The Secret Tourist

I'm downloading it now - expecting it to be a pharse.......

None-the-less ..... whether the tourists be Brits, German, American, Aussie, or from anywhere other than Samui, riding a bike in Samui is a fools game..... I know countless numbers of people who have come off bikes, despite driving relaitvely sensibly...... if you are not intimately familiar with Thai road ethics, not to mention little things like HUGE potholes, road cambers in the wrong direction, sand and god only knows what else, then riding a bike around Samui is asking for trouble. And lets not forget, most tourists who hop on a bike have never driven a motor bike before either.

I have been coming to Samui for 10 years now - and the only piece of advice I give tourists going there (friends etc.) is do not hire a bike..... least of all because of insurance..... us farangs will all get over having to shell out a couple of hundred thousand baht from our own money, but people get seriously hurt and sometimes killed, every hour, let alone day. It's not just your holiday it could spoil. Does the hospital still have a "score chart" up with the number of bike accidents per day?

I'll be interested to see what the Beeb program says - it should say "look, if you go to Samui, please be aware that you are not in disneyland and if you have an acident the hospitals are crap and so a relatively minor injury such as a badly broken limb or compound fracture could be serious and will likely lead to a permanent disability. The roads themselves are not exaclty great, the drivers are partly insane, drunk, or just stupid, or a combination of all 3. xx number of people are injured every day, yy of them are tourists. But the good news is, bikes are cheap (and so is life) so be a big boy (or girl) and don't winge about it when your arrogance surpasses your ignorance and you end up as one of the yy tourists. We are not saying don't hire a bike, we are just saying be aware of these risks which may not have previsouly occured to you."

Corkman,

That's not correct, the permanent disability will be due to the kind of accident that person was involved in however the surgeons here are due to a wealth of experience experts in mending bones etc from motorbike crashes and have a very good surgical knowledge of these kind of fractures and injuries. Sad but true.

Same that certain plastic surgeons in the LOS are experts in putting back private, male parts, due to too much experience in this field but that's for another discussion.

I'm downloading it now - expecting it to be a pharse.......

None-the-less ..... whether the tourists be Brits, German, American, Aussie, or from anywhere other than Samui, riding a bike in Samui is a fools game..... I know countless numbers of people who have come off bikes, despite driving relaitvely sensibly...... if you are not intimately familiar with Thai road ethics, not to mention little things like HUGE potholes, road cambers in the wrong direction, sand and god only knows what else, then riding a bike around Samui is asking for trouble. And lets not forget, most tourists who hop on a bike have never driven a motor bike before either.

I have been coming to Samui for 10 years now - and the only piece of advice I give tourists going there (friends etc.) is do not hire a bike..... least of all because of insurance..... us farangs will all get over having to shell out a couple of hundred thousand baht from our own money, but people get seriously hurt and sometimes killed, every hour, let alone day. It's not just your holiday it could spoil. Does the hospital still have a "score chart" up with the number of bike accidents per day?

I'll be interested to see what the Beeb program says - it should say "look, if you go to Samui, please be aware that you are not in disneyland and if you have an acident the hospitals are crap and so a relatively minor injury such as a badly broken limb or compound fracture could be serious and will likely lead to a permanent disability. The roads themselves are not exaclty great, the drivers are partly insane, drunk, or just stupid, or a combination of all 3. xx number of people are injured every day, yy of them are tourists. But the good news is, bikes are cheap (and so is life) so be a big boy (or girl) and don't winge about it when your arrogance surpasses your ignorance and you end up as one of the yy tourists. We are not saying don't hire a bike, we are just saying be aware of these risks which may not have previsouly occured to you."

Corkman,

That's not correct, the permanent disability will be due to the kind of accident that person was involved in however the surgeons here are due to a wealth of experience experts in mending bones etc from motorbike crashes and have a very good surgical knowledge of these kind of fractures and injuries. Sad but true.

Same that certain plastic surgeons in the LOS are experts in putting back private, male parts, due to too much experience in this field but that's for another discussion.

