Thai Intelligence Reports Indicate Possible Sabotage In August

webfact

Suthep: Intelligence reports indicate possible sabotage in August

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban conceded on Wednesday that intelligence reports indicated possible sabotage in August and that he has instructed the country's intelligence services to work together to prevent violence.

Speaking as in his capacity as director of the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), the deputy prime minister commented after reports from intelligence agencies over possible violence aiming at claiming lives later this month.

The warning came in the wake of recent city bombings. One person was killed while another ten were injured in a bombing at a bus stop outside now-closed Big C department store on Ratchadamri Road July 25, the first major violence in the Thai capital after the anti-government Red Shirt movement ended their six-week long rally at Ratchaprasong intersection on May 19.

Days later, a garbage scavenger was critically wounded in an explosion near King Power duty-free shopping centre on Rangnam Road. He remains unconscious and in critical condition.

Metropolitan Police Division 1 commander Pol Maj-Gen.Wichai Sangprapai said on Wednesday police have detained a 20-year-old man, suspected of placing the bomb near the duty-free shopping centre.

The suspect is said to have evaded police at a check point during the anti-government Red Shirt protest two months ago and he left a bag containing an explosive device, the same kind as the grenade used in the Rangnam Road incident. He denied the accusation but implicated a so-called mastermind for whom police are seeking court approval for an arrest warrant.

As the two bombings occurred while Bangkok was still under state of emergency, police have coordinated with related agencies to adjust security measures, particularly regarding plastic rubbish bags at risk-prone locations.

Mr Suthep stated the intelligence agencies have to alert the public when their reports found possible sabotage, but he has asked concerned officials to verify and clarify the information so that it will not panic the public.

If the report over possible violence has a basis in fact ground, it is good to warn the public beforehand so that they will help monitor the situation and inform the authorities if they see any irregularity or unusual moves. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-04

Wow. It is so reassuring that Thai Intelligence can predict so accurately, all based on such flimsy evidence such as recent bombings. and they will make sure that the plastic rubbish bags will be tidied up (although only in important places). At least the public will now understand clearly why the army prefers the state of emergency regulations over the normal ones. And i specially liked the bit about evading a police checkpoint. Vivid imagery. Priceless announcement and reporting.

Edited by bangon04

This mornings BKK Post quotes Suthep as warning about the possibility of car bombs in Central Bangkok "in early August".....in another article a dozen or so beaches have been downgraded because of "waste water" contamination (meaning household rubbish - industrial waste - and sewerage) I have 6 family members arriving tomorrow from New Zealand..spending 3 days in "Central Bangkok" at a prebooked hotel...then flying to the "waste water" capital of Thailand namely Phuket for 8 days....where they will now, apart from avoiding the scams and ripoffs, may have to also avoid rubbish and turds when swimming....

If it wasnt for the fact that they are almost on their way here......I definitely would have stopped them coming and sent them elsewhere.

So here we have 6 tourists arriving tomorrow already "at personal risk" on their very first visit to the LOB (land of bullshit)

This mornings BKK Post quotes Suthep as warning about the possibility of car bombs in Central Bangkok "in early August".....in another article a dozen or so beaches have been downgraded because of "waste water" contamination (meaning household rubbish - industrial waste - and sewerage) I have 6 family members arriving tomorrow from New Zealand..spending 3 days in "Central Bangkok" at a prebooked hotel...then flying to the "waste water" capital of Thailand namely Phuket for 8 days....where they will now, apart from avoiding the scams and ripoffs, may have to also avoid rubbish and turds when swimming....

If it wasnt for the fact that they are almost on their way here......I definitely would have stopped them coming and sent them elsewhere.

So here we have 6 tourists arriving tomorrow already "at personal risk" on their very first visit to the LOB (land of bullshit)

dont forget dengue fever type illnesses

Bomb attacks possible this month, CRES warns

By The Nation

Acts of sabotage and violence - such as possible car-bombs - are expected this month, the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation warned yesterday.

