Is Bangkok Really The World's Best City For Visitors?

webfact

EDITORIAL

Is Bangkok really the world's best city for visitors?

By The Nation

Bangkok is a leader for five-star hotels and shopping malls, but it's a diffferent story on the sidewalks

The recent survey result by the US-based Travel and Leisure magazine listing Bangkok as the best city to visit in the opinion of tourists from around the world ignited some debate among locals and long-term residents of Bangkok as to whether the city truly deserves such an accolade.

This is understandable because for many Bangkokians and long-term residents, Bangkok is congested, polluted, not safe enough and not liveable enough.

Foreigners on short-term visits get a different opinion of Bangkok and may not necessarily be bothered by the traffic jams and pollution. Some in fact consider the horrendous traffic and the adrenalin-rush of riding through the polluted streets and sois on the back of a motorcycle taxi or in a tuk-tuk as an attractive part of their Bangkok adventure. Negotiating through the human congestion - something that annoys people who have to deal with the crowds every day - may also be an exciting experience for tourists.

Nevertheless, there should be no doubt that Bangkok can significantly improve its liveability index from its residents' point of view and not just tourists.

A Bangkok that is less polluted and with more green areas can attract long-term residents. While the city may continue to top the charts for desirable tourist destinations, it definitely must try harder to improve its liveability index for the millions who live here. Unfortunately, Bangkok is nowhere near the top of any of international survey for quality of life of its residents.

Having said that, there is also room for Bangkok to improve as a tourist destination, despite its apparent continuing popularity. For example, the general standard of English comprehension - among drivers and food vendors, can be significantly improved. Currently almost no one in these occupations - who may often come into contact with foreign visitors - has any ability with the world's lingua franca. Bangkok's international schools can perhaps do something to help achieve this goal, as part of a volunteer community service by students. Why not initiate a project whereby students become teachers to ordinary people who deal with tourists, by helping with speaking skills and signage? This could be done by native English speakers in addition to other European languages and Japanese, Chinese and Korean - even if only for food vendors in popular tourist areas, and for those in the transport business. More signage in English and public maps at various sites should also be provided.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, and there are many other ways to improve the city visitors

Scam artists who trick unsuspecting tourists into buying overpriced gems or lure them into sex shows are still seen everywhere in tourist areas, working unimpeded. Perhaps the Tourist Police should be working a little harder. Guesthouses in Bangkok and beyond can be significantly improved in terms of security and cleanliness, if the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) pays more attention. TAT and other organisations should also be requesting that the feuding political factions leave foreigners and tourists out of their ongoing battle. Occupying the central business district for protests has a disastrous effect on tourism, as we have seen.

If the TAT fears it is running out of ideas to improve the city, it should organise an annual competition among students of tourism studies and hotel management on how Bangkok, and Thailand in general, can become an even more popular tourist destination. With thousands of students studying the subject at university level, we are unlikely to be short of ideas.

In the end, however, the most important thing to remember is that Bangkok needs to be improved not just for tourists but for its residents and potential residents too - for the charm of any city is invariably linked to its denizens. And if its denizens are happy, the city will likely be more attractive for visitors, too.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-30

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes , for sure BKK needs much improvement in the realm of livibility for all concerned , transportation providers could at least learn how to navigate thier clients to the required destination at the first attempt without attempting to side-track them or take them where they want to to make that extra Baht . Buses and trucks , plus some private transportation , that belch clouds of poluting and dibilitation smog should be removed from the roads , street vendors using wood as fuel for cooking should be made to change or also be removed to improve air quality .

One thing that could enhance the ease of pleasure would be to put in a system employed by Bell telephone , they give 24/7 phone service in 28 languages to assist tourists with problems and directions , just getting an operator that has understandable English is difficult to say the least in BKK .

Could add much , much more , but do not have the inclination because what ever one says , sweet fanny fork all will be done , Thai are quite content to live thier old ways and wonder where the tourist money has gone .

BKK in my opinion is a shit hole unless your going for a fun dirty but expensive weekend. Everyone will try and rip you off, tuk tuk's espically, it's expensive, it's dirty, it's hot and wet with no sun. List can go on, if I had to stay there for my time in Thailand I wouldn't be coming back.

Edited by sam666
  • Like 1

Some in fact consider the horrendous traffic and the adrenalin-rush of riding through the polluted streets and sois on the back of a motorcycle taxi or in a tuk-tuk as an attractive part of their Bangkok adventure

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Too bad they cannot substantiate that claim. Anyone that comes from a city with greenspace, cleanliness, room to move and decent air loathes Bangkok.

