How's Kho Phi Phi Now.

TizMe

I've got a mate coming to visit Thailand and he's asked me what its like on Kho Phi Phi now.

Does it look like:

a) a tsunami just hit it !!!

:o a giant building site

c) a paradise

d) none of the above.

I've got a mate coming to visit Thailand and he's asked me what its like on Kho Phi Phi now.

Does it look like:

a) a tsunami just hit it !!!

:o a giant building site

c) a paradise

d) none of the above.

PHI PHI ISLANDS

The initial reports received from Phi Phi were that the place was ‘wiped out.’ A visit to Ton Sai Bay on January 13 confirmed that, while this is the case with the Ton Sai Bay-facing stretches of the island, there are areas on the leeward side of the island that escaped any major destruction from the wave and are now fully operational and awaiting visitors.

Phi Phi Holiday Inn, Phi Phi Island Village Resort and Phi Phi Natural Resort are located on the north-western side of the island. Each hotel experienced a rise in the tide, and slight damage to their beachfronts but the areas have been cleaned up and today there is little evidence of the December 26 tsunami. These three beachfront resorts still offer all of the activities and spectacular island scenes that originally attracted people to Phi Phi. All dive, snorkelling and speedboat tours here are up and running and the report from the PADI scuba dive instructors on this side of the island is that the coral damage just offshore is minimal – the dive areas remain completely intact.

There are ferries running daily to each of these resorts. As for Ton Sai Bay, its future remains unclear. While there appears to be an efficient clean-up and restoration operation in place throughout the area, it may take many months before decisions are made on its remodelling. Reconstruction could take over a year to complete

http://www.phuketmagazine.com/tsunami.htm

bambi

• 5 months later...