Going To Prison

mollyp

I am arriving in Naklua this week and plan to go to Mercy Center to volunteer - located on the other side of Sukumvit - I am not able to give you exact directions. Mercy Center is an orphanage that has a number of outreach programs. One of the programs is to deliver books, soap, shampoo... to those in prison.

Don't flame the poor guy , he is only trying to help people inside ..

Fair play to him to take his own time out to deliver magazines

I think Molly is a girl... :)

considering what we did at 5am today--------------until 5.05 am--------------- i sincerely hope so !!!

Edited by neilf

OP - If you do a forum search on "prison visit" you will find several topics with information about how to get there and what to expect.

Here is a link to one of the prison visit topics - look at posts 10-11.... also contains some links to organisations that carry out regular visits.

prison visit topic

Best wishes

I am always apprehensive when the subject of visiting prisons or prisoners and as to the motive of the poster whether a real genuine concern or just wants a "Gawp", do a bit of bible bashing, etc, just wonder why no one posts they want to do hospital visiting?

The welfare of British subjects who a unfortunate to get "banged up", hospitalised, etc, abroad become the responsibility of the local consulate, tomorrow Howard Miller officially starts as our man in Pattaya, for Brits who are retired and genuinely want to help other Brits why not pass on your details to Howard and let him know you could volunteer a few hours a week/fortnight/month.

Likewise for those who are not British you could always contact you own consulate or embassy.

Edited by Basil B

OP - If you do a forum search on "prison visit" you will find several topics with information about how to get there and what to expect.

Here is a link to one of the prison visit topics - look at posts 10-11.... also contains some links to organisations that carry out regular visits.

prison visit topic

Best wishes

I am always apprehensive when the subject of visiting prisons or prisoners and as to the motive of the poster whether a real genuine concern or just wants a "Gawp", do a bit of bible bashing, etc, just wonder why no one posts they want to do hospital visiting?

The welfare of British subjects who a unfortunate to get "banged up", hospitalised, etc, abroad become the responsibility of the local consulate, tomorrow Howard Miller officially starts as our man in Pattaya, for Brits who are retired and genuinely want to help other Brits why not pass on your details to Howard and let him know you could volunteer a few hours a week/fortnight/month.

Likewise for those who are not British you could always contact you own consulate or embassy.

you would be wasting your time--------------the embassy can do nothing about conditions and knows it

well i went there and handed in about 50 mags-----------------9mm !!

ok seriously--------------it looks like a hel_l hole and i am sure it is --------------cant accept that everybody deserves to be there and as it is about 5k outside nakula its not that far.

neilf is talking about bringing 20 pairs of the one pound reading glasses you can get in uk next time he goes to uk as i understand that many inmates have nothing and a pair of glasses will make a big difference to their lives.

if you have ever wished someone------------anyone could help you at a difficult time then why not help someone now-----------that someone now might be you in the future !!

there is a lot of time energy and money in pattaya why cant some of it be put to a use like helping other farangs in the sh&t

• Like 1

But what about the local laws? wouldn't that been seen as some sort of volountering and as a such require a working permit? that's i believe one of the biggest deterrent in LOS

But what about the local laws? wouldn't that been seen as some sort of volountering and as a such require a working permit? that's i believe one of the biggest deterrent in LOS

i am sure it doesnt but dont worry cos when i looked in the mirror this morning i was still thai so i can take care you long time by collecting any donations

Edited by mollyp

You are thai? may i ask what inspired you in starting this? where is the connection? well done to you anyway :) i am still interested to find out more about the "technicalities" of this matter, if there is any members in the knows, thanks :jap:

my fbf told me about a book about an aussie in the bkk nick and how his sister helped him and other inmates

you can visit------------i believe by arrangement anybody who will see you. the danger is starting to see an individual who has no other visitors and then stopping

going and so letting them down in such a place after they wait for you to appear on a visit that they may have looked forward to for weeks.

we are talking of 80 ish to a cell which allows sleep------------with the light on------------on the floor in an exact space and you are controlled by a cell boss who is there to make sure everyone behaves and this is enforced by violence from him------thats why he is the cell boss and of course gets better food etc.

my fbf says i should help people if i can--------------------he recently helped a dog !!

every so often someone new comes onto TV and promotes the same lines as molly here.

of course everyone in prison these days must be innocent. :rolleyes: i wonder if the op has ever given any thoughts of help to the victims of crime?

anyway, each to their own, I will stick to feeding soi dogs with 4 legs, not the humans who chose their own illegal activities & then cry, 'poor me'.

my fbf says i should help people if i can

Molly you are a good person and I appreciate that, but there are also a lot of people to help that are everywhere in the streets... maybe you should contact the red cross or any international association.

There are a lot of people who are suffering in prison, but a lot of them are also rapist and murderers... maybe help the ones who are outside and in the need so that they will not turn to become a criminal?

Join an association, or you may help people who do not deserve it. They are surely looking for volunteers...

:jap:

prison visit topic

Best wishes

you would be wasting your time--------------the embassy can do nothing about conditions and knows it

I understand that prisons in Thailand are below standard that we the people of a country that is a signatory to "the convention of human rights" would expect, but that was not what I was saying...

Perhaps the people making alternate suggestions can carry them out themselves. mollyp asked about 'prison visits', not your opinion on whether she should or not.

I have visited inmates in Bangkwang. Whilst there are inmates who absolutely don't deserve the time of a visitor, there are other who are grateful for a small kindness. If it weren't for a stupid, maybe unthinking mistake.... The point being that not all are a menace to society and would be unlikely to commit a criminal act again.

So let the individual decide on where they should place their charity, without your pontificating. Remember that 'it takes all kinds to make the world go around'.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu