Foreinger Safety Issues In Phnom Penh

Robroy

In addition to Phnom Penh's frequent bag-snatchings, armed robberies and road accidents...

http://wikitravel.org/en/Phnom_Penh

...foreigners now have to worry about the recent wave of brick attacks (sic.)

Groups of Khmer men have recently taken to throwing bricks at foreigners' heads from moving SUVs along the Riverside area - the main tourist drag.

Several serious injuries have been reported amongst the eight attacks documented so far this year. (The real toll is probably higher than eight.)

No motive is known, and the incidents are unprovoked.

The unfolding stories have been documented in the Phnom Penh Post in recent weeks.

Police deny the attacks are taking place.

• Like 1

Worrying situation as I frequently travel to Cambodia but has never seen or heard about such kind of incident.

Perhaps Police is keeping mute to save their head & these goons generally have well connections at Police and Political level.

I remember while passing through immigration at Phnom Penh Airport, the lady officer smilingly & openly (but quietly) asked me for 5$ while stamping my passport for no reason....it was first time for me where an officer would ask for money.

It is not all that bad. This happened before and the police is keeping quiet because they have a bloody good idea who is responsible: some spoiled, rich, "VIP" kid that is having a lark, albeit a dangerous one.

One the whole, PP has improved a lot and I feel just as safe as in BKK (whatever that means <_< ). At least no bombs and week-long demonstrations.

In over 5 years living in Phnom Penh , I can honestly say I have never had a safety problem , or even anything that could be misinterpreted as such , I am by nature , a friendly , helpfull person , I can tell of a down and out foriegner who slept outside of a store for months , of Canadians who vacationed here and related it was the friendliest , safest country they had visited in Asia , but then , I would be castigated by the nay-sayers who visit all the darkest alley ways for wierd night-life , presumption of course .

The 'Brick throwing' as reported on the Khymer forum , sheds a different light on the subject , the 'Bricks' are small stones fired from slingshots , not intended for visitors as such , but at persons who have peed off the rich kids driving the family mercedes . like many rich kids , they seem to get so fired up over little in thier daily boredom .

Armed robberies ? Have not read too much about those , but if you are a visitor what do you have worth steeling ? So few visitors or expats are caught up in these isolated incidents it is by far amongst the local inhabitants .

its sad to hear about the brick throwing, but like other people have said its usually the kids of officials that cause these problems, like the problems of old in the 'heart' where the same kind of people got hold of their parents guns. i've been going to PP since 1999 and can honestly say i've never had a problem except the odd moto driver wanting a few dollers more; believe me when i say PP was alot different in 99, its felt alot more uneasy than today and one can now get an almost safe feeling when walking the streets, seeing travellers from all over the world and of all ages, cambodia has really opened up and there great people really deserve it. the problems are still there but just a little deeper underground, so still be carefull.

if you need any info i'd be happy to help.

cheers

Just to clarify some factual issues;

The bricks thrown are (in the words of the victims, quoted in The Phnom Penh Post) "half-house-bricks".

I have not seen any reports of bricks being thrown at Khmers. Can you cite a reference please?

The attacks are described (by victims & witnesses) as being un-forewarned and unprovoked, rather than result of something that has "peed off" someone. Typically, the victim is standing at an ATM or exiting a restaurant.

I have no personal knowledge, but according to one Ex-Pat Advisory poster (EPA is a kind of Cambodian equivalent to Thaivisa), the "stones from slingshots" were part of a wave of earlier attacks (last year, from memory): they are not the current problem.

Armed robbery is a regular feature of life in Phnom Penh. This week there are numerous firsthand reports of armed robbery, knife attacks and hold-ups, by victims and witnesses, on the Ex-Pat Advisory forums. Such reports are also a daily event in the Phnom Penh newspapers.

Personally I have been close to a shoot-out on Riverside (the main tourist drag) at 7pm on a Sunday evening, and have seen two drunk Khmers aiming guns at each other's heads on the Riverside footpath, at 10am on a weekday. When I was in a hospital lobby last year, a man was admitted because a robber's bullet had just gone through his arm. (The gun had discharged accidentally, and the bullet had gone on to kill the robber's accomplice.) I've been woken by gunshots. I've lived in Phnom Penh for three years.

Edited by Robroy

The bricks thrown are (in the words of the victims, quoted in The Phnom Penh Post) "half-house-bricks".

I have not seen any reports of bricks being thrown at Khmers. Can you cite a reference please?

The attacks are described (by victims & witnesses) as being un-forewarned and unprovoked, rather than result of something that has "peed off" someone. Typically, the victim is standing at an ATM or exiting a restaurant.

I have no personal knowledge, but according to one Ex-Pat Advisory poster (EPA is a kind of Cambodian equivalent to Thaivisa), the "stones from slingshots" were part of a wave of earlier attacks (last year, from memory): they are not the current problem.

