Thai Prisons Bursting With Drug Offenders

webfact

Many drugs are really bad for a person...and some are still legal. Some need prescription, some can be bought anywhere.

The decision as to what is banned is based on money and power, not danger levels.

And the 'War on Drugs' has only created powerful and rich drug cartells that can field an heavy armed army to fight the army of a third world country.

And politicians have invested too much of their political capital to see the truth anytime soon. Or in many cases benefit directly from the 'War', be it from the candidate being the one who is taking a 'tough stance', are in bed with lobbyists from the industrimilitary complex, drug company cartells or other, or a misplaced political belief in who should decide what others can and cannot do to themselves.

All we know is that the war has and is failing for the last 100 years.

Many drugs are really bad for a person...and some are still legal. Some need prescription, some can be bought anywhere.

The decision as to what is banned is based on money and power, not danger levels.

And the 'War on Drugs' has only created powerful and rich drug cartells that can field an heavy armed army to fight the army of a third world country.

And politicians have invested too much of their political capital to see the truth anytime soon. Or in many cases benefit directly from the 'War', be it from the candidate being the one who is taking a 'tough stance', are in bed with lobbyists from the industrimilitary complex, drug company cartells or other, or a misplaced political belief in who should decide what others can and cannot do to themselves.

All we know is that the war has and is failing for the last 100 years.

And will continue to fail for the next 100 years if they insist on pursuing the current policies.

But then politicians are traditionally neither bright nor brave, so they will carry on pouring billions of taxpayers money into a no-win situation. Same old same old...

Drugs are a supply and demand product....one must have the other to survive.

Cut of the supply, it will stop.

Cut of demand it will stop.

Perhaps the area that needs to be looked at is not existing addicts but the prevention of new or future addicts. Lets get the kids educated about the dangers of illicit drug use, lets try and prevent kids from ruining their lives.

Smoking is legal but people still break the law to steal cigarettes, bring more than they are allowed into a country etc...Trucks full of ciggies still get hijacked. How often when a bottle shop/off licence/ bar gets broken into do you hear that the thieves stole cigarettes as well as alcohol. You cant tell me that an addict who is doing house breaks to get his choice of drug is suddenly going to start paying money out of his own pocket to pay for them just because they are legal.

Add to that the mental health issues that come with these drugs. Even soft drugs like weed are known to cause mental health issues with prolonged use.

And legally, If a user of the "legal" drug goes mental and severely hurts someone, would that person be able to take action against the supplier of the drug, in the same way people have sued airlines over secondhand smoke issues?

Cant see it being legalised any time soon.

Reduce demand....reduce crime...reduce jail numbers

Edited by gburns57au

Perhaps the area that needs to be looked at is not existing addicts but the prevention of new or future addicts. Lets get the kids educated about the dangers of illicit drug use, lets try and prevent kids from ruining their lives.

Smoking is legal but people still break the law to steal cigarettes, bring more than they are allowed into a country etc...Trucks full of ciggies still get hijacked. How often when a bottle shop/off licence/ bar gets broken into do you hear that the thieves stole cigarettes as well as alcohol. You cant tell me that an addict who is doing house breaks to get his choice of drug is suddenly going to start paying money out of his own pocket to pay for them just because they are legal.

Add to that the mental health issues that come with these drugs. Even soft drugs like weed are known to cause mental health issues with prolonged use.

And legally, If a user of the "legal" drug goes mental and severely hurts someone, would that person be able to take action against the supplier of the drug, in the same way people have sued airlines over secondhand smoke issues?

Cant see it being legalised any time soon.

Reduce demand....reduce crime...reduce jail numbers

You are rite on with

:Perhaps the area that needs to be looked at is not existing addicts but the prevention of new or future addicts. Lets get the kids educated about the dangers of illicit drug use, lets try and prevent kids from ruining their lives."

Thailand is not alone in there approach to the problem. They like so many other countries spend so much time trying to clean up spilled milk that they don't try to stop it from continuing to spill. We must always remember politicians are not the sharpest knifes in the drawer. If they were they would not be in politics except for the one who are there for the corruption money.

Just like they did with such success in the US in the 20s with prohibition, eh?