Tell that to Imagedude from the CR forum

good sound advice and what to look for before hiring a bike, wearing helmets and taking a test before hiring. also what insurance covers and does not cover, programme even ends by saying good news is thailand has calmed down and tourist areas ok. can anybody point out one inaccurate or negative thing they said about Samui. pity they did not rewin oops sorry ruin a few of the motor bike business. so many negative comments from people who have not even seen it,

the half of the programme supposidly filmed in the UK is about 3 minutes long and a police motorbike expert explaing what to look for when hiring. 600 brits killed or injured a year warrants a mention,unless of course you own a business in samui

who cares

maybe if you had tried to comfort a couple of them as they passed away you would care. both times not tourist fault both times fault of drunken thai drivers crossing the road. both my mates that died on bikes were long time riders on samui, drunk and had no helmets on, bit of advice for tourist does no harm. anyway programme made Samui look a really nice place to visit.

In Germany and Austria and Switzerland there is a widely popular reality show called "Die Aussteiger" engl.: "the dropouts"

An upright German couple, which came to Samui to open a bar without any knowledge about anything in Thailand - astonishingly successful they are...

well, with this kind of backing/marketing AND for free... there are places just next door on the same premises, just check them out.

the couple does have a catering/cooking/hospitality background, but what the fuzz, it's merely a truck stop-food shop, near the main road.... not what I would call a restaurant.

It's about time that people are made aware on big scale what rip off the scooters/jet skies rentals are and how dangerous it is to ride Pukets, Samui's and Ko Phangan roads, without proper training, licence and never ever ride while intoxicated... specialy the road on KPG from/to Ban Tai/Tong Sala to Had Rin... coming from Had Rin there is now a Bangkok-Samui Hospital Branch right after the hilly-bit in Ban Tai.. this speaks volumes..!

Edited by Samuian

Just watched it and as thought full of your general crap! The female reporter was a total waste. If you are going to report on the renting of motorcycles you could at least find somebody who actually knows one end of a bike from another. She told us the bike she had rented had no oil in it yet the bike was on the side stand leaning the opposite side to the oil filler. If I check the oil on my bike like this it also fails to show yet with the bike on the CENTRE STAND it is fine. She was also shown pulling the rear brake lever telling us that the brake pads were very worn and the brakes were dangerous. Wrong again. The bike has rear brake shoes and the lever travel is easily rectified by a few turns of the nut at the rear wheel.

All we seem to see on the TV and in the press are all negative reporting. It would be nice to see a program that showed the better side of life here for a change. I have sent the guy an email so will see if I ever get a reply ;)

Big C if you haven't seen it yet let me know and will stick it on disc for you :D

I have deleted a post & the answer to it. If you can't post in a respectful manner, please refrain from posting. These type of posts are inflammatory & harness harsh responses due to their nature.

Edited by Rooo

back on the subject of the programme, I found it very boring, all of it, but laughed when they spotted the camera filming them and then suddenly the undercover roving reporters cacked it and paid up the 150 baht. Good move, it was the best part of the show, I was even thinking big mumma was gonna come out for the 150 baht. What was she thinking, 'that tyre wouldn't go like that in just two or three days,' of course it would dummy, it's called a slow puncture!

After watching this show, my conclusion is that people who believe in what this show tells them are babies (for lack of a better word). These babies expect people to take care of them when they are travelling, they expect to not have to do their own due diligence on anything because 'they' are on holiday and a happy/safe trip is an entitlement.

Give me a break. The majority of problems highlighted on the show can easily be avoided if one is just careful and not make 'assumptions'.

And regarding the bit on the bike rentals in Thailand. Give me another break. Do people really so naively think that a bike rental shop really cares about their safety? Any shop owner in the world only cares that his bike returns? Low pressure tires, bad breaks, check it yourself before you rent the bike. Hey, its 150baht, 5 USD and you expect a tight fitting helmet for all shapes and sizes of renters heads and with no scratches?

The complaining and bitching on this show is almost unbearable, but what is more unbearable is that this show caters to an audience who actually believes that their safety is the responsibility of others. Some people have been pampered for too long.

