Money Transfers From Uk To Bangkok Bank

Hi, I seem to remember some discussion about transferring money from UK banks to Bangkok Bank via their branch in London, couldn't find the thread, sorry.

Anyway, I found this page which describes the process and the charges, maybe some will find it useful :)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/UK_Internet%20Banking.aspx

Cheers,

Biff

Hi

I have an account in the Isle of Man with Lloyds TSB offshore and use Internet banking. they will make a wire transfer into a Thai Bank with a fee of £13 for a regular or £19 for an expidited transfer of up to £10,000. The regular service takes about 5 days or the faster service about 3 days. you have to use their phone bank service for this which merely requires a phone call (I use Skype) to the UK.

A much cheaper option than using ATMS and paying 150 baht plus a UK charges of 1.5% a time

Great information and really helpful, thanks.

There is also a company in the UK that transfers money to Thailand with NO fees. and they also guarantee that if the receiving bank charges anything , like Bangkok Bank usually charges upto 500 baht, they will REFUND this fee if you send them an email showing a scanned copy of your bank book showing the fee charged.

I have used them many times, they are very quick, its all done online, and the refund of any fees is also extremely fast.

www.hifx.co.uk

Hope people find it useful.

Great information and really helpful, thanks.

There is also a company in the UK that transfers money to Thailand with NO fees. and they also guarantee that if the receiving bank charges anything , like Bangkok Bank usually charges upto 500 baht, they will REFUND this fee if you send them an email showing a scanned copy of your bank book showing the fee charged.

I have used them many times, they are very quick, its all done online, and the refund of any fees is also extremely fast.

www.hifx.co.uk

Hope people find it useful.

Hi

I have an account in the Isle of Man with Lloyds TSB offshore and use Internet banking. they will make a wire transfer into a Thai Bank with a fee of £13 for a regular or £19 for an expidited transfer of up to £10,000. The regular service takes about 5 days or the faster service about 3 days. you have to use their phone bank service for this which merely requires a phone call (I use Skype) to the UK.

A much cheaper option than using ATMS and paying 150 baht plus a UK charges of 1.5% a time

You can avoid the 150 baht fee by using AEON, they dont charge a fee.

i have used this transferring money from my bank (natwest) to the BKK London and then to BKK bank in Thailand.

very easy. But at the time, with the money I was transferring, it worked out easier, quicker and only slightly less better than using western union. Also, a lot less scary... (at that time of sending money, by the end of the day BKK London said they still had not received my transfer from natwest even though it should have been instant. Furthermore, BKK bank in London was closed the next day also which gave me a hefty fright as I thought something had went extremely wrong. Was some sort of bank holiday that I never knew about since they did not tell me :lol:).

anyway, if it was not for this bank holiday, the money would have been transferred by the next day. All you do is contact them first, send the money to them, they will see it and will send it on to your designated account in Thailand.

Hi,

Since this thread started, a number of posters suggested a company who could transfer money from UK to Thailand, sounded great. Company name a bit like ZOOM (the ad's have been removed by now). When you check the website, Thailand does not appear on their drop down menu of countries serviced, so I E-Mailed then to confirm and this is their response:

Dear *******

We thank you for considering **** regarding your money transfer.

Please be aware that at the moment we are not offering money transfer services to Thailand. We aplogize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards

**** Customer Service Team

Oh well, maybe next time! ;)

I have tried various ways to transfer money from UK to Thailand. I have found out that any company ( Forex type ), or even a bank that offers free transfers, make their fees through giving you a poor exchange rate. Their rates are often 1.5 - 2 % lower than the market exchange rates. Depending on how much you want to transfer this can make the transfer more expensive than using a UK high street bank.

My experience of using Bkk Bank London has dissuaded me from using it again. They offer two different options, either to convert your money in London and send a baht amount to your BKK account in Thailand, or to remit sterling to your Thai account and convert it there. The fees are different depending on which way you choose, and inevitably buying baht in London gets a less favourable rate. I requested transfer of sterling and conversion in Thailand, but when I saw the rate at which I was credited it looked pretty much like the "offshore" rate. And then, having acknowledged receipt of the funds from my UK bank, they said it would be a week - a whole week - before the funds were available in my BKK bank account, and they weren't kidding! So I won't be using them again.

I have started using UKForex, whose rates aren't bad, you can choose exactly when to deal, and I have the money in Thailand in less than 3 working days. I take the other poster's point that they've got to make a profit somewhere if they're doing it for free, but I prefer to do everything online and avoid costly phone calls and the £25 hit that the UK bank takes every time. I bought at £1=49.903 on Friday night. I could have got 50.1 on Thursday afternoon if I hadn't been greedy and decided to wait another day to see if it would go a bit further.