Interesting Perspective On Pattaya

ProfessorFart

Two freinds of mine have just come back from their first visit to Thailand.

As a married couple in their 30s I was surprised when they said Pattaya had been their favourite place of all. They had been to Samui, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ko Samet and had wound up in Pattaya.

As this was their first visit they had used the Lonely Planet guide and found themselves somewhat coralled into all of the backpacker ghettos. Backpacker burnout soon followed but they lacked the knowledge of how to escape. A chance meeting with an old hand in Samui sent them to Sukhumwit in BKK and from there they found their way on to Pattaya. They said it was heaven. Not a backpacker in sight. After initially plannig a one or two night stay there they ended up putting in 10 days.

Their verdict was food for thought for all of these Pattaya knockers.

They said that only the most narrow minded would get upset at the sex trade there. Indeed they had some good nights out in the girly bars and enjoyed the company of both punters and girls alike.

The hotel they stayed at was outstanding value for money. They stayed at the Pattaya Garden Hotel and said it was spot on. The pool more than made up for a lack of beach for them.

They said Pattaya offered them a lot of tourist attractions in the area so when they weren't poolside there was plenty for them to do.

What attracted them most however was the vibe in general. They said the locals, fellow tourists and expats were all freindly and full of info. They liked the massive variety of restaurants and nightlife options on offer. They liked the laid back feel to the place in general as well. They were surprised that for a big resort just how little hustle and bustle there was and how relaxed everyone seemed there especially when compared to resorts on the Med.

They are now considering a swift return.

Hear hear ! !

If we could only stop all those vermin British and Ozzie journalists from spreading their malicious sh1t .

I know lots of couples, including some elderly ones who have been there and they all think its a great place. And I have never heard of anyone meeting girls who have been "forced" into making a living there.

Great stuff, Pattaya is a great place its not just about seedy bars theres lots to see and do, great hotels and restaurants a great nightlife and very good shopping!

I love it cant wait to get back in a few weeks :o .

QUOTE(chaiyapoon @ 2005-07-06 16:05:56)

Pattaya is a great place for two weeks,doubt if I could live there.

:o Thats why i have a house about 15 minutes away in the countryside best of both worlds!

Edited by daveb1

There's definately something for everyone. I prefer to go to the ex-pat area in the Soi Borkhao/Chaiyapoon area. More laid back than the beach area but still plenty of options and Crazy Dave's is a great little restaurant.

There's definately something for everyone. I prefer to go to the ex-pat area in the Soi Borkhao/Chaiyapoon area. More laid back than the beach area but still plenty of options and Crazy Dave's is a great little restaurant.

Yeah, have agree.I always stay in Soi Lenkee the next soi over.Much much better than Luton!! Hey fw1, worked there for nearly 30 years.

I love holidaying in Pattaya, put if off for many years before I stopped believing the hype and checked it out for myself.

The posters who said they couldn't live in Pattaya I tend to agree with, although if you live somewhere you have a very different lifestyle to when you're on holiday. Or put another way, I couldn't holiday in Pattaya permanently, I want to see 30

They did indeed confirm what I always knew, and I found their positiveity refreshing. If only more people would take their heads out of their <deleted> maybe Pattaya would get a better rap than it does.

Sad thing is that so many of these so called 'independent' travellers to Thailand are far from that and can't see beyond the ends of their guidebooks, few of which have good things to say about Pattaya.

It will only make more people go there and soon it will be overpriced and destroyed like Patong or the Med.

It is overpriced already... it's a tourist resort, and like all tourist resorts all over the world, everything is overpriced to extract the most from the tourists.

Please... don't come here... it's too expensive... go south instead.

:o

Yeah, have agree.I always stay in Soi Lenkee the next soi over.Much much better than Luton!! Hey fw1, worked there for nearly 30 years.

Glad you liked the place so much!

Try staying in a few different areas of the city.

Opposite Sukhumvit, which I would not really call Pattaya, but it is.

Jomtien

Walking Street Area. Soi White Inn has a few hotelsand apartments if you like that area.

What are you looking for in Pattaya? If you are not here for the nightlife or the Western ammenities, then it would not hurt for you to look at other cities..... or try Jomtien.

I have friends living in Huay Yai who love it there, and come into Pattaya only when they want to have fun. Otherwise, it is the quiet Huay Yai lifestyle.

Naklua is far quieter than Pattaya as well, but still close enough to foreign restaurants, Best Super Market, Carrefour, Foodland, Big C, Lotus, etc.

Try staying in a few different areas of the city. 

Walking Street Area.  Soi White Inn has a few hotelsand apartments if you like that area.

That is actually known as Soi P72.....I ususally stay at a hotel about halfway down...not too noisy and well priced