You are right about educating the young about the follies of taking some of the illegal drugs that are available, but you won't convince them while the current drugs regime prevails. You never heard of the "forbidden fruit" syndrome? Young people just love to stick two fingers (or one, if you're American!) up to authority.

No, unless there is a seismic shift in global (and it has to be global, not local) drugs policies, nothing will change. Drugs barons will continue to make billions, unfortunate mules will continue to be duped into reckless attempts to smuggle, street dealers will continue to cut their stuff with all sorts of crap, and kids that take those drugs cut with the aforementioned crap will continue to suffer the consequences.

And the politicians, who don't have a clue what they're talking about, will continue to issue populist soundbites about "getting tough on drugs" which is merely a euphemism for spending more of your money on an unwinnable war.

And nothing will change.

Solve the problem & legalise drugs.

Wishful thinking, indeed. It's been far too late for some time now. This long ideals and history of such illegal drugs and the subsequent war on drugs has long been implanted in the minds, hearts, and souls of populations - and the fabricated dark overwhelming negativity that such activities that associate. Social engineering at it's premium. If only more understood the rhymes and reasons {and history} of how this rather modern phenomena of such "bad drugs" was developed for them.....by the corporate-government national security system. And then, we are asked to turn a blind eye towards the ever-present monster that is the medical-pharmaceutical industrial mafia - which I might add - kills tens of thousands of people annually through misuse, malpractice, and the ever-popular conditioning of drugged-out societies. The real criminals will never come to the surface, as we've been slightly hypnotized as to the "good drugs" and their {perceived} well-intended properties and promoted goodness. The criminal activity and behaviour associated with 'illegal' drugs is purely a farce. Real as it might be, there is certainly no reason for gangland executions and well-established cartels behind the distribution of these substances. Why? Because they've invented such a world for you. Ever heard of whiskey or beer cartel? Alcohol, which kills and disables 100 fold more individuals than any such illegal drugs. Criminal activity? Can we recognize it? How are druggies, their associations, a real harm to a respective culture? Whereas, the real criminals of government and industry {white-collar} generally are never prosecuted nor brought to any satisfying justice regarding the crimes they commit on societies at large - whom really do harm to societal infrastructures and whatnot. Critical thinking and historical knowledge is principle in combating the real wrongs that are perpetuated among our societies.

A surprising post.

I don't agree unequivocally, but the broad thrust of your post is pretty much on the nail.

You won't convince many here (or anywhere, to be honest) however, as most have been in thrall to the received orthodoxy all their lives, and have no appetite for objective thought.

Which is exactly why so many people avoid commenting about the legalisation of drugs. They'd sooner make inane comments than get into the 'nitty gritty' of the subject.

"It's easier to be a follower than think for yourself."

You are right about educating the young about the follies of taking some of the illegal drugs that are available, but you won't convince them while the current drugs regime prevails. You never heard of the "forbidden fruit" syndrome? Young people just love to stick two fingers (or one, if you're American!) up to authority.

No, unless there is a seismic shift in global (and it has to be global, not local) drugs policies, nothing will change. Drugs barons will continue to make billions, unfortunate mules will continue to be duped into reckless attempts to smuggle, street dealers will continue to cut their stuff with all sorts of crap, and kids that take those drugs cut with the aforementioned crap will continue to suffer the consequences.

And the politicians, who don't have a clue what they're talking about, will continue to issue populist soundbites about "getting tough on drugs" which is merely a euphemism for spending more of your money on an unwinnable war.

And nothing will change.

Everyone here looks for the quick fix. Legalise it, execute the dealers/suppliers etc...

Wake up people.....there is no quick fix. The problem is too large.

Any effort to stamp out illicit drug use will take generations to succeed. And it begins in the home not at school although it should be on the curriculum.

Legalising it creates a huge potential that governments dont want to go near for good reason.

While people are making millions out of it, the supply will always be there.

What is needed is to cut off demand....fewer addicts, fewer users, fewer problems.

Nothing like prohibition.

And nothing will change.

Everyone here looks for the quick fix. Legalise it, execute the dealers/suppliers etc...

