Options For Study Or To Take Life In Uk Test ?

I know she can take the multiple choice test and I have a couple of links to that somewhere but unless I am mistaken, she could take a college course and then bypass this test. Have I understood that correctly ?

So may I ask, apart from taking this test, what course options are there available to her ?

My advice is do the test. My wife got the book and we translated every word in it that my wife did not understand into Thai. She wrote the thai translation above the word. Not only did it help her understand but she quickly improved her vocab too. I sat with her using online thai-english dictionary and we translated the whole book. She then sat about studying the book for aprox 12 weeks. She then practised test questions until she could pass every one at about 90%. She sat the test and passed first time. There is know quick route learn the book together you will be suprised how quickly she will progress. Do not learn the question book as this will not help as the real test asks the questions in a different format only confusing even more. Many of my wife's friends have tried to learn the questions and not the book. This way led most of her friends taking the test at least 5 times. Learn the book it is not that hard if you stick to the format above. Good luck whatever way you choose.

Your wife has the option of taking an 'ESOL with citizenship' course at an approved college. Basically the college will first assess the level of your wife's English then she will have to study at the college and 'move up one level'. It's usually about a thirty hour course and, although costs vary from college to college, £80 to £100 is a ball park figure for the cost of the course. My wife is doing something similar. She wants to study English anyway so she's attending a normal ESOL course at college that runs for the full year and will take an exam at the end of it then the college can then issue the relevant certificate required for her ILR.

Be aware that if your wife attends college during the first year she arrived in the UK she'll be treated as a foreign student and will have to pay more for any course. After one year she's classed as a UK resident and pays the same as a UK student.

Your wife has the option of taking an 'ESOL with citizenship' course at an approved college. Basically the college will first assess the level of your wife's English then she will have to study at the college and 'move up one level'. It's usually about a thirty hour course and, although costs vary from college to college, £80 to £100 is a ball park figure for the cost of the course. My wife is doing something similar. She wants to study English anyway so she's attending a normal ESOL course at college that runs for the full year and will take an exam at the end of it then the college can then issue the relevant certificate required for her ILR.

Be aware that if your wife attends college during the first year she arrived in the UK she'll be treated as a foreign student and will have to pay more for any course. After one year she's classed as a UK resident and pays the same as a UK student.

Wow, costs really do vary across the colleges,yesterday just received the local college part time course guide through the door,ESOL entry level 1,2 or 3 =£486 for a 36 week course or a ESOL level 1 or 2 at a cost of £514 for a 36 week course.

Wow, costs really do vary across the colleges,yesterday just received the local college part time course guide through the door,ESOL entry level 1,2 or 3 =£486 for a 36 week course or a ESOL level 1 or 2 at a cost of £514 for a 36 week course.

I haven't got any prices for this year yet because we're back in Thailand on holiday at the moment but I paid about £470 last year when my wife was in her first year in the UK so she was classed as a foreign student. If I remember correctly from threads last year your wife also came to the UK in the last year or so, are you sure the college isn't still quoting foreign student prices to you?

My wife arrived here in the UK in May this year. I paid £200 for her to join a Level 1 ESOL Citizenship course at an acredited college. They allow the students to decide when to sit the exam, and give them 2 chances free, and if they fail they need to pay £50 for any subsequent test.

My wife attended every week Monday - Thursday, and took the exam and passed first attempt after 4 weeks. :clap2:

hi sumrit

yes we have been back in the UK now around 13 month now,time flies when your having fun :) .Also the wife was 6.5 months pregnant when she arrived in the uk ,she decided to take the life in the uk test route,two month after arriving and passed first time with a bit of study.(pics of baby in family forum)Its the wifes friend who we are trying to help with prices and info on these ESOL courses,looks like she will have to pay the full price as she has only been in the UK for three months.

So all you need is a friendly college who assess her as the lowest level and then a week later re-assess her at a level higher and Bob's your uncle ?

Certainly don't want any long term studying but a couple of hours a week for a few weeks could be ok, if it fits around kindergarten.

So all you need is a friendly college who assess her as the lowest level and then a week later re-assess her at a level higher and Bob's your uncle ?

Certainly don't want any long term studying but a couple of hours a week for a few weeks could be ok, if it fits around kindergarten.

While colleges do need to be reasonably successful with these ESOL courses to 'justify their funding' they do have to be accredited colleges so I don't think they would want to risk that status by 'being friendly' and under assessing somebodies ability with the English language. Also it's not just a matter of being assessed again 'a week later' and getting the certificate, you must sign up, and pay, for the complete course at the beginning, and even the specialized ESOL with citizenship course is about four months long (and usually evening classes). Assuming you complete the course and pass you get your certificate at the end. I believe you also get a letter that's required for ILR.

While colleges do need to be reasonably successful with these ESOL courses to 'justify their funding' they do have to be accredited colleges so I don't think they would want to risk that status by 'being friendly' and under assessing somebodies ability with the English language. Also it's not just a matter of being assessed again 'a week later' and getting the certificate, you must sign up, and pay, for the complete course at the beginning, and even the specialized ESOL with citizenship course is about four months long (and usually evening classes). Assuming you complete the course and pass you get your certificate at the end. I believe you also get a letter that's required for ILR.

I feared that and my post was rather tongue in cheek. No problem to pay and get the certificate there and then if they'll do business that way. I mean, who cares which monarch came before Queen Victoria and what percentage of British nationals know ? Exactly !

Cannot do evening courses which I suspected they would be to allow people to work so that may be a non starter from the beginning. Perhaps a trip to see the college is required, or a donation !

Before you decide on self-study or English language course, what is her current level of English like?

Her English level is quite good, better than I suspected in reality. She can read quite well, spell rather well as well but she is a lazy reader and has poor attention to detail, which makes reading the whole of a question difficult, particularly when it is not just a simple A,B,C or D but rather A and C or B and D or A and C etc. answer.

As for being assessed, I reckon she could act dumb and then "improve" dramatically.