Kajonkietsuksa School Phuket

Chozen1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked there a few years back and was shocked by how bad it was there. I saw very young children running all over the place unattended, children left the premises without anyone noticing until hours later etc. The staff group is a tight club which closes ranks to protect those that are in the group. It is not a good place to start work. Say anything about the standard of care and you are out. It is not a good place to send children or to work.

Chozen1, the Kajonkietsuksa has just announced the start of an International Programme (IP) this year. See attached pdf file. Any information on this ? Is it truly going to be an international school (British Curriculum) or is it just a new way to extract more money ? <_<

kajon-ip.pdf

As stated earlier ( I know, I am not Chozen1), the teacher who brought it to Kajon, Teacher Eugene, abruptly left last Friday and a new teacher will run the IGCSE. As it looks right now, she has no idea on what to do and most of the books have not arrived and to add insult to injury, they ordered books that are outdated and out of print.

Come November, the kids will test for the Biology IGCSE, at between 4,000 and 5,000 Baht. They will not be ready for it.

Having been to both parent - teacher meetings last week, 4 foreign teachers are leaving at the end of the term. One of them is a great English teacher for M level students. Shame on Kajonkiet.

From what I saw and read they intend to start September 2011. Are you talking about November 2010 or November 2011 Somtamnication?

Yes, Steelepulse, the information was updated yesterday and they are now talking about September 2011.

Chozen1, the Kajonkietsuksa has just announced the start of an International Programme (IP) this year. See attached pdf file. Any information on this ? Is it truly going to be an international school (British Curriculum) or is it just a new way to extract more money ?

Chozen1, the Kajonkietsuksa has just announced the start of an International Programme (IP) this year. See attached pdf file. Any information on this ? Is it truly going to be an international school (British Curriculum) or is it just a new way to extract more money ? <_<

Hi there napalm. I did respond but for some reason it didn't register. As far as I know, the intention is there for a British International Curriculum. For the life of me I don't know how that took place so quickly and yes it was recently announced. However, I would think there would be many other components the school would need to pass before certification. I have never seen a school become certified so quickly, especially given all the loop holes at the school. I would question its completion but then I am not involved in that process. Maybe the new school and its facilities would qualify aspects of the IP, but I think they've jumped the gun to claim they are now an IP school with British certification. It could be possible for the EP at Matium level, but I'm sure the truth is they are being assessed for certification to become an IP school.

Hi there napalm. I did respond but for some reason it didn't register. As far as I know, the intention is there for a British International Curriculum. For the life of me I don't know how that took place so quickly and yes it was recently announced. However, I would think there would be many other components the school would need to pass before certification. I have never seen a school become certified so quickly, especially given all the loop holes at the school. I would question its completion but then I am not involved in that process. Maybe the new school and its facilities would qualify aspects of the IP, but I think they've jumped the gun to claim they are now an IP school with British certification. It could be possible for the EP at Matium level, but I'm sure the truth is they are being assessed for certification to become an IP school. This is a website to give you an idea of the process in certifying a school and the length of time needed. http://www.cois.org/page.cfm?p=14

I find it somewhat strange that what the OP posts is almost exactly the opposite of my experience with my daughter going to this school, at least the English Program. Now don't get me wrong I don't think the school is the be all and end all, it could do with a serious lick of paint for starters.

I have only really experienced the Kindergarden, of which the 3 teachers my daughter has, up until now had, are all still working at the school. My daughter is fluent in English at age 4, she can hold a full and varied conversation without having to overly think any part of the conversation. She can write her name, my name, her mother and brothers name in English albeit with the odd letter back to front and she constantly questions everything. Class size has always been around 20-25.

I have a pretty good library of US and UK educational books(sourced from Amazon) meant for home schooling and additional edication for 4,5 and 6 year olds at home. My daughter blazes through the content meant for 4 and 5 year olds and is at ease with some of the more elementary subject matter in the books meant for 6 year olds.

I do wish there where more sporting facilities and a bit more communication between the school and teachers but I'm happy enough with the level of education that I'm starting my son in Pre-K very shortly. I'm really not sure of the schools ability at the middle/high school level and I think it's priced at the edge of what I think is reasonable but am non the less satisfied with the school so far.

I find it somewhat strange that what the OP posts is almost exactly the opposite of my experience with my daughter going to this school, at least the English Program. Now don't get me wrong I don't think the school is the be all and end all, it could do with a serious lick of paint for starters.

