Major Cineplex

WinnieTheKhwai

I go there often - probably twice a month or so. I usually don't bother bringing snacks as I find the prices quite reasonable for a cinema - cheaper than McDonalds for a large coke (and its huge and the plasitc drink flask is a keeper too) and the pop corn is always fresh (as long as you like the salted one) and cheap too. Water is about the same as at any of the food outlets in the mall too. However, I have often gone in there with a handfull of carrier bags - sometimes with snacks in left over from shopping with the kids or maybe to take home for later, and have never been questioned about it. Though I did see a Thai kids getting stopped one for trying to take his KFC in (don't blame them - smelly greesey chicken in the cinema - yuk!).

Maybe its worth getting your snacks somewhere else and buying a drink at the lobby, probably ignore your bag then.

One thing about Airport Plazza though that got me last week - Often now they search (read: 'glance in') bags coming in - for security at the desk. Well, last week I popped in after going to a musi shop and had a large white plastic bag with a large, heavy, black box in it (guitar amp) and the security guard just waved me by. Now, a big, odd shaped, heavy bag isn't suspicious, but an empty looking shoulder bag is? (bag was not see through and had no brandname on it)

PS: I DO stand for the tribute as do my kids - I like to sing along (not loudly though) just for the entertainment value - gob smacked Thais watching me.

Edited by wolf5370

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THis has become a bit of a silly thread..lol. Have a feeling it may get closed soon, but ill leave that for another cm mod because ive contributed personal opinion on this thread.

My own feelings are that people should be entitled to choice. For example... Often I dont like the drinks they serve at the cinema. There is also no way i can drink that much soda...but thats not the point/reason. If i feel like popcorn, ill buy from the cinema, because its fresh and warm. Usually i dont eat any snacks in the cinema actually. ..and sure taking in KFC seems pretty far gone.. :blink: . But if I didnt have opportunity to eat before hand and was hungry, i would have no qualms taking in something i could eat, (just not something that may disturb other audience members), such as a sandwich. I cant eat the food at the cinema because i dont eat meat..and i generally prefer to eat healthier foods. ..and I dont see why i would need to defend any of this to be honest. Its not about the price, its about choice, and my own cinema enjoyment/experience.

..and regardless of whether i have purchased food within the cinema or not, i clean up after myself.

I went to a movie in Manlia and was surprised that the people bought in rice, dried fish and oher assorted foods, not for sale at the Cinema.

Not a Choc Top to be seen but the smell of dried fish and other assorteed things put me rright off and this was at Mega Mall in Manila, here in Thailand have been to a few cinema's and just bought the chips popcorn at the cinema but went with Thai friends wone day and yes they went to Tops and get the cheap chips etc.

The mobile phone checking is very annoying and the talking during the movie as well, all part of the Education

I don't see what the complaint is. Try this back home and they'll bounce you out on your head.

I know what you are saying, but as with everything else this is not back home.

Several days ago I went to see The Sorcerers Apprentice and was stuck next to Mrs Fat Thai and her 'man'. She was pulling out bags of crisps from her bag non stop, cans of drink, checking her mobile every 5 minutes (no Thai turns them off only sound) and chatting away to her man.

Fortunately, the film's dialogue didn't require attentive listening, but it was still bloody annoying.

easy solution, do as my pal does, buy the seats either side of him:D

<snip>

Maybe it's time to confess some more sins.. I was in the TG lounge at CNX recently and took some extra sachets of Equal sweetener. And earlier in the week I used the Mad Dog WiFi signal even though I wasn't actually at Mad Dog that time. I downloaded a Top Gear episode, which is officially not available to view outside of Britain. (15x05 this week was a nice one) And I sometimes park at D.K. Book Store also when not visiting the store, or use a nice hotel rest rooms also when I'm not a guest.

And then there's shafting Truevisions, but on this one I think God will give me a pass. God doesn't like TrueVisions either.

Still it'll be straight down from the Pearly Gates for me no doubt about it.

You are a veritable criminal mastermind.

Speaking of doing the right thing, as this was my daughter's first cinema experience, she didn't expect or want to stand up during the tribute thing. Also didn't want to force her of course, and secretly I kind of liked it that she didn't automatically went along with something just because everyone else was doing it. ;) Good girl.

I am not sure but not standing up may well be an offence-anybody?

Speaking of doing the right thing, as this was my daughter's first cinema experience, she didn't expect or want to stand up during the tribute thing. Also didn't want to force her of course, and secretly I kind of liked it that she didn't automatically went along with something just because everyone else was doing it. ;) Good girl.

I am not sure but not standing up may well be an offence-anybody?

Good question, though I expect dad was standing (like everyone else).

How old is your daughter, Winnie?

She might be showing individualism, but this might also make her unpopular with some Thai friends.

