Anti-Surge Devices For Computers, Modems & Other Electrical Devices

newbegin4

I'm starting to accumulate quite a bit of expensive electrical hardware and am increasingly worried about lightning strikes. I've got a computer (and a second on the way for a planned home office network), ADSL modems, telephone, fax machine, and other very expensitve network gear that I want to protect.

Are these items toast no matter what surge protection device is used (in the event of a direct hit)?

I don't want to trust buying an anti-surge device from the local store because I won't know what I'm buying and whether it would be good quality or a worthless imitation.

I hope that someone can help, with available make, model and source recommendations, thanks!

Direct hits are a problem... What you can do it setting a level of protection but you will never ever be completely safe.

In my own situation the machinery is not that important. The important things are the data, the result of your work and the data you take care of for your customers.

Following that principle a good backup is the most important component in the system. You can always buy new hardware in case it is needed. I always keep a spare ADSL router on the shelf in case, and I always have separate backups in three or more locations.

With this is mind the requirements for the surge protection should be fairy simple. Any decent branded UPS should keep your protection up to a level where the economical consequences of surges are acceptable.

Martin

The common multi-plug extension cords one sees in every store are of very dubious value for surge protection. The uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) have considerably more complex circuitry as well as a battery for use during short blackouts. The Phuket PC club has had many discussions on these and the general consensus of the members (and the very strong recommendations of some of the more expert ones) is that the only UPS really worth buying in the LOS is the APC (American Power Conversion). These are available in most computer shops.

The common multi-plug extension cords one sees in every store are of very dubious value for surge protection. The uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) have considerably more complex circuitry as well as a battery for use during short blackouts. The Phuket PC club has had many discussions on these and the general consensus of the members (and the very strong recommendations of some of the more expert ones) is that the only UPS really worth buying in the LOS is the APC (American Power Conversion). These are available in most computer shops.

Unfortunately, I already purchased a UPS here in Thailand many months ago (not an APC brand). I'm thinking about the anti-surge power strips (multi-plug electrical extension outlets) as a go-between the wall electrical outlet and the UPS. Is there a recommendation about brands of anti-surge power strips? It sounds as if there are no brands available in Thailand that are any good as far as power strips are concerned. It seems that I will need to import an anti-surge power strip. Any brand recommendations of anti-surge power strips thas I can import from the U.S. (or other country)?

A surge protector requires a good earth connection to work properly. Unfortunately most houses, apartments, and condos in Thailand, don't have a proper earth connection. If they do, it's usually dubious. Also some surge protectors sold in Thailand don't have an earth connection either (even though they have three pins).

Most of the multi-outlet strips sold in Thailand do not have surge protectors nor do they have earth connections. You need a competent electrician (be aware most electricians in Thailand are not competent) to check it out.

As an alternative, I have seen some multi-outlet surge protector strips sold in Thailand that have two lights on the strip (one light for power and the other light, lights when the earth connection is proper). These type of surge protection strips are sold in the upper class home improvement stores (like Home Pro and Home Works). If both lights are lit, you can be fairly sure the strip has a good earth connection and it may provide some protection. If not, you need a qualified electrician to resolve the problem.

Again, even with a surge protector or UPS, you are not guaranteed that you will be protected against a lightning strike. It just provides a little more protection for surges.

In developed countries there are devices that are installed at the meter or installed in the distribution panel. They provide some more protection. I haven't seen them sold in Thailand, nor have I seen an electrician who would know how to install them.

Nothing will protect you 100% against a direct hit. The best protection is to unplug the devices when they not in use and when there is an electrical storm present. Just turning the switch off does not guarantee the device is disconnected, especially with newer electronic devices.

Edited by BB1950

A surge protector requires a good earth connection to work properly. Unfortunately most houses, apartments, and condos in Thailand, don't have a proper earth connection. If they do, it's usually dubious. Also some surge protectors sold in Thailand don't have an earth connection either (even though they have three pins).

Most of the multi-outlet strips sold in Thailand do not have surge protectors nor do they have earth connections. You need a competent electrician (be aware most electricians in Thailand are not competent) to check it out.

As an alternative, I have seen some multi-outlet surge protector strips sold in Thailand that have two lights on the strip (one light for power and the other light, lights when the earth connection is proper). These type of surge protection strips are sold in the upper class home improvement stores (like Home Pro and Home Works). If both lights are lit, you can be fairly sure the strip has a good earth connection and it may provide some protection. If not, you need a qualified electrician to resolve the problem.

Again, even with a surge protector or UPS, you are not guaranteed that you will be protected against a lightning strike. It just provides a little more protection for surges.

In developed countries there are devices that are installed at the meter or installed in the distribution panel. They provide some more protection. I haven't seen them sold in Thailand, nor have I seen an electrician who would know how to install them.

Nothing will protect you 100% against a direct hit. The best protection is to unplug the devices when they not in use and when there is an electrical storm present. Just turning the switch off does not guarantee the device is disconnected, especially with newer electronic devices.

I also rather skeptical about the grounding of the older Thai-style house I'm in now. I plan on going to Home Pro this weekend to see if I can find a long metal rod so that I can put in my own ground. Does it have to be copper, or will any metal rod do?

Copper ground spikes are available in HomePro but you need someone to install them proper, ie. long masonry bit, hammer-drill, etc.. It sounds like you may be in a house rather than a condo so you may need to set several ground spikes around the premises with priority on outlets where the expensive home electronics are located and MORE IMPORTANTLY where you may have hot water heaters or heated shower units.

There's only a couple of brands of outlet strip to buy in LOS, either Wanpro or Belkin. Everything else is sh!te. I have seen Wanpro stuff at HomePro and Carrefour carries the Belkin gear.

Copper ground spikes are available in HomePro but you need someone to install them proper, ie. long masonry bit, hammer-drill, etc.. It sounds like you may be in a house rather than a condo so you may need to set several ground spikes around the premises with priority on outlets where the expensive home electronics are located and MORE IMPORTANTLY where you may have hot water heaters or heated shower units.

There's only a couple of brands of outlet strip to buy in LOS, either Wanpro or Belkin. Everything else is sh!te. I have seen Wanpro stuff at HomePro and Carrefour carries the Belkin gear.

Thanks NanLaew for the information. I'm going to HomePro tomorrow for the copper pipe. I don't need the masonry bit, hammer-drill etc. as the house is wooden, not masonry. Hopefully the copper pipe will pound down into the ground fairly easily (unless I encounter buried debries) as the earth is quite wet now. I'll take a look for the Wanpro and Belking outlet strips.

Thanks NanLaew for the information. I'm going to HomePro tomorrow for the copper pipe. I don't need the masonry bit, hammer-drill etc. as the house is wooden, not masonry. Hopefully the copper pipe will pound down into the ground fairly easily (unless I encounter buried debries) as the earth is quite wet now. I'll take a look for the Wanpro and Belking outlet strips.

I think he said 'spikes' not 'pipes'. Ground spikes are solid and are about 2 meters long. One end is pointed to make driving into the ground easier.

Edited by BB1950

I think he said 'spikes' not 'pipes'. Ground spikes are solid and are about 2 meters long. One end is pointed to make driving into the ground easier.

I knew what he meant, but just used a different term to describe the same concept.