Has Someone Banned Skype / Msn Video In Thailand ?

Mercury

About 10 days ago, perhaps just a little longer, Skype video stopped working. MSN video doesn't work either. Skype doesn't even register as being online al the time.

I don't know what the true problem is as I'm overseas and my Thai partner cannot resolve the issue. I've restored the laptop to a time when it did work and we can use video through Logitech but I cannot get to the bottom of why Skype no longer works.

I don't know who runs the telephone line it has stopped working on and I know that doesn't help but as I try to find out what has happened, I wanted to ask whether anyone knows a more general reason why Skype and perhaps MSN video is not working.

Skype is working fine here in Thailand. The fact that video from Skype and MSN stopped working at the same time suggests that it is a software/ driver problem. I would download the latest version of Skype from the net and re install. Hopefully that should fix the problem.

Skype not showing as online is a regular glitch that I've experienced. It usually happens if either party has logged on but not entered a conversation for a while. Simply signing out and signing back in solves the problem. Poor internet connection speed also causes skype log in problems at times.

Skype and MSN video works fine for me.

Thanks for the replies.

Where she is has had great broadband for the last couple of months and using Logitech the video is quite good and very stable so I don't see the absolute bandwidth as being the major issue. Skype had cut out a few times before but that can happen anywhere in the world. Just call again and hey presto, all is fine.

Never had these issues when in a different place with low BB, just weaker video.

Tried MSN because it was another source. It not working would have suggested something central but I have re-installed Skype and it made no difference and also restored the computer. Not much else I can do from afar really. Can't have it taken to Panthip though perhaps taking it to a local Somchai might be possible.

Thanks for the replies.

Where she is has had great broadband for the last couple of months and using Logitech the video is quite good and very stable so I don't see the absolute bandwidth as being the major issue. Skype had cut out a few times before but that can happen anywhere in the world. Just call again and hey presto, all is fine.

Never had these issues when in a different place with low BB, just weaker video.

Tried MSN because it was another source. It not working would have suggested something central but I have re-installed Skype and it made no difference and also restored the computer. Not much else I can do from afar really. Can't have it taken to Panthip though perhaps taking it to a local Somchai might be possible.

MSN uses a completely different engine to Skype. Sounds to me like it's just a slow connection for some reason. ermm.gif

MSN uses a completely different engine to Skype. Sounds to me like it's just a slow connection for some reason. ermm.gif

I guess it may well do but a slow or weak connection would not explain why Logitech video worked fine with a very high strength signal. Had it also been down and my not suspecting that anyone knows enough about it to deliberately block it, then I would happily go with the connection issue but as it worked great, I must return to my quest for another reason.

Just found out that the internet connection is True and I see another thread about True throttling international bandwidth. However, this morning, Skype and MSN not working but Logitech great video and sound for around 3 hours, only fading a little around 6pm Thailand time, Saturday 31st July.