I'd rather sit during the anthem thing, but it's not really a big deal to stand...unless laden with popcorn, drinks and loads of other goodies from TOPS. :rolleyes:

to be fair... I'd never think of taking my own snacks into any cinema - the concessions sell snacks for a reason - it's not really fair to them to take your own stuff in - like many of your posts but not sure you've got this one right Winnie

LOL, right. She's just 4 years old. I'm sure she'll stand up next time, it's like that with everyone in the Jesus, Buddha & Santa Claus category, part fear, part respect but she'll do what's expected.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

One of my favorite treats is to go early to Airport Plaza on a Wednesday, check the movie schedule, buy a discount ticket and kill time until the show starts by eating lunch in the food court. Usually, I can't finish the bottle of water and stuff it in my bag to finish during the movie. Gosh, I hope they don't search my bag!

Seriously, though, I agree with JayJayO, my biggest beef with the Airport Plaza cinema is that they don't post their schedules on the internet in advance. In fact they normally don't post them until after 11 am, which can be too late to get in gear to see the first show of the day. But, when I come early, sometimes I find the show I'd like to see doesn't start until 4 pm -- that's too much time to kill.

That's part of why I go to Vista at KSK more often than Airport Plaza -- because they post their schedule on the internet in advance, allowing me to plan my life a day or two in advance.

One of my favorite treats is to go early to Airport Plaza on a Wednesday, check the movie schedule, buy a discount ticket and kill time until the show starts by eating lunch in the food court. Usually, I can't finish the bottle of water and stuff it in my bag to finish during the movie. Gosh, I hope they don't search my bag!

Seriously, though, I agree with JayJayO, my biggest beef with the Airport Plaza cinema is that they don't post their schedules on the internet in advance. In fact they normally don't post them until after 11 am, which can be too late to get in gear to see the first show of the day. But, when I come early, sometimes I find the show I'd like to see doesn't start until 4 pm -- that's too much time to kill.

That's part of why I go to Vista at KSK more often than Airport Plaza -- because they post their schedule on the internet in advance, allowing me to plan my life a day or two in advance.

Yep, their schedule is always updated, it's 70 baht and if you go at the right time of day you can have the cinema all to yourself.

I think you could even push a TOPS trolley in laden with goodies and no-one would say anything. :rolleyes:

take a backpack next time and stuff it full of food, We brought a pizza in that way, back in the US though :D

Yes, I was about to recommend that too. It's a Cinema, not a CIA facility - nobody is going to frisk you.

No big deal. Its the same all over the world. The cinemas are relying on the extra income from their totally overpriced food sales. I just wish the popcorn were a bit better, then I wouldn't mind at all.

jayjay..did you read what i was referring to? You honestly think its a crime to take your own snacks into a cinema? Well, frankly i dont. I think i do enough good things with my time and money to decide if i want to sneak in my favorite snack into a cinema. Quite honestly I think your viewpoint is extreme.

..and for you to say that in making this comment I am setting some bad example to Thai people who may read it, its rather insulting to Thai peoples intelligence..dont you think?

Talking of which, i would have thought that most people would "get" when a person is making light of something. But maybe you consider making a light of taking food into a cinema as a terrible thing. You obviously have a much higher standard of how to live life than i do. Well..good for you really. Maybe you can offer advice in the forum to members, rather than cast them down, may be far more productive. Just a thought.

Sorry you feel that way but please do not say I said things I didn't. I did not say it was a crime I said it was breaking rules and I really don't remember saying it was setting a bad exampleto to any one. Breaking the law could be considered serious breaking this rule is not. My point is where do we stop saying it is OK to break rules. I did indeed say that I wonder if the posters making lite of it would take that attitude if a Thai was doing it or would they shake there head. Please stick to what I say and I will stand behind it. Thank you

Can you post the web site for Vista. I some times get it and some times not. But I do not like stale popcorn. I have been told that is the case,

Can you post the web site for Vista. I some times get it and some times not. But I do not like stale popcorn. I have been told that is the case,

Yes sure: http://chiangmaivista.com/

Try watching the movie without munching. It'll keep you trim, you'll hear the dialogue and you won't disturb others. ;)

Winnie & Wolf, yes I'm familar with the Major Cineplex website, but never can get it to display showtimes for dates beyond the current day. I'm surprised they've updated today by 9:30 am. There's no way I can figure out their schedule for Wednesday to plan a 100 baht outing -- 60 baht for discount ticket and 40 baht for lunch at the food court, with transportation using the Central Airport Plaza free shuttle from a hotel near home.

Incidentaly, the tickets at Vista at KSK are 70 baht just Monday - Thursday, they charge 90 baht weekends and holidays. Still a good value. They know the place is a dive and price accordingly. At least the seats are comfortable, the air conditioning great and the screen and sound system work well most of the time.

I've found the Thai audiences to be pretty good compared to what I saw in the U.S. Overall, it's a pleasant experience to see a movie here and I do it a couple times a month.

Winnie & Wolf, yes I'm familar with the Major Cineplex website, but never can get it to display showtimes for dates beyond the current day. I'm surprised they've updated today by 9:30 am. There's no way I can figure out their schedule for Wednesday to plan a 100 baht outing -- 60 baht for discount ticket and 40 baht for lunch at the food court, with transportation using the Central Airport Plaza free shuttle from a hotel near home.

