Farang Attitude

pop3

I'm leaving this open to comments as I really don't know what to say ?

I have a condo that I have advertised to rent. so far I have had three people phone about it all three sounded very genuine on the phone. So after talking about it we arranged to see it the next day. I go to the condo the next day at the time we agreed on and nobody turns up. I phone them back after waiting half an hour only to be told.... oh I forgot about it mate, maybe give you a ring next week.... Im watching television at the moment I'll phone you back some time.... I found a condo last night mate....

Not one person said sorry for wasting your time. not one person phoned to cancel the appointment, not one text message to say don't bother waiting for me.

Is this normal now in this modern age or have I just been unlucky ?

Maybe I'm old school and feel that once you have made an appointment with somebody then that appointment stands unless you phone to cancel it.

Have I been left that far behind that in fact it is normal now to never honor anything you say ?

Sounds like they have been here a while.

Many of my friends here (Thais) sometimes never bother to show up to events (weddings, etc), and dont even call about it.

Most of them are always very late to meetings, etc.

None of my friends never take any offence regarding this, because they do it themselves sometimes.

I hate it, but have to accept it.

probably was that sort of guys we see so often over here that basically say if you are a guest (foreigner) in this country, then you should accept any sorts of bad attitude/offences being done to you and without complaining because apparently there is a plane leaving every hours....:D

JT gave you a good tip, i would also put in place the "no money - no honey" strategy, making clear that the place will actively stay on the market till a payment is received.

I was treated like this one too many times so I changed my attitude to suit the times , I no longer make appointments , I tell whoever that when they are on thier way to give me a call and I will meet you there . Life is far too short to while wasted time away , tapping your feet in frustration for some inconsiderate person .

I've found that, wherever you are, it's best practice to call and reconfirm all appointments before heading out.

PhilHarries is partly correct when he says it's symptomatic of the times. Mores have changed, but not necessarily because of "no respect". My theory is that when everyone is constantly connected with sms, cellphones, twitter and mobile email, one or both parties are expected to maintain 'status updates' (current lingo).

Having said that, it was certainly inconsiderate of the potential renters to just not show up, not call and not apologize.

Same thing happens often in the US according to a friend of mine who rents out some condos there.

I believe you'll find this to be a universal everywhere......has been for quite a time now. Any era and any locale.

If its any consolation the same happened to me in London when i was selling things ie: sofa etc, before coming to Thailand.

I had to chase people up sometimes..and i got blase' responses.

I agree it is reasonable to ask prospective tenants to call and confirm on the day, and were I looking for a condo to rent I wouldn't take exception to this. Otoh, consideration works both ways.

When I was new in LoS I was a tad pissed off when two (one each Thai/farang) of 3 renters I had arranged to meet did not bother calling to let me know their properties were no longer available - despite my having called them late morning to confirm our afternoon meet.

Must be the Market at the moment. You would not do that in Zurich for example. You should go and buy some Rentals there. People will stay in the road in line to get a Contract. However in the end be happy that non of them rented your place and you had to listen to all there exuses why they can not pay now, but will pay in just some days. Always look at the brith side of it .....

Many of my friends here (Thais) sometimes never bother to show up to events (weddings, etc), and dont even call about it.

None of my friends never take any offence regarding this, because they do it themselves sometimes.

Agreed, A case of 'when in rome.................

I look this problem from the other side:

I had an appointment with the condo-person. About 1 hour in advanced, i became a phone from her, to ask if i still come... I was surprised, because i made this appointment, but now i can understand her checkup.

We made up the time 1 clock afternoon, but she showed up about 40 minutes late.. which i not like, but i guess she also had go there many time, and nobody showed up..

Because of this bad behaviour of some person, also the seller will become more worse for the good people, because he not want to wait a very longtime for the people who asking for rent.

I would do the same, after i had to wait about 1-2 hours for most of the customers, i would also go there late... The person who are interested are willing to wait, if there are ontime...

And also a short phone call to ask if the customers are still coming is easier (cheaper) than spend gasoline or buy a bus ticket to that place and then nobody is there.

I think it is kind of normal in dealing with strangers. One thing you can try, ask them to confirm on the morning before the expected appointment, making it clear, no confirmation, then you won't be there.

We always send them a text to confirm and if no reply we dont go.

sounds like your condo is too close to Nana Plaza. Attracting the very atypical farang that spends there life well stolen fortunes bumming off in the land of smiles. Maybe the one that does turn up is the better tenant. He might pay on-time!!!!!

Always have to find reasons to blame the Thai's, don't we? This thread isn't even about Thai's and you guys manage to find ways to dump on them. You guys should take a break....you don't have to be pr*cks 24 hours a day.

Always have to find reasons to blame the Thai's, don't we? This thread isn't even about Thai's and you guys manage to find ways to dump on them. You guys should take a break....you don't have to be pr*cks 24 hours a day.

When in Rome you are in Italy and in Italy you still get people that do not stand up to their words, however this is not an acceptable behauvoir or goes unnoticed so easily as in "some other part of the world" (is that ok Berkshire? it's not my fault if the forum is called ThaiVisa :D ), that means that such people will not get invited again and also slowly by word of mouth will become victims of their own actions as they clearly deserve.....