Atvs

roni

Hi,

It has been a while since there was a discussion about ATV and I am guessing things must have changed...

I am looking to buy an ATV for farming use (carrying feed etc), now we are using a pickup but it is to big and heavy and quite difficult to drive going through rice paddy roads. The bikes are not very stable going after rains and cant carry anything.

I am not looking for high end ATVs just something to get the job done. I heard that there are chines ATVs for around 30k and was wondering what to avoid and terms of power, suspension, and most of all safety.

Thanks in advance.

Roni

Thanks for that I am interested in buying one of these things, a little bit more adaptable than the Kabota we use now , Jim

Thanks for the info...It seems like they also have some 30-60k models as well. Are they useable for farming?

I see you started a new topic on this :D

as mention in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/382715-the-drought/page__view__findpost__p__3795527 ,mine is the Big Bear 150cc in the web site provided in the above post.

When i bought it from the show room in Chiang Rai (Ferario ATV, the owner decided to call it quit and move shop to Chiang Mai after selling 400 ATV in Chiang Rai for 2 years, Mitsubishi service center now rent the property. ) i didn't notice the 200cc manual gears transmission hiding at a corner, for an extra 5'000 THB on top of the 58'000 THB, i'd have went for it. :annoyed: ...They show me the 250cc instead, for 70'000 THB :o ...so i settled for the 150cc automatic after i convinced myself that i'm buying for the purpose of farm use.

The flaw i find with all back wheel chain drive ATV is the rear disc brake near the left rear wheel, it is at the place where muddy water and sand debits get caught in between the disc and brake pads, it scatches the disc and eat up the pads. Mine is DIY modify with a cut up PTT 6 lit multi grade engine oil empty gallon container, must be the 6 lit type because the 5 lit type container won't fit very well, cut the shape to fit in perfactly with the bottle cap face out (pre drill holes so you can tie the cut flaps with cable ties), to keep the muddy water and sand debits out, with the bottle cap facing out, you could open the cap and fit a water hose in to wash the brake when necessary.

I wielded one metal rod to the chassis on each side just under the front wheel where the front rack rest on the mud guard to support weight of 2 feed sacks and a hook up extension at the bottom of the rear rack so i could attach a trailer, load the "road kane" (two wheel trolley) with 13 20kg sacks of pellet feed, put 5 on the ATV, total 18 sack at one go...;)

Ordering parts are easy partly because one of the ex mechanic live near my village, if problems, i just call him up, he comes in to repair and order parts from his ex boss in Chiang Mai and he courier out and the mechanic gets it in a day or two.

Edited by RedBullHorn

as mention in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/382715-the-drought/page__view__findpost__p__3795527 ,mine is the Big Bear 150cc in the web site provided in the above post.

When i bought it from the show room in Chiang Rai (Ferario ATV, the owner decided to call it quit and move shop to Chiang Mai after selling 400 ATV in Chiang Rai for 2 years, Mitsubishi service center now rent the property. ) i didn't notice the 200cc manual gears transmission hiding at a corner, for an extra 5'000 THB on top of the 58'000 THB, i'd have went for it. :annoyed: ...They show me the 250cc instead, for 70'000 THB :o ...so i settled for the 150cc automatic after i convinced myself that i'm buying for the purpose of farm use.

The flaw i find with all back wheel chain drive ATV is the rear disc brake near the left rear wheel, it is at the place where muddy water and sand debits get caught in between the disc and brake pads, it scatches the disc and eat up the pads. Mine is DIY modify with a cut up PTT 6 lit multi grade engine oil empty gallon container, must be the 6 lit type because the 5 lit type container won't fit very well, cut the shape to fit in perfactly with the bottle cap face out (pre drill holes so you can tie the cut flaps with cable ties), to keep the muddy water and sand debits out, with the bottle cap facing out, you could open the cap and fit a water hose in to wash the brake when necessary.

I wielded one metal rod to the chassis on each side just under the front wheel where the front rack rest on the mud guard to support weight of 2 feed sacks and a hook up extension at the bottom of the rear rack so i could attach a trailer, load the "road kane" (two wheel trolley) with 13 20kg sacks of pellet feed, put 5 on the ATV, total 18 sack at one go...;)

Ordering parts are easy partly because one of the ex mechanic live near my village, if problems, i just call him up, he comes in to repair and order parts from his ex boss in Chiang Mai and he courier out and the mechanic gets it in a day or two.

Wow!! thats some technical stuff...:)

Sorry to say that I understand, well, nothing...:D

Can I buy the cheap 110cc ones?

Where do I go to modify them? (around Buri Ram area)

Thanks, Roni.

as mention in http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3795527 ,mine is the Big Bear 150cc in the web site provided in the above post.

Wow!! thats some technical stuff...:)

Sorry to say that I understand, well, nothing...:D

Can I buy the cheap 110cc ones?

Where do I go to modify them? (around Buri Ram area)

Thanks, Roni.

roni Posted Today, 11:35

Hi,

It has been a while since there was a discussion about ATV and I am guessing things must have changed...