Any effort to stamp out illicit drug use will take generations to succeed. And it begins in the home not at school although it should be on the curriculum.

Legalising it creates a huge potential that governments dont want to go near for good reason.

What is needed is to cut off demand....fewer addicts, fewer users, fewer problems.

How interesting!

Prohibition did nothing but to install a drug mafia. Prior to this, people used drugs...but not everybody did. Prohibition simply advertised drugs & the further affect was horrendous.

Did you know that prior to about 1955, 'heroin' was legally sold in Australia, in the form of elixers? Australia was compelled to join the American 'war on drugs' under threat of being seen as 'communists', if Australia didn't comply. Prior to this, Australia never had a 'drug' problem nor a 'heroin' problem. BTW, the heroin used in the elixers was NOT adulterated with all sorts of chemicals...it was quite pure. The 'adulteration' only occured after the 'war on drugs' was declared.

In case you don't know, the human existence requires a drug culture. It has been so since the year DOT & will always be a drug culture. You can't stop this but it can be regulated.

It's very easy for any political movement to score political 'brownie points' in the 'war on drugs'. Why? Because most of the world's population know nothing about 'drugs'. It's simply another 'moral' crusade. Everybody loves to feel that they are 'fighting the good fight'.

The reason why the prisons are full of drug offenders...everywhere...is because the 'law makers' are politically motivated, due to the earlier 'drug prohibition' crap & also because they simply love to take responsibility for each individual's actions (not). The actions of such politicians are bolstered by the 'we are fighting the good fight' crowd.

Thailand is simply adopting the stupidity of the western world when it comes to this subject.

I'm about 99.9% certain that you don't give a hoot what chemical I put into my body.

And nothing will change.

There will always be demand, people have always used drugs. This is not going to change. I am for legalization but it brings its own problems.

I do think that people will not steal if the price was cheaper. Come on now a yabaa tables is 150 bt or so but it cost 3 baht to make. So they don't have to steal.

Anyway there will always be people who cant handle drugs just as there are people who can't handle alcohol and there will be people who can handle them. Not every user is an addict.

You are right its not an easy problem it will never be easy. I have used drugs in the past but i am wise enough not to try that here in Thailand. Holland with its weed has much less addicts then countries who forbid the use. I am also not stupid enough this goes for every drug because there will always be people who mess up their lives with it.

There should be good and fair education about drugs not .. drugs are bad don't do it. That just wont work. I have known many users of xtc who had quite normal lives but used xtc a few times a month to party. I even used it but stopped once i found that after use i was not able to 100% use my brain and that was bad for work.

I can see how people are against drugs when it messes people up but its a choice that people make. I don't mind if someone messes his life up for me it starts to become a problem if they mess others lives up. (stealing / driving under the influence / violence ect.) I think drugs are a choice and if you only damage yourself its your choice. The moment it affects others then its a different story.

So I admit that legalization wont be perfect, but neither is prohibition.

How interesting!

Prohibition did nothing but to install a drug mafia. Prior to this, people used drugs...but not everybody did. Prohibition simply advertised drugs & the further affect was horrendous.

Did you know that prior to about 1955, 'heroin' was legally sold in Australia, in the form of elixers? Australia was compelled to join the American 'war on drugs' under threat of being seen as 'communists', if Australia didn't comply. Prior to this, Australia never had a 'drug' problem nor a 'heroin' problem. BTW, the heroin used in the elixers was NOT adulterated with all sorts of chemicals...it was quite pure. The 'adulteration' only occured after the 'war on drugs' was declared.

In case you don't know, the human existence requires a drug culture. It has been so since the year DOT & will always be a drug culture. You can't stop this but it can be regulated.

It's very easy for any political movement to score political 'brownie points' in the 'war on drugs'. Why? Because most of the world's population know nothing about 'drugs'. It's simply another 'moral' crusade. Everybody loves to feel that they are 'fighting the good fight'.

The reason why the prisons are full of drug offenders...everywhere...is because the 'law makers' are politically motivated, due to the earlier 'drug prohibition' crap & also because they simply love to take responsibility for each individual's actions (not). The actions of such politicians are bolstered by the 'we are fighting the good fight' crowd.

