Static Ip Address

Nouf

Hi

I got asked via a friend to check out his connections as he plays on US servers for games etc, and i noticed that he has a dynamic IP address (it can be checked using whatismyipaddress.com)

I have tried manually putting in a IP address using the ipconfig info from the CMD area, into the network settings- change adaptor settings, via the control panel but it still is showing thats it is a Dynamic address

He is using his connection via a proxy server in his condo block, so other than changing his connection and actually buying a new service

Is there something i have missed that can be done, i have even suggested using a service like DynDNS and using an account , but if the IP address are changing then thats when he gets booted off the servers, i have monitored the changes in the IP address, so virtually sure this is his problem

If he needs to get a new line, Do services from TOT or True ADSL packages come with a Static IP address or does he need to stipulate than he needs a static IP address and maybe pay more for it

If possible, anyone reading this, could you please click on www.whatismyipaddress.com and click the additional IP details and if you are using a ADSL service let me know what package it is, if you have a static address

Thank you for your time

The IP address should only change when the router is disconnected for a period of time and the current IP is released. Your IP should not be released whilst you are still connected, so don't think the problem being booted from game servers is a change in IP.

I've never come across a situation where you need a static IP to play online games.

Why does he have to go through a proxy server in his building? Why have they set it up like that, as opposed to a switch and router?

3BB offers a package that comes with a static IP for 2900 baht per month. TOT might offer a package for SMEs that includes a static IP. I've had bad luck with TOT tho. Static IPs don't come cheap nowadays.

I used to have static IP's for my test servers at home (rather than payoing for hosts whilst building/testing) in the UK. I can see no reason other than home hosting or VPN perhaps to have static IPs. In fact here I find that I am penalised speed wise (at least it seems so) for being connected too long and a router reboot often gives another IP that runs bak at full snail speed.

The IP address should only change when the router is disconnected for a period of time and the current IP is released. Your IP should not be released whilst you are still connected, so don't think the problem being booted from game servers is a change in IP.

I've never come across a situation where you need a static IP to play on line games.

Why does he have to go through a proxy server in his building? Why have they set it up like that, as opposed to a switch and router?

He pays for an Internet connection via the condo block, i have seen the setup, and confirmed its via a proxy service, i have monitored the changes in his IP address, and as soon as it changes he gets booted off

Some Java chat rooms have the same issue, where users that have a dynamic address, loose connection, its common in gaming to have a static IP address as you loose connections to servers

I think his best choice is to get a new package and a line, only he is trying now to find out the local ADSL companies that can supply a decent line

He lives in the Onnut area of Bangkok if anyone has any suggestionss of service providers that are decent and with a static IP address

Thanks

Edited by Nouf

I had a Static IP from ToT last year, but - and I just honestly can't remember with 100% accuracy - but I'm pretty sure it was only possible with their Leased Line [which was terrible, and I seem to remember Static IP not possible when I got rid of the Leased Line and just accepted their ADSL - which was also terrible].

This year, I'm on their 8mb/512k plan and it *was* terrible - but now, I mean it's not great, but I just can't complain. It's glorious compared to the tilt of last year - ToT are getting a LOT better I think, I even spoke to a technician on a rare outage recently who spoke perfect English [unthinkable scenario last year].

I'm going to give away my retardation here, but I just assumed I had Dynamic IP this year with ToT, however:

totq.jpg

Am I retarded to be confused? Dynamic IP on Static Assignment? lolz - I can't be bothered researching it at the moment.

But I know you can get a Static IP pretty easily as my friend has this:

vpnz.jpg

Not 100% on what the rules are regarding discussion of VPNs on TV forum - I think if Static it's fine, but either way, I wouldn't want my friend to get into trouble so will it at that....

I've never come across a situation where you need a static IP to play online games.

Most Thai ISP's accomplish a modem resync every 24 hours...it lasts a only about 3-5 seconds...but during that time a new dynamic IP is issued. For example, if you check your modem log and see a resync occurred at 2:30am, and assuming their is no power outage, modem reset, etc., the resync will occur again 24 hours later at 2:30am the next day. But like most folks who may experience a brief power outage (1 or 2 seconds) frequently, then the 24 hour resync clock starts from that point. If you reset your modem at 10am in the morning then the 24 hour clock starts from that point. Now this resync has never affected my browsing, downloads, VOIP, etc., but I expect it could kick some folks off whatever server they are communicating/playing with.

JI-NET offers a static IP package under their BizConnext Plan via TOT phone line. See their web site at http://www.ji-net.com/home/ The web site only shows their 2Mb Bizconnext plan but they have 3Mb and 4Mb BizConnext plans also.

Most Thai ISP's accomplish a modem resync every 24 hours...it lasts a only about 3-5 seconds...but during that time a new dynamic IP is issued. For example, if you check your modem log and see a resync occurred at 2:30am, and assuming their is no power outage, modem reset, etc., the resync will occur again 24 hours later at 2:30am the next day. But like most folks who may experience a brief power outage (1 or 2 seconds) frequently, then the 24 hour resync clock starts from that point. If you reset your modem at 10am in the morning then the 24 hour clock starts from that point. Now this resync has never affected my browsing, downloads, VOIP, etc., but I expect it could kick some folks off whatever server they are communicating/playing with.