Armed robbery is a regular feature of life in Phnom Penh. This week there are numerous firsthand reports of armed robbery, knife attacks and hold-ups, by victims and witnesses, on the Ex-Pat Advisory forums. Such reports are also a daily event in the Phnom Penh newspapers.

Personally I have been close to a shoot-out on Riverside (the main tourist drag) at 7pm on a Sunday evening, and have seen two drunk Khmers aiming guns at each other's heads on the Riverside footpath, at 10am on a weekday. When I was in a hospital lobby last year, a man was admitted because a robber's bullet had just gone through his arm. (The gun had discharged accidentally, and the bullet had gone on to kill the robber's accomplice.) I've been woken by gunshots. I've lived in Phnom Penh for three years.

Yes , the EPA is a kind of mirror image of TV , got away from that , you seem to be a solitary voice in several posts that have not experienced what you post as more or less daily occurences , most of those have related personal experiences such as my own , Cambodians are about the most laid back , non violent people I have lived amongst in regard to visitors to thier interesting country , I chatted to some of the Barang I know from various countries , they have the same feeling as the majority so far on this thread , Cambodia is safe to visit and reside in .

Should you be relating what Khymer do amongst themselves , yes , they are prone to violence amongst themselves , but not a thing likely to be carried int the touristy area or where Barang live in numbers .

Go take a look in khymer440forum , mostly inhabited by long time residents and buisiness people .

I did not read your wikitravel link before , but I just took the trouble to do so , all I can say is that it is so far out of whack it is unbelievable they were allowed to publish it .

As to your good self , you joined TV 3 years ago and posted your address as Chaing Mai which is in Thailand , but on this thread you state you have lived in PP for 3 years , which are we to believe , just as your facts on PP came also from a dubious scource . I am a great believer in giving the good , the bad and the ugly when talking about my experiences , as I have found them to be in fact before my eyes , I would never even consider taking somebody elses biased opinion just to prove a point , that is not fair to future visitors or to the very friendly people of PP .

I have lived in Phnom Penh for 3 years, tho haven't yet got around to changing my profile here.

The brick attacks and general crime I describe are not taken from my own experience (other than where stated), but from a number of firsthand reports which you or anyone can read on EPA.

They are also taken from pretty much daily reports in The Phnom Penh Post, in which witnesses and victims are interviewed. These are also online for anyone to see.

If you choose to believe all this is manufactured or exaggerated, that's your choice of course.

I assume the last two posters are not native English speakers: much of what is being said is not understandable. Would be happy to address your points if you can get someone to put them into regular English.

Thanks.

Armed robberies ? Have not read too much about those , but if you are a visitor what do you have worth steeling ?

Nice trivialisation. Visitors don't have much worth stealing so who cares about armed robberies. :rolleyes:

But how about:

- Money. Tourists often carry a lot of money.

- A laptop.

- Passport and credit cards.

Not to mention the psychological trauma of an armed robbery.

Anyway, it seems some of Cambodia apologists are a bit delusional about the country so I wouldn't rely on them about what they say about safety or anything else.

I have lived in Phnom Penh for 3 years, tho haven't yet got around to changing my profile here.

The brick attacks and general crime I describe are not taken from my own experience (other than where stated), but from a number of firsthand reports which you or anyone can read on EPA.

They are also taken from pretty much daily reports in The Phnom Penh Post, in which witnesses and victims are interviewed. These are also online for anyone to see.

ataggerated, that's your choice of course.

I assume the last two posters are not native English speakers: much of what is being said is not understandable. Would be happy to address your points if you can get someone to put them into regular English.

Thanks.

I can confirm this is true. I read about the brick attacks in one of the newspapers, I think it was the Phnom Penh Post but I could be mistaken ... it was one of the daily english-language newspapers anyway.

The story told about a guy who took a brick to the head from behind and wound up with a pretty nasty concussion. The reporter had identified around eight people who had been attacked in this way. Some had not reported it to the police. Some had. The reporter interviewed one of the police commanders and he said the attacks had not happened. period.

Cambodia can still be a rough place. It is improving rapidly, but there is still a lot of violence, particularly in the provinces. A friend of mine owns one of the restaurants around town. A few months ago one of his staff members was shot and killed while walking home at night after work. Nobody knows if it was some random act or a deliberate hit. He had a wife and kid.

I often read newspaper reports of robberies (home invasions) where the victims have cooperated and handed over their valuables, then the robbers just kill them anyway for good measure.

A friend of mine was mugged about a month ago, and roughed up pretty good. Luckily he is a kickboxer and once the muggers realised he wasn't a soft target they split, with his phone and wallet.

None of that, however, compares to a much larger danger - the traffic. Cambodians are the worst drivers I have seen anywhere in the world. True idiots on wheels. I have personally seen 5 people die on the roads (at least, they looked pretty dead) over a period of 8 months. All of them cambodians, riding a motorcycle at night with no lights on and not wearing a helmet.