Thailand is simply adopting the stupidity of the western world when it comes to this subject.

I'm about 99.9% certain that you don't give a hoot what chemical I put into my body.

Where did I say prohibtion....is that not where the supply was cut off forcing people to run illegal stills to make it.

My point was to reduce the demand not the supply....not prohibition but rather education from an early age.

Your right, I dont care what you stick in your body...but I would care if your actions in any way was even remotely influential in your kids doing drugs.

There will always be demand, people have always used drugs. This is not going to change. I am for legalization but it brings its own problems.

I do think that people will not steal if the price was cheaper. Come on now a yabaa tables is 150 bt or so but it cost 3 baht to make. So they don't have to steal.

Anyway there will always be people who cant handle drugs just as there are people who can't handle alcohol and there will be people who can handle them. Not every user is an addict.

You are right its not an easy problem it will never be easy. I have used drugs in the past but i am wise enough not to try that here in Thailand. Holland with its weed has much less addicts then countries who forbid the use. I am also not stupid enough this goes for every drug because there will always be people who mess up their lives with it.

There should be good and fair education about drugs not .. drugs are bad don't do it. That just wont work. I have known many users of xtc who had quite normal lives but used xtc a few times a month to party. I even used it but stopped once i found that after use i was not able to 100% use my brain and that was bad for work.

I can see how people are against drugs when it messes people up but its a choice that people make. I don't mind if someone messes his life up for me it starts to become a problem if they mess others lives up. (stealing / driving under the influence / violence ect.) I think drugs are a choice and if you only damage yourself its your choice. The moment it affects others then its a different story.

Cigarettes are a legal drug that kills thousands every year...However the number of smokers worldwide is decreasing, because people are more educated about the effects of smoking. Most countries have smoking policies in place that are restrictive to smokers and virtually are pushing people into back alleys to smoke. Funny that....Now we have people using a legal drug in the same sort of places that illicit drug users were using. :) Anyway this does show that education while a slow fix will work eventually.

Yes there will always be a drug culture and users, to think that any method will totally eliminate it is ludricous. The idea of educating the youth is to reduce the number of users in the future and reducing demand for the drugs. Yes it would force the price up, and some will still do house breaks to get money, others would cease using.

Prohibition is cutting off supply if you apply it to the US years....I never advocated that...I am talking about reducing demand.

BTW.....There wasnt a drug problem in Oz in the 1950's for a variety of reasons....Our values were different for a start. We were taught right from wrong, parents were respected and allowed to bring up their kids with discipline. I really cant see the reason being that it was available in "elixirs", Most of the time the "elixirs" were used to treat medical issues not as a recreational thing and most people didnt know what the ingredients were. Back in the 70's a cough medicine was taken off the market as it contained an illegal drug. Codeine is a morphine derivative and yet morphine is a controlled drug, this is why the government recently put restrictions on the sale of codeine based medicines.

So yes some substances are still available in medicines (Elixirs), But that had little to do with the lack of a drug problem in Oz in 1950 whatever....The problem with drugs came about in the 1960's when drug use became more widespread due to the hippie/free love movement.

Edited by gburns57au

Cigarettes are a legal drug that kills thousands every year...However the number of smokers worldwide is decreasing, because people are more educated about the effects of smoking.

Well, no, globally smoking is on the rise, but the market is shifting from first world to third world for the major corporations, including their advertising, product placement in movies etc.

And nothing will change.

How about educating them as to what each drug does so they will know what they are choosing. It will not stop all people but it will stop some and there will be those who go for a drug with less harmful affects to them and society.

How about educating them as to what each drug does so they will know what they are choosing. It will not stop all people but it will stop some and there will be those who go for a drug with less harmful affects to them and society.

I could live with that :)

Good idea as long as it is honest education not propaganda. I agree that drugs are bad but they are not all as bad as they are portrait ed.

Thai prisons or any other prison for that matter, will continue to be filled with these 'terrible' drug addicts.

I'd really like to know what the problem is. I'd really like to know why so many people hate drug users.

