.

Most Vietnamese coffee is low grade and sold to companies like Nescafe. Vietnam needs to drop that low grade stuff and get planting a higher grade coffee. I have had coffee in Vietnam and cannot say it was that good really.

As Vietnam has grown to the be the second largest exporter (first in Robusta - used for making instant) of coffee, there have been many reports about the ecological impacts (deforestation, overuse of fertilizer and water, slave-like conditions for workers) on the country.

There has also been a sever drought, coupled with a drought in Brazil, may lead to much higher prices going froward.

Vietnamese style coffee is usually dripped at the table, and served with sweetened condensed milk, which in my limited experience doesn't do much to reveal the quality of the actual roasted bean.

• 1 month later...

I just flew back from Vientiane, Laos this afternoon and I had a great time trying all the coffee there. It's the best stuff I've tried in South East Asia by far.

I bought way too much I am looking to sell several kilos of these excellent fresh roasted beans. This comes from a fair trade organic farm in the Bolavan Plateau located in southern Laos. This batch was roasted on June 25.

I have two different varieties. One is 100% Arabica and the other is a classic Italian style blend which makes a brilliant Espresso.

Asking 750 Baht per Kilo. I am located around BTS Asoke.

I couldn't find good beans in Bangkok so I bought in bulk. This is too much for my needs and I would hate for it to spoil on my shelf. If you're sick of the Nescafe and ready to grind your own beans send me a message and I'll sell you a bag.

• 1 year later...

A few years back I bought a bag of green Viet coffee beans on Ebay. They were billed as Blue Hills Vietnamese Robusto. This was my first foray into home roasting my own coffee. Loved it! Definitely not for the faint of heart... they do not call it "robusto" for nothing.
Anyway, I will head on up to Trendy Plaza today to check the Coffee Vina folks out. They have a cool and amusing {to me} website.

Amazingly difficult to find any sort of coffee apparatus here in Bkk. I found cone paper filters at Tesco, but no kind of drip funnel maker to go with. I found a place to buy all kinds of intriguing coffee beans, and high end coffee/espresso makers, but not a single grinder. Love those little burr mills the streetside carts have, but I have given up on trying to learn anything about anything until I learn a whole lot more Thai language. rolleyes.gif

Archived