I have only really experienced the Kindergarden, of which the 3 teachers my daughter has, up until now had, are all still working at the school. My daughter is fluent in English at age 4, she can hold a full and varied conversation without having to overly think any part of the conversation. She can write her name, my name, her mother and brothers name in English albeit with the odd letter back to front and she constantly questions everything. Class size has always been around 20-25.

I have a pretty good library of US and UK educational books(sourced from Amazon) meant for home schooling and additional edication for 4,5 and 6 year olds at home. My daughter blazes through the content meant for 4 and 5 year olds and is at ease with some of the more elementary subject matter in the books meant for 6 year olds.

I do wish there where more sporting facilities and a bit more communication between the school and teachers but I'm happy enough with the level of education that I'm starting my son in Pre-K very shortly. I'm really not sure of the schools ability at the middle/high school level and I think it's priced at the edge of what I think is reasonable but am non the less satisfied with the school so far.

Hello Benjie, I am very glad that you and your child are having a positive experience at the school. I'm sure there are many people who benefit from it or else the school wouldn't have so many students staying. As I mentioned before in my earlier posts, the information is mainly true to the ESC programme and Thai of course. I also mentioned that many of the teachers at the school do have a heart for the children and they work hard. Of course it shouldn't go unnoticed your child has an advantage as I can see your English is good and may I assume you speak English to your child at home. In ESC many children only have Thai speaking parents. But it's not about how much English the children learn, the post is about the school environment. But it's good to have positive feedback as well or it wouldn't be a fair post :)

No the new school is for the International program and perhaps the English program as far as I'm aware.

I don't think they'd open up a new school and move the higher fee programs to the old premises.

Rumours say that the IP program will be hosted in the old Thai program building after they moved it to the new site in Kathu..... so pay a lot more and still no access to any sports facility....Hmmm <_<

Of what I know in relation to the school changes. The EP students will head to the new school and of course any new intakes will be part of the IP. The ESC students will stay in the building where the EP students are at present. The Thai program will stay in the older building. But nothing is set in concrete yet.

I have one question only to ask in regards to the letter Kajonkiet management put out. It states "Our school meets all the required standards of British University and we are now a Cambridge International Centre." So the question is...what are all the required standards? Because I would almost be positive that if they were to make that available then maybe we would see a different story. The school may be considered for being accredited. Every school must make an application to become a Cambridge School but the criteria to be certified is extensive. It takes a few years before full accreditation is given. If that is not the case, then I would seriously be considering the legitimacy of a British Program. So maybe the letter should read "Our school is being considered for British University accreditation"

The other question, Chozen1, is, now that the instigator for the Cambridge qualifications route has now left, and no doubt, the school used his considerable experience and credentials to get the accreditation, would they still be qualified, as he has now left? Me thinks not.

And Cambridge is not bribe-able. :whistling:

The other question, Chozen1, is, now that the instigator for the Cambridge qualifications route has now left, and no doubt, the school used his considerable experience and credentials to get the accreditation, would they still be qualified, as he has now left? Me thinks not.

Well Som...as I said before I do not believe the school has been given accreditation. In actual fact I was speaking with someone from Kajon and they stated the letter sent out by the manager of the school went out by mistake. Wonder how? And yes Cambridge is not bribe-able.

I am not sure what difference it will make to Kajon now. But if what the letter says is true, then the man who assisted Kajon to become accredited no longer matters...or does he? Of course if the school is not yet accredited (as anyone that has worked in British International schools would know, it is a long process.), then yes I would think they would be lost without him.

I find it somewhat strange that what the OP posts is almost exactly the opposite of my experience with my daughter going to this school, at least the English Program. Now don't get me wrong I don't think the school is the be all and end all, it could do with a serious lick of paint for starters....I do wish there where more sporting facilities and a bit more communication between the school and teachers but I'm happy enough with the level of education that I'm starting my son in Pre-K very shortly. I'm really not sure of the schools ability at the middle/high school level and I think it's priced at the edge of what I think is reasonable but am non the less satisfied with the school so far.

I agree with Benjie... I have 2 kids there in K3 and P3. Sure its not perfect, but I do not have more money for an international school, and my kids like it, like their teachers, and I would like to think my kids are smart! Issues? Too much homework sometimes, but not often, I think that depends on the teacher. I have spoken at length to my kids teachers over the years, maybe my kids have been lucky and got the right teachers - ones who enjoy their job, enjoy teaching and don't post on Thai Visa! Any other issues? Like Benjie, I agree more sport would be good, but anyway my kids are active at home, we like to go swimming or ride bikes, and we have been taking our son to football practice at the school at weekends. And as their dad (me) could be called "nerdy", I like to read with them, teach them things that maybe they don't get at school like geography and other languages. Every kid should have an atlas! And the new school they are building is just minutes from our house, which is good and I see the plans include swimming pools, which is good. My daughter has now had 5+ years at the school, 2 of them were in the Thai school which helped boost her Thai, and our son was 1 year in the Thai school and they loved that too. I am quite happy with Kajonkiet, thanks for asking.