• Like 1

After watching this show, my conclusion is that people who believe in what this show tells them are babies (for lack of a better word). These babies expect people to take care of them when they are travelling, they expect to not have to do their own due diligence on anything because 'they' are on holiday and a happy/safe trip is an entitlement.

Give me a break. The majority of problems highlighted on the show can easily be avoided if one is just careful and not make 'assumptions'.

And regarding the bit on the bike rentals in Thailand. Give me another break. Do people really so naively think that a bike rental shop really cares about their safety? Any shop owner in the world only cares that his bike returns? Low pressure tires, bad breaks, check it yourself before you rent the bike. Hey, its 150baht, 5 USD and you expect a tight fitting helmet for all shapes and sizes of renters heads and with no scratches?

The complaining and bitching on this show is almost unbearable, but what is more unbearable is that this show caters to an audience who actually believes that their safety is the responsibility of others. Some people have been pampered for too long.

Absolutely!!!!! Well said. There is no "Nanny State" here. If people can't take responsibility for themselves and generally behaving like adults, they should go to Butlins or Club Med

Agree with the previous posts, buyer beware, this has to come down to taking personal responsibility.

If some one can not spot a bald tire, or tell immediately if the brakes are defective, is clueless about when to use the back brake or front brake on a motorbike, or what action bike riders are referring to that they call a life saver , then they simply have no business riding or renting a bike here in Thailand, chances are it will end in tears.

Its not about bald tyres , oil levels, lack of maintenance, as the BBC are focusing on, its simply a complete lack of rider skills ( road craft) that causes the vast majority of visitors here come unstuck, on a motor bike.

What makes it worse is that some people turn up here with little or no motor bike riding skills, rent one and then ride around while completely intoxicated. There are many sensible tourists that, wear the helmet, rent a new good condition machine, do not drink or drive, and still have horrible accidents, again through zero riding experience

My advice to all visitors is do not rent any motor bike here unless you are a competent rider, only give copies of passport / ID to the rental shop, and take note of the rental agreement which in most cases are written in English and plainly say that the hirer is not insured and will be heavily penalised, for the smallest scratch, regardless of circumstances,

The BBC should be doing more to educate people about the dangers of riding a motor bike without having proper training, as is mandatory in the UK before one is allowed anywhere near the Queens Highway.

Yes some natives do drive like complete idiots , but most of them can handle a machine very well simply because they started riding in some cases as young as 8 or 9 years old,

Edited by Rooo
Changed Font & size. Rooo.

My local used to be the Catcandoo in Bangrak. Next door was a bike repair and rental shop. I have seen at least 10 people rent a bike and whilst attempting to do a U turn to go towards Big Buddha go straight over the road into the inlet next to the pier. Not even the width of the road and they have wrecked themselves and the bike. The majority of tourists that come here do not ride any form of motorbike back home yet come here, rent a bike and have an accident and wonder why. Of course it is all the fault of the nasty Thai rental man and nothing to do with the numpty that has crashed. But then making a program about incompetent and tight fisted tourists on holiday isn't as headline grabbing as the tourist getting ripped off.

the programme pointed out that over 600 Brits die or injured on bikes in Thailand, and that Thailand was the most dangerous country in the world to visit. it also focused on a guy whos parents had to fork out £21,000 for hospital bills as he had not taken a cbt test. 50% of the bikes had no licence plates 0-10 were safe and when they pointed it out to one of the rental owners she made them pay 150 baht to fix a non existent puncture. typical Samui attitude. 3 out of the 10 bikes had little or no oil in which could have been costly in cash and deaths. as a result of the programme the Thai police gave out advice to motorbike rental companies. if the programme saves one death it was worth it.

suprised so many people not heard of a proxy server save all that looking for places to download it.

