Nationwide Atm Dispute Process

Yep, I heard all the warnings about Aeon atm's and was always OK with them. Then it happened to me. 7000 baht on the 23rd July, machine told me to contact my bank, gave nowt. Did it twice the same day (in Bangkok), once in Silom Centre, once in Paragon. Neither gave cash, same notice from both. Silom billed, Paragon didn't. Successfully used the one in MBK next day.

So, it was a Nationwide debit card. I logged in the account online, sent the dispute email. Just got a reply that it has been forwarded to the relevant department and they can't give me a timescale.

So, I'm in Bangkok. Fully transient, I use my niece's address but don't know her so well. I hoped to go to Ayutthya for a couple of days, then settle in Korat or somewhere in Issan for a while.

Has anyone been through this with Nationwide? Will they send forms/letters and expect me to be there to read them? Will the next move be by email? Will I have to pester my niece to forward forms, or fax it. It would be great if I had some idea.

Thanks.

Call the call center in Swindon and explain the situation, its OK that you are here, they are helpful and will tell you exactly what you need to do rather than a mish mash of info you get on here.

Have been through this with Nationwide.

They credited me the disputed amount within a few days, while they investigated.

In my case the bank who's ATM I used automatically re credited the account about a week or so later.

Nationwide informed me the date on which they they would take back the money forward to me.

All very painless.

It took me 6 months to get my disputed 25,000 back from VISA. I used an AEON ATM at Big C and my bank said I had received the money whereas none was given as was shown on my remittance slip. AEON were fine but my bank didn't offer any compensation!

ED: It is Bulbank mind you, more corrupt than here :ph34r:

Edited by hunglikea

Have been through this with Nationwide.

They credited me the disputed amount within a few days, while they investigated.

In my case the bank who's ATM I used automatically re credited the account about a week or so later.

Nationwide informed me the date on which they they would take back the money forward to me.

All very painless.

Would confirm same... :blink:

One of wifees nieces used a N/W debit (red one-not flexi) in a Bangkok Bank ATM in Samut P/Samlong about a year ago and ..no dosh.....panic....hit the VOIP.....

I went down to out local Nationwide over "ere with the Banks location code(from internet),filled out a short form and something like 2 days later the money re credited to our account....good response.

Pity Nationwide has pzzed off all of their loyal travelling customers with their latest stupid decision regarding withdrawal charges. :(

OK, this is all very reassuring. The only people who didn't have a smooth time were non-Nationwide customers.

I'm going to call the overseas number on the back of the debit card. It sounds good, thanks for posting.

I had a similar problem with nationwide (aeon) and sent them a message about it through online banking and got the standard response e-mail you got. I had detailed everything for them as in time of failed withdrawal, amount, which Aeon branch, etc. I left it at that to give them time to look into it and after hearing nothing for over a month messaged them again.

I received a reply asking me for ALL the info I had given them originally to which I responded with a very nasty message back explaining that I had given them all the relevant details and to reimburse me and sort it out with visa.They promptly credited my account with the money owed and explained that they had 3 months to take it back if they found that it was me at fault.

Will never bother using a ATM again with my foreign card.

Have now opened a Thai bank account and withdraw largish amounts over the counter with my Nationwide card and then pay it straight into my Thai bank account and use a Thai atm card.

Ps will all be academic soon as Nationwide have moved over to the dark side and from November will be charging for foreign withdrawals as well the visa fee they pass on now.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/savings-and-banking/article.html?in_article_id=510578&in_page_id=7&ito=1565

To the OP, third time was the charm in getting some money from an Aeon ATM, but I'm surprised you tried a 2nd and 3d time after your initial problem. Maybe I don't understand, but is Aeon the only ATM machine your card will work on? Cheers.

I had the same problem nothing received from an Aeon ATM but funds (6000B) taken from my Nationwide account.

Sent them all the details they reimbursed the funds quite promptly while advising the refund could be reversed within 90 days? if the claim is found to be fraudulent.

I will not use Aeon anymore as their system has some serious 'glitches' and I would not like to be contacting Nationwide several times a year for 'refunds' then again due to NW new overseas charge policy it's time to ditch them.

To the OP, third time was the charm in getting some money from an Aeon ATM, but I'm surprised you tried a 2nd and 3d time after your initial problem. Maybe I don't understand, but is Aeon the only ATM machine your card will work on? Cheers.

Aeon.. :jap: ...is the only one that dosnt RIP YOU OFF for Bt150 like ALL of the other THAI BANKS whenever you use their ATMs.(in principal)

My 2 Favs are the Branches in Tesco (Shri nak) and Seacon Sq although just found out that there is one in the Airport Shopping Mall in CM and believe Car4..so... :huh:

Also if you use their branches you can hassle them if any probs.

Up to now however EAON has been as sweet as a nut. :)

N/W is now sadly in the running for the SOB bank/bs of the year... :angry:

I used it two or three times because I kept trying them until one paid, then didn't realise what had happened until the amounts showed up in my statements.

Since then I've taken 7000b over the counter inside the Ayuthhya bank in Banglampoo. NO 150 CHARGE!. (just checked my statement now).

Last exchange rate at Aeon = 48.7

Ayutthya over the counter rate = 50.5

(This is GBP btw). That translates to an extra fiver over the counter.

Yes, so in future I'll use Nationwide over the counter at Ayutthya. When the new charges come in November, I'll use a barclaycard to take largish amounts into a Thai bank account. It's not as cheap or easy as now but I think bearable.