Edited by PhuketBlogger

I find it somewhat strange that what the OP posts is almost exactly the opposite of my experience with my daughter going to this school, at least the English Program. Now don't get me wrong I don't think the school is the be all and end all, it could do with a serious lick of paint for starters....I do wish there where more sporting facilities and a bit more communication between the school and teachers but I'm happy enough with the level of education that I'm starting my son in Pre-K very shortly. I'm really not sure of the schools ability at the middle/high school level and I think it's priced at the edge of what I think is reasonable but am non the less satisfied with the school so far.

I agree with Benjie... I have 2 kids there in K3 and P3. Sure its not perfect, but I do not have more money for an international school, and my kids like it, like their teachers, and I would like to think my kids are smart! Issues? Too much homework sometimes, but not often, I think that depends on the teacher. I have spoken at length to my kids teachers over the years, maybe my kids have been lucky and got the right teachers - ones who enjoy their job, enjoy teaching and don't post on Thai Visa! Any other issues? Like Benjie, I agree more sport would be good, but anyway my kids are active at home, we like to go swimming or ride bikes, and we have been taking our son to football practice at the school at weekends. And as their dad (me) could be called "nerdy", I like to read with them, teach them things that maybe they don't get at school like geography and other languages. Every kid should have an atlas! And the new school they are building is just minutes from our house, which is good and I see the plans include swimming pools, which is good. My daughter has now had 5+ years at the school, 2 of them were in the Thai school which helped boost her Thai, and our son was 1 year in the Thai school and they loved that too. I am quite happy with Kajonkiet, thanks for asking.

I am happy you are happy and that your kids are smart. I would appreciate it however, that you would have the intelligence not to make any personal attacks as you know nothing about me and what I posted was to highlight things which I've witnessed that should be of concern to parents who are shopping around for a school. If you read the initial post carefully you would have perhaps comprehended it.

I would appreciate it however, that you would have the intelligence not to make any personal attacks as you know nothing about me and what I posted was to highlight things which I've witnessed that should be of concern to parents who are shopping around for a school. If you read the initial post carefully you would have perhaps comprehended it.

Please do enlighten me as to where I have made a personal attack. I think maybe that is in your mind... ah, OK I will add a smily face next to the words "don't post on Thai Visa!" so it's more obvious to anyone with half a brain that is meant to be light hearted, since I myself am posting on Thai Visa and thus I would also be attacking myself. If you are referring to the comment "the right teachers - ones who enjoy their job, enjoy teaching".. that is a positive comment supporting the teachers that my children have had thus far, I would be happy to name them only I guess that would not be allowed. There is no attack on you, since as you point out, I do not know who you are. If you see an attack on you, well, sorry, it's in your head and perhaps reflects your own feelings and attitude. I have made no such personal attack, I have said that my kids have been happy with the teachers they have had at Kajonkiet combined with a joke about posting on Thai Visa. My comments as a parent will also be useful for people shopping around for a school.

I would appreciate it however, that you would have the intelligence not to make any personal attacks as you know nothing about me and what I posted was to highlight things which I've witnessed that should be of concern to parents who are shopping around for a school. If you read the initial post carefully you would have perhaps comprehended it.

Please do enlighten me as to where I have made a personal attack. I think maybe that is in your mind... ah, OK I will add a smily face next to the words "don't post on Thai Visa!" so it's more obvious to anyone with half a brain that is meant to be light hearted, since I myself am posting on Thai Visa and thus I would also be attacking myself. If you are referring to the comment "the right teachers - ones who enjoy their job, enjoy teaching".. that is a positive comment supporting the teachers that my children have had thus far, I would be happy to name them only I guess that would not be allowed. There is no attack on you, since as you point out, I do not know who you are. If you see an attack on you, well, sorry, it's in your head and perhaps reflects your own feelings and attitude. I have made no such personal attack, I have said that my kids have been happy with the teachers they have had at Kajonkiet combined with a joke about posting on Thai Visa. My comments as a parent will also be useful for people shopping around for a school.

The smily face would have helped decipher the joke :) I'm sure you would agree that a joke would be difficult to identify when the text was on a seemingly serious note. Of course I agree that your comments are just as significant and I respect your view. I'm sure not all experiences have been negative and there are many hard working, caring and wonderful people at KJ...I have never mentioned differently.