Thailand's Tuk Tuk Ranked No.5 Of The World Best Taxi

webfact

Wow, 1,900 people canvassed for their opinions, indeed we must consider this a representative survey and of course the results reflect truly the opinion of the rest of us.whistling.gif

Lies, dammed lies and then statisticscool.gif.

Edited by siampolee

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute. First, add up the percentages. They don't even add to 100%!!!!!. Last year, hotel.com ranked London taxis #1...but a huge margin:

The top ten cities in the world for taxis

Rank City % of votes cast for top 10

1 London 33%

2 New York 17%

3 Berlin 6%

4 Madrid 5%

5 Copenhagen 4%

6 Stockholm 3%

7 Bangkok 3%

8 Las Vegas 3%

9 Dublin 2%

10 Paris 2%

And what I have read is the survey is for TAXIs, not tuk tuks! Somebody sure screwed this one up....

I love the Tuk Tuks...but only for one ride a year or so! I can't believe the criteria:

The World Best taxi has been ranked by several factors involved including cleanliness, service charge, driving quality, route skills, friendliness, safety and availability.

Cleanliness? Forget it!

Service charge? Way more than an AC taxi!

Driving quality? Some of them are crazy!

Route skills? Sure, as they can go just about anywhere.

Friendliness? OK.

Safety? You've got to be kidding?

Availability. OK.

Had to be voted on by visitors who are only here for 2-3 days.

Bungee jumping is safer.

Looks like someone in the govt news agency decided to tinker with the wording and give 5th place to the tuk-tuks. Good for national pride if nothing else.

Yeah, they are so proud of tuk tuk but hate normal taxis. The original source mentioned tuk tuks, remember its a second language speaker writing.

Another example of news getting skewed when it is in the hands of a Thai government news organisation. The poll wasnt anything to do with tuk-tuk's - it was about taxis.

Other news reports mention that Bangkok, 'famed for it's tuk-tuks' came fifth. But as with the previous year's polls, it's about real taxis, not tuk-tuks.

Looks like someone in the govt news agency decided to tinker with the wording and give 5th place to the tuk-tuks. Good for national pride if nothing else.

Thank you for this!

This actually makes sense. The A/C taxi service in Bangkok is good.

Whenever someone visits thailand, I tell them to take the Tuk Tuk once, for the "experience, then the A/C taxi, because it's safer, more comfortable and CHEAPER!

We did some test with my thai wife. I stay out of sight and she asks the price for trips we regularly do. In central Bangkok, the price for short trips in Tuk Tuk is 9 times out of 10 higher than in a normal Taxi. And because the traffic is so bad, you don't really get faster (their "shortcuts" in the small soi are usually a joke). A bit more out of the center, tuk tuk rates might be interesting. But you're still the nose in the fumes.

I personally take the Tuk Tuk only if I'm in a rush and no Taxi seem available.

I dont believe this POST. Its impossible. When it rains you get wetter in a TT than simply walking in the rain. There isnt one single positive thing you can say about the worlds worst mode of public transport.

agreed.

double agreed! Tuk Tuks are just woeful and dangerous!

Same reason by Bangkok is voted best city, THAI voted best airlines. You figure it out

2010 listings Bangkok does not rate in the top 50 of best world cities.

EIU's ten 'best' cities in the world

Rank

City

Country

VancouverCanada

ViennaAustria

MelbourneAustralia

TorontoCanada

CalgaryCanada

Helsinki Finland

SydneyAustralia

=8

PerthAustralia

=8

AdelaideAustralia

AucklandNew Zealand

Top 10 Worst Places to Catch a Taxi

5 March, 2010 at 2:32 am | Posted in Slug snail & puppydog tail | 4 Comments

Tags: taxis

Rate This

p-ab3gTb8xb3dLg.gifI have recently found the site mapvivo.com where travellers can relate their experiences, as it’s coming up to deciding your travel arrangements for this year I would suggest that you check it out, it’s a great source of information and frankly very funny. At the risk of being accused of plagiarism, although the author’s consent has been given, I think this travel report from the site is worthy of inclusion in CabbieBlog. [All italics are my contributions.]

Well, maybe not the absolute worst, but a catalogue of experiences around the world which explain why a taxi is always my last resort for getting from A to B, and why I’d rather walk, take public transport or a bike just about anywhere.

Disclaimer: Many taxi drivers are polite, courteous, professional and very honest. It’s the others that give you a bad rap, which are the ones I am complaining about . . .

1. bangkok.jpg?w=251&h=192 Bangkok

Don’t expect taxi drivers to know the way – particularly if there has been a bad crop recently in the countryside, since in these times your taxi driver is likely to be an out of work farmer who is unlikely to find his way home, let alone that restaurant you just asked for. In fact, it may take 2 or 3 different attempts before you find a taxi driver that knows where your destination is; let alone how to get there.

If you are lucky the driver will tell you that he has no idea where the destination is in advance, otherwise he’ll just drive you around for a little while.

Having somebody write the destination down for you (or learning how to pronounce words in Thai) can help, but not always, as can calling the place where you are staying and asking them to talk the taxi home for you

It would be nice if people would read the article before posting there prejudices. The article was about travelers opinion's about the whole world. Not Bangkok residents opinions of traveling around Bangkok.

I live in Thailand and use Tuk Tuk's at least twice a week and have never paid more than 100 baht unless I asked them to hang around and take me back home.

I have used the metered cab at least once a week and have never paid less than 120 baht.

