Farang Gold

FarangCravings

14K specifically which is 58% real gold as opposed to 96% bought at the local gold shops.

Now with the economy as it is I have managed to get hold of about 90g of 14K Gold chains for a extremely cheap price and was wondering if the local Gold shops will buy it,

I know your going to say, why not go down and ask ? which I will do tommorow but wondering if anyone knows if they will buy 58% 14K gold at the gold shops obviously at a reduced rate of the 96% gold

If its 90g of 14K im guessing thats about 45% of real 100% gold.

No rush I can also dell them online as they are nice pieces but if I can get rid of em in one go that would be great.

anyone know

I can't imagine any gold shop buying 14k FC. I've taken in some rather beaten up Thai gold and had to argue with them to take it because they weren't convinced it was real Thai gold.

you will be very lucky to get a gold shop to buy 14K gold off you ,good luck.

The mrs just came in and indicated they would but not at the normal rate which makes sense

No worrys if they dont it was just a thought

hel_l if its 58.5% real gold at todays rate for gold it has to be worth something even scrap

90 grams of (real) 585 comes to 52,65 grams real gold.

the value will be around 65000 baht-but nobody will pay this to you-not in thailand and not elsewhere.

usually gold dealers will offer about 50%.

Yep your right just found this gold scrap site calculator http://gold.yabz.com/jewelry.htm which says its $2002 USD value

I know that jewelery stores in the States and Europe are not interested in purchasing Thai gold or asian gold unless they are specifically asian owned stores selling to asian customers. Tried it with no success.

My Thai g/f tells me it is the same in Thailand, not interested in farang gold or will only offer a very low price for it.

Perhaps there is no demand for it in Asia.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I know that jewelery stores in the States and Europe are not interested in purchasing Thai gold or asian gold unless they are specifically asian owned stores selling to asian customers. Tried it with no success.

My Thai g/f tells me it is the same in Thailand, not interested in farang gold or will only offer a very low price for it.

Spent some time yesterday researching it and it seems that there are places that will buy it, gold4cash buys it and so does other avenues it seems buying peoiple old gold jewelry has grown over the past few years, lets face it its still 58.3% real gold and gold is over $1000 ounce still, so its still worth scrap value which looks like most dealers will offer 50% of the gold content as they have to melt it and seperate the other 43% base metals.

There was a CBS inside job on cashforGold who hold partys for people to bring there old gold to and they weight it test it and then make an offer to purchase it apparently the fair price is 20% below the cost of the gold content but they were ripping people off by offering less than 40% of its real value.

I agree Asians like min 95% personally when the missus bough me a chain I could not wear the stuff its just too soft and kept breaking I think the only reason they like 95% is they can go the gold shop and change it for cash I think that's the only reason :D

Well that was an interesting session on Gold

Does anyone know about Silver.

My daughter wants us to buy a couple of Chains.

But i am hesitant as they try to tell you its solid Sliver, but to me Stirling Silver is the real Silver.

Do they have any special number or anything to watch out for.

Thanks.

Spent some time yesterday researching it and it seems that there are places that will buy it, gold4cash buys it and so does other avenues it seems buying peoiple old gold jewelry has grown over the past few years, lets face it its still 58.3% real gold and gold is over $1000 ounce still, so its still worth scrap value which looks like most dealers will offer 50% of the gold content as they have to melt it and seperate the other 43% base metals.

There was a CBS inside job on cashforGold who hold partys for people to bring there old gold to and they weight it test it and then make an offer to purchase it apparently the fair price is 20% below the cost of the gold content but they were ripping people off by offering less than 40% of its real value.

I agree Asians like min 95% personally when the missus bough me a chain I could not wear the stuff its just too soft and kept breaking I think the only reason they like 95% is they can go the gold shop and change it for cash I think that's the only reason :D

Interesting post and hope you get a fair price for your gold.

My experience is that Asian owned gold shops catering to Asian customers in the US will not buy Thai "baat" gold.

What NA and EU's call "carat gold" (9k, 10k, 14k, even 18k) is costume jewellery here. No gold shop will purchase them unless for a ridiculously low price. Some shops in CM will purchase 22k costume jewellery.

An option is to go to one of the costume jewellery mega-shops/factories for tourists and try there. (Lots of them along San Kampaeng Rd). A year ago they offered 1/2 of the current value touted by online dealers - but be aware, on-line shops are notoriously bad for "calculating" the weight of something, and their “calculated” weight counts – not yours.

Sterling silver is 95% pure (usually stamped 950). Real silver in bars or ingots is 99.99% pure and is the only purity level for investment purposes.

There is also another type of silver alloy called "German Silver". This is often sold as "silver" in China and Korea - but please know that "German Silver" contains NO silver and is actually an alloy of copper and zinc plus that LOOKS and feels like silver.

But i am hesitant as they try to tell you its solid Sliver, but to me Stirling Silver is the real Silver.

Thanks.

Sterling silver is 95% pure (usually stamped 950). Real silver in bars or ingots is 99.99% pure and is the only purity level for investment purposes.

There is also another type of silver alloy called "German Silver". This is often sold as "silver" in China and Korea - but please know that "German Silver" contains NO silver and is actually an alloy of copper and zinc plus that LOOKS and feels like silver.

Thanks.

rotweiler , here you are wrong.

Sterling Silver is always 925,(other stamps for silver are 800-835-900)

there is no stamp for Silver in 950.

950 is the official stamp for Platin

Thanks.

rotweiler , here you are wrong.

Sterling Silver is always 925,(other stamps for silver are 800-835-900)

there is no stamp for Silver in 950.

950 is the official stamp for Platin

Goldfinger.

Do you know what type of Silver Chains are sold around Chiang Mai.:D