Singapore Math Books, Primary Level

Has anyone had any experience using/teaching "Singapore Math" using any of these textbooks series:

* My Pals are Here

* New Syllabus Primary Maths

* Discover Maths

* Shaping Maths

Did it work well? How did Thai students take to it? Where did you buy it in Thailand (or have it shipped in)?

I am only interested in these four series titles.....

Thanks

Yes. I have taught this curriculum at two previous schools. Worlds finest..........as you undoubtedly know.

I have used (and trained teachers on) the New Syllabus and the Standards Edition. Have you had training on SM? If not then you are also going to need to access some other resources such as the books on Bar Modelling.

You will also need the Teachers Guides along with some Home Instructors Guides.

To the best of my knowledge they are not available for purchase in Thailand. You can buy them direct from here:

www.SGbox.com. They deliver worldwide.

You can buy the Home Instructors guides from here:

www.singaporemath.com

Be aware though that the above company only deliver within the USA. I have friends in the US so they forwarded that material to my schools.

It has always worked well. Suits Kinesthetic Learners down to a tee. Very visual and colourful.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Yes. I have taught this curriculum at two previous schools. Worlds finest..........as you undoubtedly know.

I have used (and trained teachers on) the New Syllabus and the Standards Edition. Have you had training on SM? If not then you are also going to need to access some other resources such as the books on Bar Modelling.

You will also need the Teachers Guides along with some Home Instructors Guides.

To the best of my knowledge they are not available for purchase in Thailand. You can buy them direct from here:

www.SGbox.com. They deliver worldwide.

You can buy the Home Instructors guides from here:

www.singaporemath.com

Be aware though that the above company only deliver within the USA. I have friends in the US so they forwarded that material to my schools.

It has always worked well. Suits Kinesthetic Learners down to a tee. Very visual and colourful.

Hi Phatcharanan,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not familiar with the "Bar Modeling" book, but I found it on singaporemath-com's website. I will check it out along with the other general teacher resources they list there.

SGbox seems to have a teachers guide of some sort, but it doesn't seem to be specific to a particular book or series. It's called "Singapore Teachers Handbook For Mathematics In Primary Schools". I had planned to order that.

I didn't consider the teacher/homeschooler guides from singaporemath-com because they seemed coupled with the series ("Primary Mathematics") they offer. Though I do see now that they have more general guides in their resource section; separate from the series specific guides.

I lean more towards New Syllabus series I found on SG Box because it is the latest standard, whereas the materials from singaporemath-com math ("Primary Maths" series) are based on an older standard.

For New Syllabus (as seen on SGBox), the workbooks seem priced OK (about US$8). The textbook is about US$37. I hope it isn't consumable at that price.

Thanks!

Welcome.

The textbooks (thankfully) are not consumable but the workbooks are. No doubt the copying machine will get some hammer!

If you buy the basic set for say, Prathom 2, then the total cost comes to nearer $40:00 per student. That does not include shipping of course.

What you may find useful on the Singaporemath.com site is the online tests for student placement. Just look for the placement tab at the top of the home page.

Buying at least one of the Home Instructors guides (per year group) is still an effective purchase as it does explain about the concepts, spiraling, heuristics etc............which apply no matter which series you use. Handy for parents! I previously scanned the Home guide into PDF format and emailed it out to the parents. That was followed up by a seminar with the PTA. It went very well.

Good luck in any event.

Edited by Phatcharanan

We are using a Singapore series called "My Pals are Here", as I have only taught various aspects of math to technician candidates prior to this, I have nothing to compare it to, however the Thai students with the drive to work seem to thrive on it. I am teaching Prathom 3. The school obtained them from a school supplier in Bangkok, they bought the workbooks and homework books x 4 for each student. A students book for the teacher to photocopy various elements and a teachers support pack. I have found it to be very good as there are many word problems and models to draw, the support pack gives ideas on how to present the lesson. The firm is Marshall Cavendish (Singapore) website, [marshallcavendish.com/education/sg"]www.marshallcavendish.com/education/

Edited by Scott
direct link removed/Scott

We are using a Singapore series called "My Pals are Here", as I have only taught various aspects of math to technician candidates prior to this, I have nothing to compare it to

I have used Heinemann math, Collins, Abacus and Saxon. Believe me.......you have the best for Primary right now.

The only 'drawback' with the Singapore books (fab that they are with word problems and Modeling) is a lack of 'drill'. Easily compensated for of course via free downloadable resources.

Hi Phatch

In the past we have dealt with C-ED Book Center, this time tho Head of English dealt directly with Singapore for Prathom 1-5 on the website. 2 practise books for each student, 1 per semester, 120 Baht each book, 4 Homework books, 2 per semester 250 Baht each book, a teachers pack, 1200 Baht and 2 student books for the teacher, 1 per semester, 200 Baht per book. Website is marshallcavendish.com/education/sg"]www.marshallcavendish.com/education/sg

Edited by Scott

We are using a Singapore series called "My Pals are Here", as I have only taught various aspects of math to technician candidates prior to this, I have nothing to compare it to

I have used Heinemann math, Collins, Abacus and Saxon. Believe me.......you have the best for Primary right now.

The only 'drawback' with the Singapore books (fab that they are with word problems and Modeling) is a lack of 'drill'. Easily compensated for of course via free downloadable resources.

Thanks for the info Phatch, yep there is a lack of drill in the workbooks, but "fillers" make up for that

edit spelling

Edited by aitch52

Hi Phatch

In the past we have dealt with C-ED Book Center, this time tho Head of English dealt directly with Singapore for Prathom 1-5 on the website. 2 practise books for each student, 1 per semester, 120 Baht each book, 4 Homework books, 2 per semester 250 Baht each book, a teachers pack, 1200 Baht and 2 student books for the teacher, 1 per semester, 200 Baht per book.

Edited by Scott