I am looking to buy an ATV for farming use (carrying feed etc), now we are using a pickup but it is to big and heavy and quite difficult to drive going through rice paddy roads. The bikes are not very stable going after rains and cant carry anything.

I am not looking for high end ATVs just something to get the job done. I heard that there are chines ATVs for around 30k and was wondering what to avoid and terms of power, suspension, and most of all safety.

Thanks in advance.

Roni

.................................!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::cheesy:

you knew nothing about technical stuffs and yet you ask....and as for modification, i mentioned D.I.Y. now do you know what it means !?!! :lol:

Cheap 110cc ? ride the Honda Wave, that's 110 ..............or you could buy the mini ATV (size of a go-kart) 50cc i think...........

RBH, you misunderstood me. I meant the cheap 110 cc from the website that liveinlos suggested like:

http://www.atvbangkok.com/index.php?mo=28&id=86463 for 32k

or http://www.atvbangkok.com/index.php?mo=28&id=86473 for 38k

And as for DIY i get it that you can do it.........but for the people that cant, maybe someone knows a place that can do those modification. (If its not clear I cant)

Thanks, Roni.

RBH, you misunderstood me. I meant the cheap 110 cc from the website that liveinlos suggested like:

http://www.atvbangko...?mo=28&id=86463 for 32k

or http://www.atvbangko...?mo=28&id=86473 for 38k

And as for DIY i get it that you can do it.........but for the people that cant, maybe someone knows a place that can do those modification. (If its not clear I cant)

Thanks, Roni.

ok~ the110cc featured in the web sites are for free style sport riding, the height are lower than the bulky looking type and a bit low on power if you want to load feed sacks, small farm equipments or the needed torque power to pull a home made hook up tailer with full load behide. The sport type looks gorgeous indeed but if it's for farm use, suggest you get the bulky looking type...:)

As for non-DIY modification, mechanics in the village are equally skill and have the tools in hand to do the job because they view ATVs as motocross scrambles with four wheels.

i just saw this 110cc bulky type....this is suitable for "lighter weight load" farm use if you don't mind the low power and torque...;) but judging from the hight of the handle bar, it is lower than the 150cc Big Bear version by a foot, may be a problem crossing flood because engine's carburator, air intake and exhaust pipe are lower.

http://www.atvbangko...12&catid=112148

Edited by RedBullHorn

Polaris make some good 400 cc+ ATV with front drive option, with the rear axle drive. If memory serves me they went up to 600 cc and were real farm workhorses. In 4 wheel drive neither mud, snow, or steep incline would stop them. We used them for roundup, running fences, running irrigation system, etc. The Chinese made ATV appear to be typical copies on the small side for the rough work/handling which will be needed on the farm.

Polaris make some good 400 cc+ ATV with front drive option, with the rear axle drive. If memory serves me they went up to 600 cc and were real farm workhorses. In 4 wheel drive neither mud, snow, or steep incline would stop them. We used them for roundup, running fences, running irrigation system, etc. The Chinese made ATV appear to be typical copies on the small side for the rough work/handling which will be needed on the farm.

I have one of those redbullhorn has. its a 200cc manual, I dont use it much but it has carried a few bags of fertiliser etc. Its ok for the price and gets me up the mountain/Hill faster than anything else I've got. They did have something like a 400cc in the showroom when I bought mine. it was about 4x the price. Horses for courses I suppose.

the 400cc 4WD you saw on display at the former Chiang Rai show room is a 2nd hand selling at 235'000 THB...i still remember it. They said a brand new would cost over 400'000 THB !

yeah, the nice green one. Yeah , I got a brochure with the price - 400K it was indeed.

Its got to do with the Thai Tax system I guess. Nice though it was ;-) ... I dread to think what a Polaris would cost here

400,000 baht, tax system, import duty??? whatever excuse, I would have to opt out at that price. May be able to get a small tractor with front wheel assist for that price. They have a couple ATV shops here in CM but have never gone looking as have no need, other than play toy. Have seen the smaller ones running the streets (probably try out)and helped a neighbor who bought one, start it. He did not know to engage break prior to cranking. The dealers must not spend too much time helping the customer, understand his purchase.

I have 2 Polaris Sportsman 500cc 4wd. Amazing vehicle with great torque that will go anywhere in 2wd, never mind 4. Might be interested in selling one, they are 9 months old.

How much do you want for it?

I have 2 Polaris Sportsman 500cc 4wd. Amazing vehicle with great torque that will go anywhere in 2wd, never mind 4. Might be interested in selling one, they are 9 months old.

How much do you want for it?

