Guinness Is Back

millwall_fan

Guinness has been back in Thailand for a couple of weeks and is available at The Red Lion, O'Malley's. The UN Irish Pub, The Olde Bell and The Pub. Prices range from 180 - 190 baht a pint

We at The Olde Bell decided this was a great opportunity to restart our Irish Night on a Monday!

We've got a large range of Irish music traditional and modern from 6pm - 10pm

Guinness costs 155 baht a pint

Irish Stew, Homemade Bread and a Pint of Guinness is 265Baht

Baileys and Jamesons are 80 baht a shot.

OK. we know we're a British Pub, but Northern Ireland's kinda British!! so we feel we're qualified!!

Edited by millwall_fan

Is this Pinky's on Chiang Moi rd near the moat? I'd no idea they'd got any draught beer. If they've got draught Dunkel i'll pay them a visit - O'Malley's does fine dunkel but its a longer walk from The Olde Bell than Pinky's is!

I love a drop of anything but lager!!!

Is this Pinky's on Chiang Moi rd near the moat? I'd no idea they'd got any draught beer. If they've got draught Dunkel i'll pay them a visit - O'Malley's does fine dunkel but its a longer walk from The Olde Bell than Pinky's is!

Yes, it's on Chiang Moi Rd not far from the corner corner - next to the Riva and across the street from Mike's Burger's. It's a small but friendly place.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I'm having trouble keeping up with my pubs, probably because of all the brain cells I've left behind. Where is the Old Bell and the The Pub?

The Olde Bell is on Loi Kroh Rd about 30m from the moat, next door to the Raming Lodge hotel and behind the Yellow exchange booth.

The Pub is on Huay Kaew Rd about 200m on the left hand side after the Amari Rincome junction as you go toward Doi Suthep

guinness and tetley's are 160b a pint during happy hour (4-6pm) at red lion. nice one.

155 baht all day on Mondays at The Olde Bell, Nicky!

if you get yourself an Olde Bell Gold Card (all residents are entitled to one) then its 140 baht a pint.

So there are 2 promotions that bring the price down to something manageable! I don't know if any of the other establishments have promotions but I feel sure someone will tell us if they do!

Sorry to have missed them off the list OP! I didn't know they'd started selling it. Does anyone know of other places?

They always sold it but they switched over to Erdinger Dark during the drought. Now they have both.

They were only selling tins Before unless somethings changed

Sorry to have missed them off the list OP! I didn't know they'd started selling it. Does anyone know of other places?

They always sold it but they switched over to Erdinger Dark during the drought. Now they have both.

They were only selling tins Before unless somethings changed

Yes, something changed - when Guinness went absent from Thailand they replaced the tap with Erdinger Dunkel. Now they have both on tap side-by-side..

But actually, I don't recall having ever seen Erdinger in cans anywhere, only in bottles and on tap. Maybe you're thinking of Paulaner.

Edited by OriginalPoster

After seeing your comment about the dunkel at O'Malley's my wife and I went here for the first time. First off, we really enjoyed the food and draft beer there and it's a place that we definitely will go back to. But the dunkel was pretty rank. Their Dunkel is not the Erdinger Dunkelweissen , it is a dark beer of a completely different style that is brewed by the German microbrewery restaurant behind the Carefour. They gave us both a sample of it containing about 2 ounces of it and from that it was a bit hard to figure out exactly what it was. We were pretty sure that it wasn't a Dunkelwiessen at all; most likely an extraordinarily poor imitation of a Munich dunkel lager. I Note that I'm not claiming that the Erdinger Dunkelweissen is a great beer, but at least it's competent mass market beer that can hold it's own against most beers available in Thailand save a few specialty imports the Rimping stocks. On the other hand, something like beer Lao Dark (or almost any other imported dark lager) completely smokes that microbrewed dunkel.

The trip sort of killed tow birds with one stone though, as now we know that we should go to O'Malley's again, and we know that we don't need to try out the German Microbrewery. Can't imaging what the people at O'Mally's were thinking when they brought that dunkel in though, one must wonder if perhaps it's purpose it to make the slightly more expensive Euro draft beers seem like a bargain in comparison.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I use the German Micro brewery alot and they do a lager there and its quality. 150thb for a liter stein, so the price isn't bad also. I agree with you on the the Dunkel though, its a bit rough. I wouldn't rule out going there for a pint though as they do have some good beers aswell and like I say the lager is really good.

I use the German Micro brewery alot and they do a lager there and its quality. 150thb for a liter stein, so the price isn't bad also. I agree with you on the the Dunkel though, its a bit rough. I wouldn't rule out going there for a pint though as they do have some good beers aswell and like I say the lager is really good.

I notice from something that I found on a google search that the German microbrewery has a Weizenbock. Is that good? Basically I love to try new beers & different styles of beers -- my dislike of the dunkel could be a one-off thing. That German place can't be more than a couple of miles from where I live so it certainly wouldn't be out of the question to go that for a pint or three to better size up what they're about.

Edited by OriginalPoster