Karaoki Bar In The Village

Ken

No it isn't for me. :D

A friend's wife in the village is in the process of opening a Karaoki Bar/Restaurant in the village (right next to my house...lucky me :D ). A discussion has come up concerning the rental cost of one of these coin operated Karaoki Machines. There currently is one on the premises from a previous business (that failed by the way), and the company that owns the machine rent it at a split of 97% for the company and 3% for the Bar. That seems pretty outrageous to me, but hey, what do I know. :o

Anybody out there have any knowledge or experience with "companies" renting these machines and what the "normal" income split would/should be??? :D

A freind in Nong Khai has a juke box on a 60/40 (he gets 40%) split and from past experience in the UK it has always been a 50/50 or 60/40 either way split.

A 3% return sounds rediculous to me, but then thats just me i guess, would it even cover the electricity to run it??

Edited by Bangkokbutcher

Halelujah,kareoke in the village.

Long live civilization :D  :D  :o

Yea, I hear that. Bah humbug and all. And right next door. Luckily, in the past I only seem to hear it when I wake up to take a piss from a night on the piss. The bedroom is well insulated. Could insulate the "hung nam" I suppose. :D

And yea, to me I could understand/believe a 50/50 or 60/40 split. 3% doesn't make a lot of sense....but that's what they are telling me. :D

Why rent a machine?  you could search on the net and buy one it would probably work out far more profitable.

You know, I was thinking along the same lines, but trying several different Google Searches I'm really not coming up with much. And in Thailand coming up with even less than "much".

Of course one could put together a system with a CD player/speaker system, a Television and/or perhaps a PC. In fact as I type this, I would guess that a PC with a fair size Screen or the PC attached to a Television (as some sort of Video in/out) might work out just as well. I don't know, just a thought I'll pass on to the friend.

And still having trouble believing the 3% thing, but so far, other than the Nong Khai reponse (thank you), no additional info on these Karaoki Machines to back it up yet.

There is a bar/restaurant on the Mekong that a few of us frequent and it uses a PC with a big screen on the wall as a karaoke machine.

Seems to work well although when they start up we generally leave.

Nothing worse than hearing thais who think they can sing belting out their favourite songs. Almost as bad as the philipinos, except without the tears.

There is a bar/restaurant on the Mekong that a few of us frequent and it uses a PC with a big screen on the wall as a karaoke machine.

Nothing worse than hearing thais who think they can sing belting out their favourite songs.  Almost as bad as the philipinos, except without the tears.

"Nothing worse..."

I couldn't agree with you more. I never "on purpose" go to these places and there are many in the various villages here, and if one wants to "go out on the town", it's about all that's available. If I get "stuck" going out to one, it isn't for long. :o

Nothing worse than hearing thais who think they can sing belting out their favourite songs.  Almost as bad as the philipinos, except without the tears.

"Nothing worse..."

I couldn't agree with you more. I never "on purpose" go to these places and there are many in the various villages here, and if one wants to "go out on the town", it's about all that's available. If I get "stuck" going out to one, it isn't for long. :D

Yeah, I now only like to go on my own as there seems to be a much better atmosphere, and I seem much more popular than when my wife glares at every girl in the place :o

I adore karaoke's and would love one of those machines. Pc hooked up to a telly just is not the same at all. I even pick hotels sometimes that are near to a karaoke. Of course they are crap if they play too much string, if that goes on for long then I'll get up leave as well, rak tur rak tur rubbish-peter

Why rent a machine?  you could search on the net and buy one it would probably work out far more profitable.

You know, I was thinking along the same lines, but trying several different Google Searches I'm really not coming up with much. And in Thailand coming up with even less than "much".

Of course one could put together a system with a CD player/speaker system, a Television and/or perhaps a PC. In fact as I type this, I would guess that a PC with a fair size Screen or the PC attached to a Television (as some sort of Video in/out) might work out just as well. I don't know, just a thought I'll pass on to the friend.

And still having trouble believing the 3% thing, but so far, other than the Nong Khai reponse (thank you), no additional info on these Karaoki Machines to back it up yet.