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.atvbangko...?mo=28&id=86463 for 32k

or http://www.atvbangko...?mo=28&id=86473 for 38k

Thanks, Roni.

ok~ the110cc featured in the web sites are for free style sport riding, the height are lower than the bulky looking type and a bit low on power if you want to load feed sacks, small farm equipments or the needed torque power to pull a home made hook up tailer with full load behide. The sport type looks gorgeous indeed but if it's for farm use, suggest you get the bulky looking type...:)

As for non-DIY modification, mechanics in the village are equally skill and have the tools in hand to do the job because they view ATVs as motocross scrambles with four wheels.

i just saw this 110cc bulky type....this is suitable for "lighter weight load" farm use if you don't mind the low power and torque...;) but judging from the hight of the handle bar, it is lower than the 150cc Big Bear version by a foot, may be a problem crossing flood because engine's carburator, air intake and exhaust pipe are lower.

http://www.atvbangko...12&catid=112148

RBH, do you have a solution for the mud not hitting your face and most of your body ? :)

i use an empty feed sack to cover the rear rack and...... i go slow~ :lol:

Thanks RBH,

I bought a konik 125cc

looks kind of like this one :

http://www.konikatv.com/show.php?pid=8

but 125 cc

already tried to take some feed bag with it (4 bag of 30 kilo) works great.... will try to connect the back cart later.

The biggest problem for me now is the mud.

Maybe will try to add some plastic around the wings of the wheels

Roni.

and remember what i mention about protecting the disc brake from mud and sand a few posts above...

post-42398-005682600 1282300906_thumb.jppost-42398-041980200 1282301025_thumb.jp

(click on the picture to enlarge...)

The ideal gallon container would be the PTT 6 lit multi-grade engine oil.

Edited by RedBullHorn

as mention in http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3795527 ,mine is the Big Bear 150cc in the web site provided in the above post.

post-42398-075365300 1282303218_thumb.jppost-42398-021146600 1282303256_thumb.jppost-42398-040238600 1282303295_thumb.jppost-42398-039676500 1282303323_thumb.jp

just to prevent the front rack from breaking through the mud guard faring and enable it to hold two sack of feed totaling 60kg.

and remember what i mention about protecting the disc brake from mud and sand a few posts above...

post-42398-005682600 1282300906_thumb.jppost-42398-041980200 1282301025_thumb.jp

(click on the picture to enlarge...)

The ideal gallon container would be the PTT 6 lit multi-grade engine oil.

Thats great ingenuity on your part! will start working on it..

many thanks for the help!

Roni

• 8 months later...

I have one of these Konik 125cc ATV's. Nice little and cheap machine. You have to make sure to check that all the nuts that attach the rear wheels to the axle are done up properly, otherwise the rocking of the wheels will destroy the splines. Also check regularly that the 2 locknuts that hold the sprocket on the axle don't come loose. I have made up up a pipe to slide over the axle, it buts up against the wheelhub on one side and the nuts on the other. That way the nuts cannot undo themselves. I also stiffened the spring tension on the chain idler, otherwise you need a lot of tension on your chain which is pretty bad for the chain and the bearings in the transmission and the rear axle, not to mention the noise it will make after a while. And I attached a couple ot tie wraps to the front brake lines, they tend to rub against the wheels in corners. Like I said, a nice little machine that will give you much pleasure if you tend to it well.

I have one of these Konik 125cc ATV's. Nice little and cheap machine. You have to make sure to check that all the nuts that attach the rear wheels to the axle are done up properly, otherwise the rocking of the wheels will destroy the splines. Also check regularly that the 2 locknuts that hold the sprocket on the axle don't come loose. I have made up up a pipe to slide over the axle, it buts up against the wheelhub on one side and the nuts on the other. That way the nuts cannot undo themselves. I also stiffened the spring tension on the chain idler, otherwise you need a lot of tension on your chain which is pretty bad for the chain and the bearings in the transmission and the rear axle, not to mention the noise it will make after a while. And I attached a couple ot tie wraps to the front brake lines, they tend to rub against the wheels in corners. Like I said, a nice little machine that will give you much pleasure if you tend to it well.

I wanted a real ATV for years, couldn't find anything but the small knockoffs that looked quite breakable.

I drove by a shop in Pattaya, next to Big C coming from Jomtien to Pattaya on Sukhimvit. He had 8 real quads, 400 to 600 cc. I bought a 2009 420 Honda Rancher from him and its the best thing I bought for the farm. Its water cooled, shaft drive front and back, four wheel drive.

The only problem is getting parts for it up where I live, people have never seen anything like this up north and there're not sold localy. I had my brother in Canada send me some oil filters, the air filter is a cleanable foamy. When I need new tires I'll have to go south again.

There is also a website in Thai, www.weekendhobby.com that has all kinds of nice toys for sale on it.

http://www.weekendhobby.com/atv/webboard/weblist.asp

Picture of the Quad I bought in Pattaya.

Also finally found an old army jeep that I've also been looking for. Toyota 2.5 liter, and working 4 wheel drive.

Rides like a lumber wagon, manual steering and goes anywhere. Great for the farm and keeps the scratches off the Toyota

post-20966-0-11729300-1305853761_thumb.j

post-20966-0-09269900-1305854069_thumb.j