Varieties Of Tomatoes Available In Los?

Ikky Plush

The thing about tomatoes is that they are very susceptible to many viruses and wilts. These are (usually) found in the soil and are activated when a leaf has droplets of water on them keeping them wet. Varieties of tomatoes that are more primitive (smaller, harder, less sweet...like Thai tomatoes) are more resistent to these. That's why you don't see those big, sweeet, juicey beefsteak tomatoes in Thailand.....at least I think this is why. If you want to try to grow them then I recommend a greenhouse (you may say 'glasshouse') or at least a plastic cover so that rain does not fall on them and be carefull to only water the soil and not splash any water or soil onto the plants. I haven't tried this yet since I've been too busy with other things but I intend to try it some day.

I went over this subject with the Suphan Director of Agriculture.

1. If you order seeds by post from Australia etc, it should be ok.

I like the larger tomatoe the Gross Lisse, Its far better for cooking with, or even making a sandwich. I asked the Director where I could buy some plants or seeds, his response was the larger Tomatoes were old fashioned and no longer popular, and advised me to import the seeds from Australia.

Have bought in my own seeds for years usually the smaller sweeter varieties and they have done ok.Never had blight or virus so far.

Thanks everyone. My favourite is the cherry tomato. I've got seeds of three varieties bought here in the UK which I'll bring over and try to grow.

I do like tomatoes 'on the vine' here in the UK. Any tips on that method? :o

Have tried Gardeners delight,Alicante,Shirley and F1 variety Tornado not aware that any of these are particularly wilt resistant.They needed more support than in Uk and grew a lot quicker.Gardeners delight probably did best.

Unfortunately I travel the whole country for weeks at a time when I'm there and have to rely on friends to keep them watered,so get mixed results dependant on care levels.

Have bought in my own seeds for years usually the smaller sweeter varieties and they have done ok.Never had blight or virus so far.

Do you know the variety and if they are a fusarium resistant strain?

They are 'Gardener's Delight' and 'Tumbling Tom'. Two varieties not three as I thought. Don't know about their resistence. :o

Do you know the variety and if they are a fusarium resistant strain?

They are 'Gardener's Delight' and 'Tumbling Tom'. Two varieties not three as I thought. Don't know about their resistence. :o

I googled them and they don't appear to have any special wilt resistence. Do you grow them in containers or in the ground?...all year round?