It could be that about THB 3000 per month goes legally to Legasit for playing CDs commercially.

In our province 4 Karaoki bars installed this CD player/speaker/TV system. Very succesful business until Legasit (legal sitcom) came along one night cashing 4xTHB 50,000 on the spot for playing CDs commercially. Luckily these 4 Karaoki owners found some rich Chinese to pay the fines on the spot, otherwise the fines in a later court case could have gone up to THB 100,000 :D . All the Karaoki places closed now because the p.. also co... some m.. for .. purposes.

PS: Playing CDs in a Karaoki bar requires now a permit besides the permit for running the bar, but nobody knew about this.

So, if you buy some CDs for your friends Karaoki, Legasit could come along and make you responsible and cash some nice money :o . The amount is variable starting from THB 10k up to 100k depending on your negotiation power :D .

It could be that about THB 3000 per month goes legally to Legasit for playing CDs commercially.

In our province  4 Karaoki bars installed this CD player/speaker/TV system. Very succesful business until Legasit (legal sitcom) came along one night cashing 4xTHB 50,000 on the spot for playing CDs commercially. Luckily these 4 Karaoki owners found some rich Chinese to pay the fines on the spot, otherwise the fines in a later court case could have gone up to THB 100,000 :D .  All the Karaoki places closed now because the p.. also co... some m.. for ..  purposes.

PS: Playing CDs in a Karaoki bar requires now a permit besides the permit for running the bar, but nobody knew about this.

So, if you buy some CDs for your friends Karaoki, Legasit could come along and  make you responsible and cash some nice money :o . The amount is variable starting from THB 10k up to 100k depending on your negotiation power :D .

Hmmmmmm....that's an interesting aspect I hadn't thought about. When you're in the "business" you do need to think about the "copyright" laws. Could get to be very expensive. Thanks for that input. :D

In our province  4 Karaoki bars installed this CD player/speaker/TV system. Very succesful business until Legasit (legal sitcom) came along one night cashing 4xTHB 50,000 on the spot for playing CDs commercially. Luckily these 4 Karaoki owners found some rich Chinese to pay the fines on the spot, otherwise the fines in a later court case could have gone up to THB 100,000 :D .  All the Karaoki places closed now because the p.. also co... some m.. for ..  purposes.

So, if you buy some CDs for your friends Karaoki, Legasit could come along and  make you responsible and cash some nice money :o . The amount is variable starting from THB 10k up to 100k depending on your negotiation power :D .

Hmmmmmm....that's an interesting aspect I hadn't thought about. When you're in the "business" you do need to think about the "copyright" laws. Could get to be very expensive. Thanks for that input. :D

The same copyright law is now applied for almost everything from running UB. in restaurants to selling nice Cuc.. cloth around the corner. Fin alw... de.. on neg... p..er :D Working for L..t can be ve. pro.. le :D . Dr.in around in the mos. e..pen. B. W..ng the m.. e..ve R..x w.ch :D:D

The same copyright law is now applied for almost everything from running UB.  in restaurants to selling nice Cuc.. cloth around the corner. Fin alw... de.. on neg... p..er :o    Working for L..t can be ve. pro..  le :D . Dr.in around in the mos. e..pen. B. W..ng the m..  e..ve R..x  w.ch  :D  :D

Hesus Roiet. I understood your original post and the copyright thing was something that I hadn't thought about. But this post could you or someone translate for me. I, kind of, am wondering what it is you are trying to say, but I can't quite work it out. :D

The same copyright law is now applied for almost everything from running UB.  in restaurants to selling nice Cuc.. cloth around the corner. Fin alw... de.. on neg... p..er :o    Working for L..t can be ve. pro..  le :D . Dr.in around in the mos. e..pen. B. W..ng the m..  e..ve R..x  w.ch  :D  :D

Hesus Roiet. I understood your original post and the copyright thing was something that I hadn't thought about. But this post could you or someone translate for me. I, kind of, am wondering what it is you are trying to say, but I can't quite work it out. :D