Bangkok is as representative of Thailand as is London to England. England has some beautiful places and people but one wouldn't know it from parts of London. Same applies to Bangkok. Thailand has so much better to offer than stinky Bangkok.

I love the statement that Bangkok has "there is also room for Bangkok to improve as a tourist destination"

Tourists come to Bangkok yes, but how many of them are true tourists as opposed to business travellers.

Of the "tourists" could imagine backpackers and sex tourists having a wail of a time in Bangkok. Families with teenagers might find it passable but relatively expensive and very tiring for a holiday/break. Families with young kids, forget it. Been there done that with my wife in tow and it is an absolute nightmare.

I would never consider a week long holiday of sightseeing in Bangkok the same way in which you can consider some of the European or even Asian capitals. With young kids getting in and out of taxis, lugging prams, moving luggage is an absolute nightmare.

Bangkok for family tourists should be 2 or 3 days tacked before or after visits to Chiangmai and the beach.

Interesting how people can in a round about way say the people responding to the poll didn't know what they were talking about. For my self I live in Chiang Mai and a week in Bangkok is on my agenda. It has nothing to do with living there it i purely a desire to see some of there sites.

As I said I live in Chiang Mai. Completely different than being a tourist. I rarely go to see the tourist sites seen most of them all ready. Some I do revisit.

Many years ago , I noted a sign on a roadside cafe "Home cooking like mother wished she could do " , it has stuck in my brain for years .

Suggest a new logo for BKK tourism " Come and spend a week in BKK , when you get back home you can ponder why you spent your hard earned cash , but there is a bonus , you will stop complaining , now you realise just how clean and friendly your home town is " Sights , sounds and SMELLS do not a vacation make .

Bangkok better than any of the great and famous cities in Europe or USA or Asia Pacific????

Another proof that statistics can be totally wrong and useless!

C'mon, are we serious? Bangkok better than Venice or Florence????

Guess the definition of crack-head perfectly suits the writer!

It's not clear what the criteria was for this survey, with Bangkok taking the top spot and Chiang Mai the second one. As anyone who has travelled the world will know, neither city should qualify as top city destinations. As for residents, yes there is so much improvement necessary, but very little willpower. Unfortunately the results of these surveys will be used to underscore that laissez faire.

BKK in my opinion is a shit hole unless your going for a fun dirty but expensive weekend. Everyone will try and rip you off, tuk tuk's espically, it's expensive, it's dirty, it's hot and wet with no sun. List can go on, if I had to stay there for my time in Thailand I wouldn't be coming back.

100% agree with your post.I would rather live in the jungle than that sess pit.Racism,polution,nastiness,wannabe hi-so farangs,proper hi-so thais,who are beyond the law,traffic congestion,major flooding,rat infested,a bad edge about the place in general,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bangkok better than any of the great and famous cities in Europe or USA or Asia Pacific????

Another proof that statistics can be totally wrong and useless!

C'mon, are we serious? Bangkok better than Venice or Florence????

Guess the definition of crack-head perfectly suits the writer!

I agree with your sentiment and I adore Florence and Venice. But have you been to Venice or Florence at the height of the summer tourist season? Or Venice during the flood season and the countless hordes of tourists from neighbouring countries on day trips? Every city has its ups and downs, as well as its good and bad seasons. A first time visitor to Bangkok can be totally captivated by the temples, the food, the culture, the quality of hotels, service etc. It's on second and subsequent visits that the cracks start to appear. I suspect many of those polled were either here on first visits or, as another poster suggested, on business.

A typical Thai attitude: without hardly knowing, what is the situation outside of their country, they are so brain-washed, they think all in their country is the best in the world. is it not their WORLD FAMOUS kitchen, then their SUPERB ccity of Bangkok.

Bangkok is just a filthy durty and very expensive shit hole, where every Thai try to rob the farangs as much as possible. I vitit this place as businesman since 1993

Well, home is where the heart is as the old saying goes. I for one live in small village outside of Udon Thani surrounded by goats, chickens, buffalo, and the occassional toad being chased by a snake or two. God, how I love it! What's my point, heck I don't know other than if the fire is hot, get out of the kitchen if you don't like it.

Some in fact consider the horrendous traffic and the adrenalin-rush of riding through the polluted streets and sois on the back of a motorcycle taxi or in a tuk-tuk as an attractive part of their Bangkok adventure

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Too bad they cannot substantiate that claim. Anyone that comes from a city with greenspace, cleanliness, room to move and decent air loathes Bangkok.

