Mi Ghoreng Noodles

drummer

"Indiomamie" or something, I think. Indonesian, I believe- but they are my favorite type of instant noodle by a few dozen miles. Anyone know them? or where I can get them? The villa Mart on Suk. has them from time to time, but is consistly sold out - as is the current situation.

Thanks!

"Indiomamie" or something, I think.  Indonesian, I believe-  but they are my favorite type of instant noodle by a few dozen miles.  Anyone know them?  or where I can get them?  The villa Mart on Suk. has them from time to time,  but is consistly sold out - as is the current situation. 

Thanks!

Anyone know them? >> i dont know ..sorry

or where I can get them? The villa Mart on Suk. has them from time to time>> you have your own answer ... but i wish u could find it when you want

Bambi

"Indiomamie" or something, I think.  Indonesian, I believe-  but they are my favorite type of instant noodle by a few dozen miles.  Anyone know them?  or where I can get them?  The villa Mart on Suk. has them from time to time,  but is consistly sold out - as is the current situation. 

Thanks!

Anyone know them? >> i dont know ..sorry

or where I can get them? The villa Mart on Suk. has them from time to time>> you have your own answer ... but i wish u could find it when you want

Bambi

:o

Penang.....That is where you find them....although it may be a little far to go for them. Also the food courts in Singapore. Breakfast, instead it?

I'm sure they must have a Thai name but I don't know what it is.

:D

Back home there is an Asian supermrket with hunfreds of kinds of instant noodles, and the consensus among my friends (some of whom have lived in Asia for a few years) as well as the staff that works at the supermarket is that Mi ghoreng is the best instant noodle around - even beating out most of the really expensive kinds.

Given its price (8 bhat at villa) its quite a bargain. However, the Villa mart sells out right away.

There is no Thai name on them. They are imported from Indonesia (i think!)

Same name and same company, yes ... although different packaging. Size and shape is different. I've looked all through a ouple of different Big Cs an only found the typical Thai mama. I've also checked Jusco, Foodland, Villa Mart, etc etc.

Which Big C / mall were you referring to?

• 2 weeks later...

I found mi ghoreng noodles in Big C - yaaay! There were only a couple of packs, though >.<

Anyway, I'd like to share my recipe for instant noodles...

First... throw away the spice pack th comes with the noodles. Unless ou really like it, then add a little bit to the sauce.

In the bowl you will be eating out of, mix...

*1 dollop of real peanut butter (i.e. ingredients = peanuts. (or peanuts, salt)) (Jif/Skippy do not work at all for this sauce!!!)

*as much of your favorite hot sauce as you can stand

*a touch of olive oil

*a touch black stir-fry sauce (the indiomie mi ghoreng noodles cmoe with a sauce that works better, though)

thats the sauce base, to which I add oyster sauce, mushroom sauce or whatever to give it a bit of flavor. My friend who shared the idea of the peanut sauce with me liked to use BBQ sauce sometimes.

Mix that up in one bowl while you are making the noodles al dente. You can add egg and veggies (just put them in the boiling water with the noodles)

Drain the water (being careful not to lose your egg/noodles/veggies)

Put the noodles over the sauce and mix up, then eat.

YUM!

• 2 weeks later...

My all time favourite noodle pack is:

SICHUAN STYLE instant noodle MANDARIN JAH-JAN

Product of Taiwan made by WEI LIN INDUSTRIAL CO.LTD

A bit larger noodle than most with a chilli stock.Have bought it in the Chinese supermarkets in the UK for many years.Never seen it in Thailand though.

Anyone else tried it?

I will try the other kinds, but I've found that the actual Mi Ghoreng noodles to be of a better quality than most anything else. Quite suitable to my noodle preference, too. And they are about 6 THB / pack. I really like the Soya sauce that comes with it, too - a kind of Soy molasses, I think. Can't find anything like it, although the black stir fry sauce makes good substitute.

Update ... The Big C has not restocked in a couple of weeks .... The villa mart has 'em again, though, but we stocked up on some new whole wheat kinds - not bad, although the mi ghoreng is still better.

Thanks!

I like this instant noodle too... Its the dry one (no soup), right? something with "Mi Goreng" on the label? If we are talking about the same ones, then you can find them at Market Place in Thonglo or the supermarket in Emporium..