The same copyright law is now applied for almost everything from running UBC programs in restaurants to selling nice Cucci cloth around the corner. Fines always depend on negotiation power :D Working for Le...it can be very profi.. le :D . Driving around in mos. expen. Benz. Wearing the mo.. expe.ve Rol.x wa.ch :D:D

No it isn't for me. :D 

A friend's wife in the village is in the process of opening a Karaoki Bar/Restaurant in the village (right next to my house...lucky me :D ).  A discussion has come up concerning the rental cost of one of these coin operated Karaoki Machines.  There currently is one on the premises from a previous business (that failed by the way), and the company that owns the machine rent it at a split of 97% for the company and 3% for the Bar.  That seems pretty outrageous to me, but hey, what do I know. :o

Anybody out there have any knowledge or experience with "companies" renting these machines and what the "normal" income split would/should be??? :D

Karaoki in the village ! ?

Thats great !! , whats next .... running water ? :D

Your friend is getting ripped off . And by the sound of it ( no pun intended ) so are all the people living there . good luck with this one my friend , let us know how it works out . I might bring my greatest hits of the 80's CD . :D

Karaoki in the village ! ?

Thats great !! , whats next .... running water ?  :D

Your friend is getting ripped off . And by the sound of it ( no pun intended ) so are all the people living there . good luck with this one my friend , let us know how it works out . I might bring my greatest hits of the 80's CD .  :D

"whats next...running water".... I like that. :D Indeed I do believe Karaoki came before running water in many of the villages up here. :D

I agree, the 3% thing is a ripoff. I have some other people checking on these rentals that don't post on the forum, so maybe I'll get a straight answer yet....and maybe not. :o

Last night was "Grand Opening" night. I "crashed" at 10 PM, and my wife came in at 2 AM. Guess she likes that crap. :D

Guess she likes that crap. :D

Dont they all :o

Tut tut and threr's you looking foward to Jintara going to the London food fair on the 24th. Sadly she won't be and it's just a rumour put around by the organisers for obvious reasons. Jintara is in Roi Et now but will appear at veetethai on the 29th, doubt if shes even heard of the food fair-peter

:D Well folks, I don't quite know how to say this other than blurt it out. The other early evening I was sitting with my village friend at his wife's Karaoki joint and of course the "3 per cent topic" came up again. And now, without going into any kind of details that might embarrass my friend (he reads this forum), it is now understood that the split is not 97/3, it is 70/30. I don't really know how/why it took so long to figure this out but it could be the Chang's. :o

post-171-1122075348.gif

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. :D

Edited by Ken

:D Well folks, I don't quite know how to say this other than blurt it out.  The other early evening I was sitting with my village friend at his wife's Karaoki joint and of course the "3 per cent topic" came up again.  And now, without going into any kind of details that might embarrass my friend (he reads this forum), it is now understood that the split is not 97/3, it is 70/30.  I don't really know how/why it took so long to figure this out but it could be the Chang's. :o

post-171-1122075348.gif

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. :D

Whats a extra zero between friends ? :D I am going to that sing a song bar & I will show them how to PARTY . I will be back home in a week and a half . See you then my friend .

Whats a extra  zero between friends ?  :o  I am going to that sing a  song bar & I will show them how to PARTY . I will be back home in a week and a half . See you then my friend .

As long as the extra zero was his cost and not mine, no problem. :D

Week and a half to go. Guess that means you are going to miss the Bkk Pissup. :D Anyway, looking forward to meeting you. :D

Yeah 70/30 and the police do come around to check that you don't have any pirate CD's inside. For the smaller places it's the draw to sell beer which most don't buy in enough qty/discount to really make it worth while unless they're selling food as well.

Yes, finally some confirmations of the more realistic split...70/30. Indeed the Karaoki is the "draw" for most of these joints and this one included. Most of the income from alcohol and food sales. I can't see these "small" joints as any kind of big money makers, but a few of them seem to make enough to keep going. I see a lot more of them that don't make it though. :o This one in particular has had 3 different tries in the last year and half. :D

Edited by Ken