Bangkok is as representative of Thailand as is London to England. England has some beautiful places and people but one wouldn't know it from parts of London. Same applies to Bangkok. Thailand has so much better to offer than stinky Bangkok.

My guess is that if someone looked at statistics Bkk is much safer than London or any big city in the U.S. Pollution is part of a big city. The dregs of society live in the big cities all over the world - white collar criminals, drug pushers, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc. I would like someone to begin listing any big city in Europe or the Americas - more than 1 million pop. - that is not polluted from industry & that any safer than the streets of Bkk. Mexico City? L.A.? New York City? Detroit? London? Add some names & we can discuss it. Want to look at pure trash look at the big cities in Africa, Central & South America? Are they safe? Are they not polluted? Is it not dangerous to walk the streets at night? I don't like Bkk mainly b/c of the pollution in the air & the traffic but any big city has the same problems? Think about rat holes like New Delhi, Calcutta or any other city in India? Or the filth in Pakistan? Or the unbearable cold in Moscow or the filth in the cities of China like Shanghai & Beijing or any Asian country for that matter?

Agree with all the other negative comments. Bkk is a place to get out of as quickly as possible.

Permanently blocked traffic, and then INSANE speed once out on the open highway. Think of all the other big cities, some already mentioned, that are millions of miles ahead of Bkk: Seville, Barcelona, Paris, Munich, Stockholm, Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco.

Even in searing heat, Paris is still one of the most civilised places on earth. Too bad so many French live there.....

100% agree with your post.I would rather live in the jungle than that sess pit.Racism,polution,nastiness,wannabe hi-so farangs,proper hi-so thais,who are beyond the law,traffic congestion,major flooding,rat infested,a bad edge about the place in general,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

...and would rather be kicked repeatedly in the testicles with steel toed boots. :bah:

Then pack your bags and head off to the jungle Tarzan. It never ceases to amaze me at the whining by some foreign residents and tourists alike about the quality of life in BKK and Thailand in general. It seems as though folks like you want 1st world infrastructure, protections, service, etc but at 3rd world prices. A bunch of cry-babies. It is NOT expensive here if you have your head about you, a lick or two of common sense and are willing to adapt to a more indigenous lifestyle. I've been living here 5 years and before here, in Taiwan. You either get acclimated to it and find ways to make it acceptable to you, or don't let the door slap you on your behind as you leave. If it is so bad, why are you still here???

Then pack your bags and head off to the jungle Tarzan. It never ceases to amaze me at the whining by some foreign residents and tourists alike about the quality of life in BKK and Thailand in general. It seems as though folks like you want 1st world infrastructure, protections, service, etc but at 3rd world prices. A bunch of cry-babies. It is NOT expensive here if you have your head about you, a lick or two of common sense and are willing to adapt to a more indigenous lifestyle. I've been living here 5 years and before here, in Taiwan. You either get acclimated to it and find ways to make it acceptable to you, or don't let the door slap you on your behind as you leave. If it is so bad, why are you still here???

:clap2:

Yes , for sure BKK needs much improvement in the realm of livibility for all concerned , transportation providers could at least learn how to navigate thier clients to the required destination at the first attempt without attempting to side-track them or take them where they want to to make that extra Baht . Buses and trucks , plus some private transportation , that belch clouds of poluting and dibilitation smog should be removed from the roads , street vendors using wood as fuel for cooking should be made to change or also be removed to improve air quality .

One thing that could enhance the ease of pleasure would be to put in a system employed by Bell telephone , they give 24/7 phone service in 28 languages to assist tourists with problems and directions , just getting an operator that has understandable English is difficult to say the least in BKK .

Could add much , much more , but do not have the inclination because what ever one says , sweet fanny fork all will be done , Thai are quite content to live thier old ways and wonder where the tourist money has gone .

What is wrong with living the old way, it did seem a little better than the new way. I for one am glad that Thailand lets me visit their country as many times as I like and I do like.

Ahh, it never ceases to amaze me how some people will defend any negative comments about Thailand to the hilt. A statement of fact, not opinion, is that BKK is heavily congested and polluted, full of people trying to con you on every corner, plus racism and bad attitute.

However I agree, we cannot change it, but a shit hole it remains, and if you want to live there well you had better like living in a shit hole.

It's like someone who lives in the UK defending the English weather and telling everyone how lovely it is, yeah, just a few days a year it is, the rest it's lousy, as there are a few areas of BKK which are nice, but it's not the general picture.