Constant military and police patrols are being conducted at 26 high-risk locations, while all trash bins will be replaced with transparent ones to minimise the chance of bombs being hidden in them, CRES deputy spokesman Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo said.

Deputy secretary to the PM, Panitan Wattanayakorn, warned of possible random attacks such as car bombs and killings.

"Indiscriminate bomb attacks will probably be carried out in communities, and it could be difficult to prevent or solve the cases," he said.

The CRES had concluded that the most recent grenade blasts were politically motivated and served as an indicator that more explosions could take place this month.

As well as patrols, ordnance teams would be sent to the 26 high-risk sites, which are mostly political landmarks and key state offices.

Bins near convenience stores, commercial banks, shopping malls and gas stations would be replaced and garbage collected more often.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, citing intelligence tip-offs, said car bombs would possibly be placed in business areas such as Silom and Chinatown this month.

Suthep said he fully supported CRES' plan to distribute CDs with facts about the red-shirt protests even though opposition Pheu Thai Party was against it.

He said it was important to distribute the CDs so facts weren't distorted and that the emergency decree would continue in certain areas.

Suthep declined to comment on ex-PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's denial that he was behind two recent blasts. "It will only result in a quarrel," he explained.

Meanwhile, the Department of Special Investigation has taken extra security measures after death threats were made against DSI agents and director-general Tharit Phengdit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-04

yesterdays news was the rising tourist numbers , this country just keeps flip flopping its way with no real end to the problems in sight.Where will we be in a year from here?

millions of tourist arriving to watch the on street fire works!

I hope they get their act together before we reach the tilting point.

Me thinks this statement was issued just so that they can keep emergency rule in place

and keep on trying to gather more infomation. They are using a tactic GWB used to get

relected ... keep them scared and make it seem you are doing work to help keep the

city / country safe ... only time will tell

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Although this may be of no confort to you depending on your opinion of the U.S intelligence collection efficency you should know that the Thai intelligence and the U.S intelligence routinely share information about Thailand and Thai security.

2. Most "inteligence advisories" are of the warning not alert types. A warning is just used to provide the local security agencies to be alert about te possibility of terrorism. An "Alert advisory" provides specific information. I suspect this is just a warning not an alert...and as I said is just to put the local security on their toes.

3. Question: if you are so worried...then whay are you still in Bangkok?

Bottom line: Relax, most dvisories are just in the nature of warnings to wake the local security up. 90 perecent of them come to nothing. You and your friends/relatives are in no more danger than usual. (If you wonder...why do they bother?...just think of the sreams of outrage if the information was known, never released...and then something did happen)

:o

Quote/

Suthep declined to comment on ex-PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's denial that he was behind two recent blasts. "It will only result in a quarrel," he explained.

Unquote/

Oh well. That would never do,. would it?  Times have changed. Not that very long ago multimillion baht law suits would have been flying around.  

Me thinks this statement was issued just so that they can keep emergency rule in place

and keep on trying to gather more infomation. They are using a tactic GWB used to get

relected ... keep them scared and make it seem you are doing work to help keep the

I share the same view. IMHO, I even believe that the people who order the SOE are the one that plant the bomb, to keep the SOE.

I share the same view. IMHO, I even believe that the people who order the SOE are the one that plant the bomb, to keep the SOE.

You could be correct, for sure. Especially considering the extra money the army folks are getting. My wife's uncle is getting like 400-500B per day extra for his presence in Bangkok. Add it up for all involved and it is big money...some of which I am sure ends up in the generals pockets....

But, the reds are plain crazy. So many bombs have been attributed to them that it is entirely possible they just want to keep the craziness going...and some of these could be rogue folks bent on bombings...kinda like how the protest got out of control. The reds are not just one, organized group. There are many factions...some more radical than the others.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out....

Ok, tourists are a concern, but will this article be reprinted in Western Broadsheets? Given the source (CRES) and the newspaper (The Nation) this is likely nothing more than the cover story/justification for keeping State Of Emergency regs in place. plus create a little anxiety about those dark forces that PM Abhisit and the Dems are protecting the country from.

