Motorbike Licence?

Knakpattra

Hello all,

With some enthousiasm i am able to say i am a Phuket resident starting from today, after coming to Thailand the past 5 years for more than 40 times (i lived in Asia already since 10 years)

So,..Phuket is nice but the transportation (taxi's) is horrible compared to other places in Thailand. It is even more difficult for me as i dont have a driver licence for car, not even for a bike. In the past while visiting Phuket for short time i always rented a bike during but since i will be living here permanently for the next 1 or 2 years i better should find out whether it is possible to drive a +100cc engine (planning to get a Honda Click) without any issues with the law.

Someone got any advice for me on this subject? highly appreciated :)

I reckon you should get one mate, shouldn't be too hard. There's plenty of threads on here about it, use the search function or use google and add 'thai visa' to the search question

Yap, you are right about that, figured out i would be able to find it somewere and i did. Seems i am pretty screwed up as i dont have a (intl.) licence or whatsoever so it means i have to take tests, health checks and so on... guess its time now to find out whether there are 'easier' ways to go through these procedures :/

Yap, you are right about that, figured out i would be able to find it somewere and i did. Seems i am pretty screwed up as i dont have a (intl.) licence or whatsoever so it means i have to take tests, health checks and so on... guess its time now to find out whether there are 'easier' ways to go through these procedures :/

Nah, just take the test, if you had a licence from your home country you'd still have to do the theory test and without it you'll just have to do the riding test as well, start, stop, a few cones maybe, ride along a narrow bar ( i think it's a bit of concrete about 6 inches wide) and you're done, as long as you don't fall off! :) health checks you'd need anyway, apparently you just nip into a clinic and give them a few baht. Shouldn't be too hard. Best bet, seeing as all the provinces seem different, is to go and ask them.

Nah, just take the test, if you had a licence from your home country you'd still have to do the theory test and without it you'll just have to do the riding test as well, start, stop, a few cones maybe, ride along a narrow bar ( i think it's a bit of concrete about 6 inches wide) and you're done, as long as you don't fall off! :) health checks you'd need anyway, apparently you just nip into a clinic and give them a few baht. Shouldn't be too hard. Best bet, seeing as all the provinces seem different, is to go and ask them.

Thx, ill just get one myself, shouldnt be too hard...just hope it doesnt take all day as what i read on various sites... until then i am more or less forced to use a motorcycle to go to work which is 15 minutes driving.... either this or pay 1000 baht taxifare (up/down). Hope this goes unnoticed for the time being :/

Thx, ill just get one myself, shouldnt be too hard...just hope it doesnt take all day as what i read on various sites... until then i am more or less forced to use a motorcycle to go to work which is 15 minutes driving.... either this or pay 1000 baht taxifare (up/down). Hope this goes unnoticed for the time being :/

You must go before 9:30 AM to the Land Office in Phuket. You will need your passport and a copy of the picture page, a copy of your visa, a residence certificate from your embassy or the immigration office. If getting it from Thai Immigration you will need a copy of your passport (picture page), a copy of your departure card (TM6), a copy of your lease or rental agreement and a copy of your landlord's or house owners ID card. May as well have a copy of the house book too. A medical certificate, it's 100 Baht at any clinic (not over 1 month old) and then watch a movie, eye test, a reaction test, then take the written and road tests. You should be done sometime in the afternoon. If you want an automobile license you will need a second batch of copies for it. They take your picture at the Land Office, which you pay for along with the fees for the licenses. I finally have all my paper work done and I am going in next week to get both of mine. I have a valid license for an automobile, so I won't have to take the driving test for it, just for the motorbike. I hear you should bring a book and something to eat and drink as they take off an hour I think, for lunch... Good luck, it sounds like a lot of no fun...

You must go before 9:30 AM to the Land Office in Phuket. You will need your passport and a copy of the picture page, a copy of your visa, a residence certificate from your embassy or the immigration office. If getting it from Thai Immigration you will need a copy of your passport (picture page), a copy of your departure card (TM6), a copy of your lease or rental agreement and a copy of your landlord's or house owners ID card. May as well have a copy of the house book too. A medical certificate, it's 100 Baht at any clinic (not over 1 month old) and then watch a movie, eye test, a reaction test, then take the written and road tests. You should be done sometime in the afternoon. If you want an automobile license you will need a second batch of copies for it. They take your picture at the Land Office, which you pay for along with the fees for the licenses. I finally have all my paper work done and I am going in next week to get both of mine. I have a valid license for an automobile, so I won't have to take the driving test for it, just for the motorbike. I hear you should bring a book and something to eat and drink as they take off an hour I think, for lunch... Good luck, it sounds like a lot of no fun...

yepp, closed for lunch 1200-1300 and mot many eaterys around.

and Land Office handles land transactions, so better go to Land Transport Department close to Immigration:) .

roadtests are done on a closed field, not on the road, and are very basic and simple.

best car would be a Toyota Vios or Honda City, as it gets to wallet park in the large wallet still being a small car