In over 5 years living in Phnom Penh , I can honestly say I have never had a safety problem , or even anything that could be misinterpreted as such , I am by nature , a friendly , helpfull person , I can tell of a down and out foriegner who slept outside of a store for months , of Canadians who vacationed here and related it was the friendliest , safest country they had visited in Asia , but then , I would be castigated by the nay-sayers who visit all the darkest alley ways for wierd night-life , presumption of course .

The 'Brick throwing' as reported on the Khymer forum , sheds a different light on the subject , the 'Bricks' are small stones fired from slingshots , not intended for visitors as such , but at persons who have peed off the rich kids driving the family mercedes . like many rich kids , they seem to get so fired up over little in thier daily boredom .

Armed robberies ? Have not read too much about those , but if you are a visitor what do you have worth steeling ? So few visitors or expats are caught up in these isolated incidents it is by far amongst the local inhabitants .

Dumball for once I must agree with you.

I moved to Sihanoukville in April 2007, then in June 2009 I moved to Phnom Penh. I have never felt in any way in Danger except on the road while driving in PP.

After living and doing Business in Thailand since 1991, I moved because "Crime is out of control" in Thailand, just check some of the discussion on thaivisa.

When I first moved an English lady had just moved over from Jomtien Beach, she took the Apt next door to me I asked her why she moved she said "I dont feel safe in Thailand anymore" She is still in Snooky.

Also people in Thailand say that Thai's are not liked in Cambodia well my wife is Thai she gets along very well with the Khmer People and has never had one bit of trouble, she loves living here but of course misses her son.

Now before any of you go jumping up & down. Tuk Tar and myself are known in person by some of the members on Thai Visa one of the moderators has been to my home in Phnom Penh for dinner.

Take it or leave it but what I have said is the truth not some crap just posted by a newbie reading a news paper.

Cheers Tony.

Dumball for once I must agree with you.

I moved to Sihanoukville in April 2007, then in June 2009 I moved to Phnom Penh. I have never felt in any way in Danger except on the road while driving in PP.

After living and doing Business in Thailand since 1991, I moved because "Crime is out of control" in Thailand, just check some of the discussion on thaivisa.

When I first moved an English lady had just moved over from Jomtien Beach, she took the Apt next door to me I asked her why she moved she said "I dont feel safe in Thailand anymore" She is still in Snooky.

Also people in Thailand say that Thai's are not liked in Cambodia well my wife is Thai she gets along very well with the Khmer People and has never had one bit of trouble, she loves living here but of course misses her son.

Now before any of you go jumping up & down. Tuk Tar and myself are known in person by some of the members on Thai Visa one of the moderators has been to my home in Phnom Penh for dinner.

Take it or leave it but what I have said is the truth not some crap just posted by a newbie reading a news paper.

Cheers Tony.

Not that there's anything wrong with reading newspapers to remain informed right? In fact, quoting a newspaper is often almost as effective in establish the authority of one's argument as having a TV moderator over for dinner ...?

I am not a Cambodia expert but when I visited in 2002 I felt safe no problems except the beggars who are a pain. And I will also say I have spent a lot of time in Thailand and have also felt safe.

There are people who seem to attract problems were ever they go and some who never have a problem. I guess that explains the difference in opinion on this thread.

Presuming is just that , presumption , if it is not first hand it is also presumption because you are presuming the person relating the incident is not adding fantasy to fact , facts alone can be and are rather boring in many instances .

Newspapers ?????????? Reporters?????????????facts given by Witnesses????????????????Who actualy sawWhat?????.

I used to phone in interesting tid-bits to a local newspaper , a reporter would be dispatched to investigate and do a write up for the evening edition , if used I would get a small monetary payement , one on a bank heist was quite substantial . However , on reading the posted article , I often wondered where the reporter had found the interesting comments with which he embellished his report . Reporters are hired to fill newspapers with items of interest to sell newspapers , the more newspapers sold , the more advertising the newspaper receives , thus greater income .

A long time friend of mine was the national advertising manager of major Canadian daily , he told me that as long as reports held a grain of truth they could legally be used , otherwise lawsuites could ensue , second hand knowledge in court is often refered to as 'Heresay'.

In the past I have gone to court as witness to motoring 'Accidents' , 9 out of ten witnesses never saw 'The accident' in proccess , they had heard the resultant BANG and then turned to survey the 'Result' , this is the same as people telling you they saw this or that , but In fact' only actualy saw the aftermath . What you see with your own two eyes is probably true , what you hear or read is merely conjecture on your part , would you condem a city on mere conjecture ????????????

That was the way it was when I visited Cambodia a lot, but that was a while ago. It always felt safe there - to me - but tourists would get shot with an M-16 - right downtown - at noon - for not handing over their money fast enough while being robbed and sometimes the culprit was a policeman. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have been in Phnom Penh over 10 times in the past 4 years as a tourist and never had anybody threaten me or anything. Only beggars begging and moto drivers offering their services. Just ignore them.

I have even been walking down dark streets late at night without problems. Not that I will recommend that but people do stupid things when drinking too much.

I don't think Phnom Penh is less safe than Bangkok or Pattaya.