The international 'war on drugs' has been a total failure. It's time to wake up to the fact that humans will take drugs...with or without the law. The only difference is that if drug use was legal, the quality of the drug could be controlled & also any money made from such drugs would not fund terrorism, crime or any other nasty thing, providing the government in question is not largely corrupt. Unadulterated drugs will definitely not cause long term harm to users.

If people are so needy of laws, it would be easy to exclude drug users from certain things like medical benefits. Of course, this could quite possibly affect tobacco users & alcohol users (as it should, to maintain equality).

And whilst we are excluding 'troublesome' people, what about all those who are addicted to television? What about those addicted to codein, aspirin & valium? What about those who are addicted to driving fast?

Good idea as long as it is honest education not propaganda. I agree that drugs are bad but they are not all as bad as they are portrait ed.

Or I would say, some are really bad - including those against prescriptions - but one cannot lump everything together under one label and say 'super bad' as they did in school when i was young. People smoked weed, found out that they propaganda about psychoses etc was most likely propaganda, and then questioned *all* the info given...including the fair warnings.

Or I would say, some are really bad - including those against prescriptions - but one cannot lump everything together under one label and say 'super bad' as they did in school when i was young. People smoked weed, found out that they propaganda about psychoses etc was most likely propaganda, and then questioned *all* the info given...including the fair warnings.

Yes, this is where the root of the problem lies.

My gut feeling is that had they not made weed illegal in the first place we wouldn't have the plethora of exotic psychtropics and amphetamines on the streets now.

The mere fact that the the demonisation of cannabis is demonstrably based on myth and fallacy forms the basis for the casual interpretation of warnings about the dangers of other substances.

The reason for marijuana being made illegal in the first place is in fact quite interesting. There are several accounts which vary slightly in detail, but they all basically say the same thing. You can read about it here. It's an interesting piece of history that most people are totally unaware of, despite the fact that it has had such far-reaching ramifications globally as the subsequent years have unfolded.

That is what i am getting at.. im sure drugs are bad.. but not all are equally bad and there is a lot of propaganda. Anyway I doubt that things will change.

Your right, I dont care what you stick in your body...but I would care if your actions in any way was even remotely influential in your kids doing drugs.

Why on earth would you care about my kids if you don't care about me?

If you cant figure that out then it is not worth discussing it with you.

Why on earth would you care about my kids if you don't care about me?

If you cant figure that out then it is not worth discussing it with you.

Please assume that I am completely stupid & explain this to me.

Went through all this on a previous thread.

Had a brother in law who hung himself when full of cannabis, was a full time addict used to buy the stuff by the kilo with his dole, he was unemployable.

Not dangerous! Yea right.

All the drugs that are banned should stay that way and tobacco should be added to the list.

Appart from the abject stupidity of sucking a dangerous polutant diractly into your own lungs it also now seems certain that half of all smokers will die of smoking related disease.

I noticed, and there was a lot of cannabis where I lived, that taking drugs is a progressive thing starting with smoking.

Non smokers were less likely to go on to cannibis and then on to so called hearder drugs.

Had a brother in law who hung himself when full of cannabis, was a full time addict used to buy the stuff by the kilo with his dole, he was unemployable.

All the drugs that are banned should stay that way and tobacco should be added to the list.

Appart from the abject stupidity of sucking a dangerous polutant diractly into your own lungs it also now seems certain that half of all smokers will die of smoking related disease.

I noticed, and there was a lot of cannabis where I lived, that taking drugs is a progressive thing starting with smoking.

Non smokers were less likely to go on to cannibis and then on to so called hearder drugs.

Ah, I can tell you are an avid reader of the gutter press, and believe everything you read therein.

"Well, it was in the paper, so it must be true..."

If your brother in law was a "full time addict", then he was the only one in the world. And if he was buying it by the kilo with his dole, tell me where he lived - I'd like to get dole money on that scale! :lol:

Sorry, Robby, but I'm afraid you are one of the "useful idiots" so beloved of governments and organisations around the world. You obviously know absolutely nothing about the subject upon which you are pontificating.

Please understand that your brother is in an extreme minority.

If he is the yard-stick for legislation, they we should ban cars, tv, snowball fights and walking outside without a helmet.