Incidentaly, the tickets at Vista at KSK are 70 baht just Monday - Thursday, they charge 90 baht weekends and holidays. Still a good value. They know the place is a dive and price accordingly. At least the seats are comfortable, the air conditioning great and the screen and sound system work well most of the time.

I've found the Thai audiences to be pretty good compared to what I saw in the U.S. Overall, it's a pleasant experience to see a movie here and I do it a couple times a month.

So you're the other farang? ;)

As you say Vista is a bit of a dive and the price reflects that.

At Cineplex, I always seem to be surrounded by munchers, slurpers and chatterers, so the great advantage of Vista for me, is that there's always plenty of room to move to a quieter seat.

Never had a problem with Cinepelex. We use the MajorCinepelex website to get the times,usually get to the first show of the day,weekdays. 99% of the time get our preferred seats.

Very few people at the first showing. Buy what we require from the concessions(Just think what your opinion would be if you owned one regarding people taking in their own food/drinks).

Use the driving licence to get seniors prices.

In general great value and have been 3 times in the last two weeks.

~

I don't understand some of the problems folks are having with times being posted. They have always been a bit slow posting the Major Cineplex times but I have had some success crabbing at them at production(at)movieseer.com over the years.

Also, they DO post days ahead if you just look. I just checked and times are posted right through the 4th of Aug. Go to the upper right of the site and pick the date you wish to view.

Happy viewing!

I know what you mean Winnie, I tried to get into the movies with food and drink from outside AND I tried to get in without a ticket and they turned me away! fancy that! expecting me not only to buy my food but a bloody ticket too. Fair enough they want us to buy our food from them but buy a ticket!

This is craziness, never have I ever heard of a company trying to make money!

Dustoff, I hate to be dense, but when I access the site that Winnie listed in posting #47, I can't get the showtimes beyond the current date. Sure, I can use their little calendar to select a date in the future, but it just returns the showtimes for the current date. I've talked with others who have the same problem with this website. Could you walk us thru the process of unlocking the mysterious future schedule? Thanks!

Dustoff, I hate to be dense, but when I access the site that Winnie listed in posting #47, I can't get the showtimes beyond the current date. Sure, I can use their little calendar to select a date in the future, but it just returns the showtimes for the current date. I've talked with others who have the same problem with this website. Could you walk us thru the process of unlocking the mysterious future schedule? Thanks!

Yes that was my experiences also.

Thanks for the vista site. It had the information on it but the site is about user friendly as the side walks in Chiang Mai are pedestrian friendly. You are talking about movieseer..com I presume.

Hope I am not to serious to offend some one.

Edited by jayjay0

i can't believe no one has commented on the worst thing about airport plaza - the interminable series of ads. a full half hour of advertisements are shown before each film. now of course you could delay your entrance but i don't know if that means you might miss a bit of the opening scene if you don't calculate the delay correctly. furthermore some thais have the system figured out and end up rushing in en masse in the first scenes of the movie, struggling past you with kids and large bags of smuggled khanom in tow, screwing up your viewing pleasure for the first few minutes.

there are also lots of ads these days before movies in the west (i know - i'm in one of them):

but i don't think they go on for a half an hour or more! that's like the torture that malcolm mcdowell had to endure in a clockwork orange - only that was good old fashioned violence, not shampoo ads, which are arguably more damaging to the psyche.

though the quality of screenings are much lower at kad suan kaew (bad sound, projectionist falls asleep in between reels, a few dangerously cold rooms, out of focus, etc.) at least they start the film at the announced time, showing the ads before the time on the schedule.

of course, i haven't seen a movie there in a while - they might have changed that.

it doesn't seem fair to have to pay to watch advertising. when i was a kid this was unheard of (besides trailers). goddamm future.

Edited by ollylama

it doesn't seem fair to have to pay to watch advertising. when i was a kid this was unheard of (besides trailers). goddamm future.

Yeah but now they have sound and are in colour, doesn't that make up for it? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. When I was young (and I'm not old) there used to be a short A film first (sometimes better than the feature!) and an intermission where you could entertain yourself pelting the icecream lady with conkers (aim was to knock out the light on her tray - never saw anyone hit it, but was fun trying nevertheless - and learnt new swear words and insults from the older sellers too)

yes and we had to walk to the theater uphill against the wind - both ways! and we liked it!

as far as the original post goes, i agree - you can't bring food into any movie theater in the west unless you smuggle it in. i've never seen anyone get busted for contraband burgers or what have you though. i think it's more of a suggestion than a punishable offense.

i wish they'd make bringing crying babies into theaters a punishable offense though. why? why would someone do that? it's beyond me. at least have the decency to drug it beforehand.

I booked my ticket on line at airport for the last airbender this morning.

I then checked on movieseer.com to see what they had to say. Was some what surprised when they showed the show on at a different time.

Scrolled to the Major Cineplex went to the right hand corner of there schedule where it says date typed in Aug. 4 and was informed they had no information on that date.

Edited by jayjay0