All and All its to be expected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Although this may be of no confort to you depending on your opinion of the U.S intelligence collection efficency you should know that the Thai intelligence and the U.S intelligence routinely share information about Thailand and Thai security.

2. Most "inteligence advisories" are of the warning not alert types. A warning is just used to provide the local security agencies to be alert about te possibility of terrorism. An "Alert advisory" provides specific information. I suspect this is just a warning not an alert...and as I said is just to put the local security on their toes.

3. Question: if you are so worried...then whay are you still in Bangkok?

Bottom line: Relax, most dvisories are just in the nature of warnings to wake the local security up. 90 perecent of them come to nothing. You and your friends/relatives are in no more danger than usual. (If you wonder...why do they bother?...just think of the sreams of outrage if the information was known, never released...and then something did happen)

:o

Not anymore. Information sharing is restricted to trusted allies. IMO The US is only giving Thailand limited information and it is in respect to Islamic terrorists. Even information on drug and human trafficers is rationed because one might as well be informing these people ahead of time once Thai authroities are advised. .

The tipoff for trouble will be if certain embassies start evacuating their staff and family members. Keep an eye on the Italian, German, and French embassy staff. If families have left orthere is personnel reduction, then something is up.

On the macabre positive side, more people will die in road crashes between now and the date, but no one will say boo to that.

tumblr_l6oqv98Ywu1qd0zmoo1_400.jpg

Wow, ooo weee doggies, so professionally done,

you might think a professional ad man was trying to

create irony, doubt, fear and hatred.

If I remember correctly Thaksin idolized Bush the lesser,

and brown nosed his and his Dad's power clique unbearably.

So who dodged which metaphorical bullet, and when?

Edited by animatic

animatic posted

You must not have been in Thailand the week after 9/11 then.

animatic posted

You must not have been in Thailand the week after 9/11 then.

And this comment is apropos of what?

In the immediate aftermath of the WTC attack, Thaksin nearly tripped over himself rushing to 2nd the suggestion made by The People’s Republic of China, that the U.N. should decide who attacked the WTC and also dispense justice. The US Ambassador, Bush and most everyone ignored these rubes (Thaksin and yes members of the Dems) as they rushed to take advantage of a tragic event and score points with their latest Big Power sugar daddy, but they were not forgotten.

The US used Thailand as a site, and transfer point in its “rendition” activities, and some would say this means that Thailand was aiding the US. In fact by all accounts Bush, Cheney and crew were quite PO’d with Thailand and Thaksin. However they understood all too well what lever could be employed to make use of Thailand in its post 9/11 military campaigns; MONEY. This is no joke and it’s been footnoted in at least one book I have read about Bush-9/11 Iraq etc. Payments made both to Thaksin and military, which is why you never have read about it in certain newspapers that TV seems to cull articles from. I would not be surprised if they also made donations to the current party in power now.

If Thaksin had actually been a player, he would have immediately sent messages to the US expressing his sympathy and outrage at 9/11 and waited for a decent interval, say a week, :D , before seconding the Chinese UN statement. He could have scored points with both countries. I’m sure he and his staff thought they were oh so smart and clever. All he did was show that he could be played and Bush Cheney did just that. I suspect but have no way of knowing, Obama’s not visiting Thailand on that recent trip had something to do with that event, almost ten years old now. While short term memory is endemic in Thailand, it is most certainly not in DC.

I suspect but have no way of knowing, Obama’s not visiting Thailand on that recent trip had something to do with that event, almost ten years old now.

I rather suspect that it had something to do with Thailand's insignificance in the world order. :)

Oh that.

Thaksin tried to suck up big time to The Carlyle Group, Bush the elder's power player group,

and was rebuffed as not making the grade on several levels, hence his decision to

align more with China. He is nothing if not vengeful at those that don't treat him like

the god he imagines he is.

IMHO this is similar to the night-soil of a well-fed male oxen.

IMHO this is similar to the night-soil of a well-fed male oxen.

But with less nutritional value.

No matter how many servings they try and shove down our throats.