Where To Go In August/September?

explorermark

Hi all,

Thinking of taking a trip with my wife end of august / early September, I know this is during the rainy season. Open mind on where to go, never been to Phuket but know that Spetember is probably wettest time there. Already been to Koh samui, Koh chang and Koh samet. Also thought about Chaing Rai, any thoughts on that?

Otherise willing to travel out of Thailand, Vietnam or Malaysia maybe any suggestions would be a big help,

thanks all

It will be wet wherever you go in Southeast Asia. Just go, enjoy your trip, and hope for the best. I personally like the rainy season. It's much cooler.

Just avoid low lying areas, they are prone to flooding.

Edited by BB1950

Yes, it will be wet all over. But Phuket and that side of Thailand gets a LOT of rain. We were there last August and it was wet. Hardly ever got to sit by the pool. A day here and there...but overall, quite rainy. I believe the other side of Thailand (Samui, etc) does not get quite as much rain at that time.

I've always found this site to be pretty good with info...

My link

Do not go to Malaysia early September this year, as it is the HARI RAYA SEASON (end of Ramadhan), and pretty much everyone and his dog is hitting the road.

during another season, LANGKAWI would be worth a try too, relatively easy to reach when flying into HAT YAI. Or, if you want to stay in Thailand, Koh Lanta. But Lanta is really VERY quiet during this time of the year and your wife may feel bored, as there is little "Sanook" on offer (this island has a Muslim majority anyway).

after you mentioned you have never been there before, I wouldn't mind to give PHUKET a try. there are absolutely FANTASTIC Hotel-deals to be had at the moment, and Phuket is more diverse than most people wanna believe or acknowledge. you can join the seedy nightlife areas of BANGLA ROAD, but as well linger at almost deserted and secluded beaches such as those North of Patong, nearer to the airport, if BANGLA ROAD is not your cup of tea. NOK and BANGKOK AIR have good fares at the moment as well, usually much better than overpriced AirAsia (which is only cheap when flying from Phuket to UDON at the moment).

Whole of Thailand especially Phuket receives lots of rain in the month of September. This makes for a wonderful view and the weather also cools down a lot during these rains. But along with that low lying area tends to flood and you also don't get to swin and snorkel in the sea.

I'm leaning towards Chiang Rai. I love rainy season, but I live in the desert for most of the year.

My relatives think I am crazy when I sit and watch the rain. I love it! But I have spent most of my life in Las Vegas and then in So Cal. For now, I think it is great! Plus, I don't have to water the garden...

Go to Bangladesh its good at this time of the year or even Pakistan really friendly locals who will treat you like a king - very cheap to eat there and as an added bonus if you make it back, you will probably have lost a lot of weight - its a win win situation