JI-NET offers a static IP package under their BizConnext Plan via TOT phone line. See their web site at http://www.ji-net.com/home/ The web site only shows their 2Mb Bizconnext plan but they have 3Mb and 4Mb BizConnext plans also.

Thanks for that, interesting reading.

Do you know why Thai ISPs insist on forcing you to renew your IP? Strange practice, given it increases their server load.

Back in UK I've been able to hold a dynamic IP until the router was disconnected for considerable time. Even a quick reboot would not release the IP.

I'll go check my logs now.

Something to do with server load which ultimately affects their in-country/international bandwidth capability/requirements...which also probably cost them money. Guess they still want to confirm the modem is hooked up/turned on/in use.

On my TOT internet package, they resync every 24 hours, rain or shine. Just looked at my modem log...last Link Down was a 12:37:58 with Link Up at 12:38:01 (3 seconds). This Link Up and Link Down is what I'm calling a resync and it will occur again tomorrow at around 12:38:01 assuming my connection don't go down for another reason like a brief power outage which will reset the LinkUp/LinkDown time.

Edited by Pib

In CM, since switching to them in March, I use 3BB's static IP service running at 5 mbps/1mbps; costs THB 3,103 monthly. My IP never changes and I check it often. Bandwidth is rarely affected and bears out the reason I decided to buy the more expensive package. So far, it has proven to be head and shoulders better than my former carrier, Jasmine. To be fair though, I suspect it was not Jasmine's fault as much as problems occurring with TTT's decision to drop ADSL servicing for our area (Mae Rim). 3BB runs its own cable to your home, where I live anyway, and you no longer need to bring in the ADSL signal over your phone line. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far it's been a no-brainer for us. Expensive yes, but I'm not paying for it right now and once I retire or otherwise lose my benefactor, I may have to reconsider my options.

Thanks for the replies, they have been most helpful, i think that 3BB service might be the job, although pricey, but i guess you only get what you pay for in this country, yeah right if only

With the lack of competition, its no wonder they are driving others that need a solid service to more expensive package lines, for that sort of money i would want gold plated lines with a back rub thrown in for free, i used to cringe at paying half that before i lived here

I have checked my service and its never what i was sold, i guess its a result just to get an internet connection that actually works regardless of the price. if you really need it then you have to pay top $$$

IPs change because the providers do not want consumers running servers on the connection lol

Could be...that would motivate/force a person to pay extra for a static IP.

:lol: Seems we like to bash ISPs...

IP addresses are assigned dynamically because the ISP does not need to reserve and pay for a total number of IP addresses equal to the total number of subscribers it has. This is due to the fact that not all its subscribers will be online at any one time.

Keep in mind your location and phone company provider are going to be the defining factors in what ISPs can/will provide ADSL service. For example, if you live in an area with TOT lines, then you may only be able to get TOT and/or its ISP concessionaires....3BB or another ISP may not be willing to / cannot run you a line. Internet choices in Thailand usually come down to location, location, location and what phone company rules your location/area....if you are in the right location/building/residence you can get fairly cheap and decent internet...if in the wrong location, then you can experience a lot of frustration due to bad ADSL service and high ADSL prices. Location, location, location.

IPs change because the providers do not want consumers running servers on the connection lol

Most Thai ISPs already stop port forwarding at source, so you would not be able to run a server anyway.

Besides, you need a static IP to be able to run SSL with valid certificates anyway.

Edited by bangkockney

Most Thai ISPs already stop port forwarding at source, so you would not be able to run a server anyway.

Never seen any problems with that so far.... What ISPs are doing this?

Besides... your router is the place for doing port forwarding and your ISP doesn't have any power there....

Edited by siamect

Besides... your router is the place for doing port forwarding and your ISP doesn't have any power there....

They can stop you from opening any ports by blocking the ports on their own router.

And 3BB here. Do your ports show open with Shields Up?

Edited by bangkockney

They can stop you from opening any ports by blocking the ports on their own router.

What ports do you have openen and what ports are blocked for you?

"Shields up"... is detecting the ports that I have forwarded in my router... in my case 22 and 80.

Martin

Edited by siamect

lol.. So Thai ISP's block http/https ports to stop people running servers? :whistling:

lol.. So Thai ISP's block http/https ports to stop people running servers? :whistling:

I think it is a misunderstanding... not even 3BB would do such an insane thing.

I have set up private webservers for a few people with different ISPs and I have never seen any blockings at all. Not in Thailand at least.

I have seen stupid blockings in the other direction in Sweden where I was just a few days ago...

They try to force you to use the SMTP owned by ISP so they block 25 unless it goes to that particular server!

Luckily the SMTP I use is listening to some other ports as well...

Martin

Edited by siamect