Building Swimming Pool

martc

1st post so please be gentle

Having a house built in hua hin on the palm hills golf course and want a swimming pool. I contacted a local pool company and they quoted 690,000 for an 8m by 4m with a 2m by 2m spa including all bits ( pump, filter, ect ) Anyone got any info on brtter prices

many thanks

Martin

I don't think that price quote is excessive. Also includes spa. I guess you are talking Jacuzzi or something similar next to the pool. Easiest part is digging the hole. Hardest part is the tiling and filter/pump system which might be imported. Swimming pool you mentioned is quite large and would add value to your property. So I would say maybe try to reduce the amount by 20,000 baht or so if you can. BUT make sure there is some kind of default contract so that they are responsible for repairs if things go wrong.

Basically you are not being ripped off I believe. You are being ripped off in general if you are building this for a girlfriend or something similar. If this is for yourself and you are the legal owner then I would say go for it and enjoy.

BR,

Forest

Martin , I agree that these quotes from swimming pool companies are excessive, when you consider that the cost of cement , tiles and labour is fairly inexpensive in Thailand. But they all seem to quote about the same price. It seems that your small to average size pool is never less than about 500k. Some posters have indicated that they have used builders as an alternative to swimming pool companies and brought the cost down to 300-400k. Try doing a search on this forum. There is loads of info.

Probably the spa has added about another 150,000 baht to the price - they need extra pumps and relatively powerfull ones at that, however I still do not see that an extra pump makes THAT much difference to the price, but like other posters have said, its pretty consistent between the companies. Interestingly, in 99% of the examples I have seen, the end result is nothing more than couple of extra blowers set into the concrete, so I have never bothered. If I did I think I would go for one of the dedicated Jacuzzi machines capable of seating 4-6 people with jets all over the walls and in the floor. They cost about 200,000 baht, but its a way better jacuzzi than the examples I have seen where they form part of the pool.

All you people that have built a swimming pool, do you consider that it was a good investment a year or so down the line. Do you use the pool enough, are the running costs OK, is the maintenance a pain in the bum. I wish you would share your thoughts with us on this issue, so that when I build my OOL (notice that there is no P in my pool cos thats the way I like it) I will know what I am letting myself in for.

Steve