Thai Army Commander Sees Hope For Reconciliation In The South

webfact

Army commander sees hope for reconciliation in the South

By The Nation

Thanong Khanthong talks to Lt General Phichet Wisaijorn, commander of the Fourth Army Region, on the latest situation in the deep South.

How would you assess the problems of suspicion and violence in the deep South?

We have been pursuing a principle of understanding, getting into their heart and development" and introducing the philosophy of economic sufficiency to help improve the living conditions of people in the South. This has significantly improved the situation. We have authorities looking after all the villages with incidences of violence, which is a total of 217 out of 2,000. Before, there was no trust between the locals and the authorities, and the children would raise their feet to soldiers passing by. Now the children wave to us instead. I have told my personnel that if they don't get a wave from local people, they have flunked the test. We are maintaining an economic sufficiency centre to help educate local people on how to earn their own living.

Is the violence increasing or has the situation been improving?

Violent incidents and acts of sabotage have decreased in terms of statistics. But the degree of violence has increased. This means that they [the insurgents] are aiming for "quality" in their operations. They want the media to apply pressure on military personnel. However, before, shops and other public places closed before 7pm. Now they're still open until 10pm. Confidence has started to return. The Red Cross Fair, for example, attracted a large crowd.

If you look at Hat Yai, there are now more people going there for leisure or shopping. This helps to improve the social psychology. There are two million people in the three southern provinces [Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat], and only 8,000 are believed to have been involved in acts of violence. It is not possible to end the violence all at once. We have to rely on the justice system. We give the people liberty. We do not infringe on their identity. We also support their travel to the hajj. They elect their own leaders in the local administrations.

Are there enough military personnel to handle security in the South?

At the moment we have 60,000 in total. Some 30,000 are soldiers, and the other half work as tutors and officials in the villages. Given the fact that there are 2,000 villages we need to look after, the number of personnel isn't that much. If you divide 30,000 by 2,000, then we have 15 people in each village. Our daily operation is very tight. We have 2,600 routine operations on a daily basis. We need to provide protection to teachers and monks, secure the roads, and handle other security tasks.

Some people criticise us for having too many personnel down here, but the number is not high at all. My staff has to work hard. They work for 45 days straight before resting for 10 days. I would like to thank Army Chief General Anupong Paochinda for looking after the welfare of the military personnel. Their morale has been boosted. The task down here is very tense.

We have heard that the Fourth Army's dentistry programme to help southern Muslims has received a very positive response. How does it work?

We have doctors and dentists at the Sirindhorn Military Camp in Pattani. We have received a mobile van for dentistry, and are now providing dental service to the local people there. Most of them have poor dental health. Many people in their forties no longer have any teeth. They have difficulty chewing their food. We have provided false teeth for free. So far, more than 600 people have received false teeth through our service. This has changed their lives and improved their personality. They have more confidence.

We also operate static-electric chairs to help local people suffering from paralysis. We have 40 chairs, and can treat 500 people a day. It works. Those who have to be carried from cars to receive the treatment now can walk by themselves. Those with high-level diabetes have also been treated. High blood pressure rates have also improved. During the treatment, we serve coffee and cookies. We put out a box for donations, and ask for only five baht each time. If they have money, they can donate. If they don't, they don't need to.

You're probably the most popular general in the South. We've heard that people wait for you in the early morning, every day.

I wake up at five o'clock every morning for exercise. At 5.30, I make my way to the operations centre [at the Sirindhorn Military Camp] to review and oversee the operation for the day. At about 6.45, the villagers come to the camp. Many of them are waiting for new teeth or for eye-glasses. We hand out eye-glasses to them so that they can read or see more clearly at distance. So far we have given out 6,000 pairs of glasses. I tell them that they can now read the Koran more easily.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-03

Well there is no doubt about it. They are doing a great job. By they I mean all 60,000 of the people involved.

I know it is a sensitive subject but we see in other parts of the Moslem world where the religious fanatics step in and do not care what you do for the people.

All that matters is that the law such as they see it is not being practiced by every one. Are they able to make any inroads with that situation.

In the mean time congratulations to them for the progress they have made.

Edited by jayjay0

Well right now, Thailand is dam_n lucky that the Muslim fanatics have not stepped in. The current violence is still a domestic issue, but Islam does not recognize national borders, and all Muslims should come and help their brothers when called upon. We are very, very lucky that the Muslims in these 3 provinces have not yet taken that action with their brothers overseas.

Someone also needs to remind the Thais of real history. This region was the rich and independant state of Pattani, and that independance was taken from the local population in a deal that they were not party to. It is no surprise that this problem and violence continues to this present day.

Perhaps Thailand should make real efforts to understand the local culture, such as requiring all Thai soldiers in that region to learn and speak Yawi.

Don't misunderstand me here. I totally condemn violence on all sides. But Thailand is dealing with a hot cake that could get much hotter.

Simon