Mi Goreng are the BEST instant noodles ever, NO CONTEST.

No other brands even come close, especially Mama (which i don't really care for).

If anyone knows where to get Mi Goreng in Pattaya, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.

I will be very grateful,

(If worst comes to worst, I will order a box from malaysia, a friend of mine did this)

Peace.

It's Mie Goreng from Indomie.

You can find them at almost every TOP Supermarket such

as Chidlom. it's 8baht each.

It is made by

http://www.indofood.com/index.asp

The problem though Indomie Mie Goreng in Bangkok

may have been in the shelf for too long as few people

buy them and therefore the noodle is no good.

If the spices are flowing like flour, that means it's pretty new.

But if the spices are stucked together then it's been in the

shelf for sometime.

The way to cook makes the taste a lot different as well.

The water has to be boiling before you put the noddle in.

And dont cook it too long, otherwise the noodle becomes

soggy and the taste is not what it supposes to be.

It is best to use big fire/high fire to cook it and

just put the noodle for 90 seconds and take it out of water

and then mix it with the sauces and spices.

Makes me hungry, I'll cook Indomie now :o

I found mi ghoreng noodles in Big C - yaaay!  There were only a couple of packs, though >.< 

Anyway,  I'd like to share my recipe for instant noodles...

First...  throw away the spice pack th comes with the noodles.  Unless ou really like it,  then add a little bit to the sauce. 

In the bowl you will be eating out of, mix...

*1 dollop of real peanut butter (i.e. ingredients = peanuts.  (or peanuts, salt))                    (Jif/Skippy do not work at all for this sauce!!!)

*as much of your favorite hot sauce as you can stand

*a touch of olive oil

*a touch black stir-fry sauce (the indiomie mi ghoreng noodles cmoe with a sauce that works better, though)

thats the sauce base, to which I add oyster sauce, mushroom sauce or whatever to give it a bit of flavor.  My friend who shared the idea of the peanut sauce with me liked to use BBQ sauce sometimes. 

Mix that up in one bowl while you are making the noodles al dente.  You can add egg and veggies (just put them in the boiling water with the noodles)

Drain the water (being careful not to lose your egg/noodles/veggies)

Put the noodles over the sauce and mix up,  then eat.

YUM!

Edited by susah_sih

The Soya sauce is called KECAP (pronounced almost similar to ketchup)

Originally the sauce come from Hakka people in China. But the Hakka

brought it to Indonesia. Mie Goreng is actually a noodle of Hakka called

YAM MIEN and they use this sauce. The name Mie Goreng is a misnomer.

Actually there is no "GORENG" process which means FRIED" in making

the noodle. Rather the noodle is just boiled and stirred with the sauce.

Thai people in my office also come to love KECAP. They call it "Magic

sauce" It blends in very well with Thai Food such as NEA YANG and

LOOKCHIN THOD.

In fact, I always add a little more Kecap when I cook Mie Goreng since

the kecap in packaging is very little and it gets messy when you open it.

You can buy KECAP at Indonesian embassy next to Panthip Plaza. Open only

during workdays. Buy KECAP from Indofood. so it match with the kecap from Indomie. You can choose two kinds: MANIS (=sweet) and MANIS SEDANG (=medium sweet) At the embassy they also sell other types of Indomie, albeit

more expensive at 10baht. I like Indomie RASA KARI AYAM SPECIAL and RASA BASO SAPI . These two noodles are served with soup (i.e. Bami Nam) instead of

Bami Henk like Mie Goreng.

When you go to the Indonesian embassy, you ask for

KOPERASI DHARMA WANITA to buy Indomie. The guard will point where it is.

I will try the other kinds,  but I've found that the actual Mi Ghoreng noodles to be of a better quality than most anything else.   Quite suitable to my noodle preference, too.  And they are about 6 THB / pack.  I really like the Soya sauce that comes with it, too - a kind of Soy molasses, I think. Can't find anything like it,  although the black stir fry sauce makes  good substitute. 

Update ...  The Big C has not restocked in a couple of weeks ....  The villa mart has 'em again, though, but we stocked up on some new whole wheat kinds - not bad,  although the mi ghoreng is still better.

Edited by susah_sih