A CBT does not cut it for 99% of Travel Insurance purposes. For most policies you require a FULL driving licence for the class of vehicle that you are driving. A CBT is not a licence of any sort, it is as it says, a Compulsory Basic Test.

the programme pointed out that over 600 Brits die or injured on bikes in Thailand, and that Thailand was the most dangerous country in the world to visit. it also focused on a guy whos parents had to fork out £21,000 for hospital bills as he had not taken a cbt test. 50% of the bikes had no licence plates 0-10 were safe and when they pointed it out to one of the rental owners she made them pay 150 baht to fix a non existent puncture. typical Samui attitude. 3 out of the 10 bikes had little or no oil in which could have been costly in cash and deaths. as a result of the programme the Thai police gave out advice to motorbike rental companies. if the programme saves one death it was worth it.

suprised so many people not heard of a proxy server save all that looking for places to download it.

A CBT does not cut it for 99% of Travel Insurance purposes. For most policies you require a FULL driving licence for the class of vehicle that you are driving. A CBT is not a licence of any sort, it is as it says, a Compulsory Basic Test.

not entirly true, a cbt allows a 16 year old in England to drive a 50 CC motorbike with L plates ( restricted to 30 MPH ) , or a 17 plus year old a 125 , again with L plates. to drive anything larger then a 125 ( must be restricted to 60 MPH ) you must obtain a full motorbike licence.

But the CBT does ensure basic road knowledge,

• 1 month later...

not entirly true, a cbt allows a 16 year old in England to drive a 50 CC motorbike with L plates ( restricted to 30 MPH ) , or a 17 plus year old a 125 , again with L plates. to drive anything larger then a 125 ( must be restricted to 60 MPH ) you must obtain a full motorbike licence.

You are as bad as that programme 'Secret Tourist' for giving out erroneous information:

You will need to complete a CBT if:

•you want to ride a motorcycle

•you want to ride a moped

A moped has an engine not over 50 cc with maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour which is approximately 31 miles per hour

If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

There are no age criteria attached to a CBT as you can see from the above.

My point was that a CBT is not a licence, it is a peice of indeed very important paper that accompanies a provisional licence. It has no standing anywhere else in the world apart from the UK. The programme made much of their so called investigators holding such a qualification when testing out motor bikes in Samui and thereby, in my humble opinion, giving the viewer the erroneous impression that being the holder of a CBT was sufficient for Thai law and insurance purposes, which it ain't on either account.

You are as bad as that programme 'Secret Tourist' for giving out erroneous information:

You will need to complete a CBT if:

•you want to ride a motorcycle

•you want to ride a moped

A moped has an engine not over 50 cc with maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour which is approximately 31 miles per hour

If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

There are no age criteria attached to a CBT as you can see from the above.

My point was that a CBT is not a licence, it is a peice of indeed very important paper that accompanies a provisional licence. It has no standing anywhere else in the world apart from the UK. The programme made much of their so called investigators holding such a qualification when testing out motor bikes in Samui and thereby, in my humble opinion, giving the viewer the erroneous impression that being the holder of a CBT was sufficient for Thai law and insurance purposes, which it ain't on either account.

yep i have a uk full bike liscence and a thai bike liscence. The only thing to do is promote the risk. if u decide to ride. Without a helmet, and road knoledge, not even a CBT just to help u be used the handling of the bike, talking on your phone with your wife a baby on the bike adding extra wieght, in some case i have seen foreigners litturally drinking beer and riding a bike. The well i have seen some natsy nasty accidents. People parralised from the neck down.

Not being funny but when i did my test in Uk on a 500 cc. they taught me so many life saving manouvers that i just simpley would not know had i not down the test. The u have people who have never even ridden a bike before jumping stright on them.

The thai people i can understand they are more tolerant because they are more and they have to move stuff around.

Aldo i feel a little bit sorry for the tourists because of the no publiuc transport and the high taxi fares. I can understand why it makes more sense to rent a bike.

i would never rent a bike in bangkok becuase they have so many other means of tansport.

just hope it if not your first day and first time out here and u have to spend it in hospital.

People with there bones popping pit of there bodies. i think people should have a think before hand.

U ride and it is your own choice but my pholosphy is never walk into a room u cannot walk out of.

also does anyone have a youtube link for this program ?

cheers