It is fairly obvious that most not all of the posters have no knowledge of the world out side of there own back yard and are quick to deny the possibility of what is not in there back yard.

There is indeed a difference in perspective whether you're visiting or living here in Bangkok (or Thailand). A wild ride with a tuk-tuk is accepted, but would lead to complaints to the police back home, go figure.

Living and working in BKK I use what is convenient which may be a mix of taxi-meter, motorcycle, tuk-tuk, BTS/MRT. It all depends on weather and traffic. I must admit, being able to tell where you want to go and how to get there also helps ;)

I love the Tuk Tuks...but only for one ride a year or so! I can't believe the criteria:

The World Best taxi has been ranked by several factors involved including cleanliness, service charge, driving quality, route skills, friendliness, safety and availability.

Cleanliness? Forget it!

Friendliness? OK.

Availability. OK.

i agree more expensive the a Taxi Meter Dirty and trye to rip you off 2 so everry time i go Bangkok i prefered use Taxi Mter then Tuk Tuk yes friendly

Hi all - I just moved to Bangkok and took a tuk tuk to Panthip Plaza last week. I left a bag (containing nothing more than a book and a list of items to be purchased) in the tuc tuc when I got out.

3 minutes later the gentleman driving it found me on the ground floor and handed it to me. I gave him 100 baht as a thank you, as I was so astonished. Dirty and smelly though (the tuk tuk, not the driver).

I do prefer the aircon taxis.

I think that it could be better to CLOSE THIS THREAD QUICKLY ! Why?

Info here is copy paste from National news bureau of thailand,right?

1/So i check on their website.here. http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255308060056

2/What i read : the titlt is : ´Tuk Tuk´ Thailand ranked no.5 of the World Best Taxi by ´hotel.com´

3/So want to know Who is ´hotel.com´

4/ Google, Bing etc etc :´hotel.com´ and then !!!

5/NOTHING ! hotel.com doesn't even EXIST.

May be better to stop speaking about something who doesn't exist. No?

This classification have the same credibility as the previous "Best cities in the world", now just wait next week to see the "Best police force in the world" with Thailand ranking number 1, surely all the governing bodies in Thailand have got lots of spare cash to spend lately, i am wondering if it's the loot they confiscated to that police Lt Colonel on the go....

This classification have the same credibility as the previous "Best cities in the world", now just wait next week to see the "Best police force in the world" with Thailand ranking number 1, surely all the governing bodies in Thailand have got lots of spare cash to spend lately, i am wondering if it's the loot they confiscated to that police Lt Colonel on the go....

Seem to be an inordinate amount of tinfoil hat wearers on this board

A lot of unwarranted negativity as usual here...

Aircon taxi service in Bangkok is one of the best in world. Very cheap, reasonably priced and there's a far worse taxi drivers in other countries. If you speak Thai then they rarely ever try to overcharge or annoy you.

Regarding tuk-tuks, they could be a much better vehicle and an interesting one for this climate. I have a 3-row tuk-tuk, which is LPG powered, with fans inside and automatic gears as well as rain curtains. It's not noisy or dirty and you don't get wet in heavy rains. Great for bringing staff and contractors around Thonglor. We can fit 8 farangs or 16 Thais in it. The LPG conversion costs less than 20 K THB and the fans cost only a few k to install.

It's cheap to run, cheap to buy and can transport more people than an SUV. As a short distance people-mover it is hard to beat. I would much rather have an electric engine but the import taxes make it unfeasible. The problems with the tuk tuks are in the fact that most have not been well maintained and they have not developed much in thirty years....

Tuk Tuk mafia must have got to them...

Yes :D .... perhaps after having succesfully bullied the US Navy in Pukhet and beaten up all those tourist across the country they decided to go for the long shot and started traveling all over the continents to use their mind controlling powers, what about the Baht buses?, there is no mention of them, they should be voted number 1 for their customer service skills :lol:

Edit1: - Double Post -

Edit2: Now is all gone ahhhh, so, again

...... " I have a 3-row tuk-tuk ".......

Yes i always suspected that on some of the judgements given by our members was something a little more consistent involved rather than just personal simpathies...:lol:

Edited by surayu

1/So i check on their website.here. http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255308060056

2/What i read : the titlt is : ´Tuk Tuk´ Thailand ranked no.5 of the World Best Taxi by ´hotel.com´

Hotel.com does exist. Have used it many times. Go to the press release section and you will see last years survey. I could not find this years....

What a joke that survey is!

Obviously no one has ever been to Hong Kong.

Here you get a comfortable air con taxi for a flag fall of HK$18 (B74),which covers most short trips, most drivers have a good knowledge of English and know their way around.

The very idea that they would not turn on the meter is unthinkable.

hong kong taxis are shit the fleet are from the 60,s and is a rip of compared to bangkok. 1 hour in air con taxi £3 in bangkok, 20min drive in hong kong £20 in a taxi..

Normal Thai taxis best in the World???

Even Thais concede that their taxis are dangerous, the drivers are often drunk or under the influence of drugs, have minimal training, can be dangerous for women alone at night, are poorly regulated and sometimes drive antiquated and unsafe vehicles! The positives are they are common and cheap.

Some of you need to get out of Thailand and have a reality check in a place that enforces motor safety laws and especially taxis properly. :bah:

they believe that Thailand is the best because that's what they are told.

Just took the g/f to Hong Kong last week.

Funnily enough she complained about the taxi driver on the way to Suvarnabhumi airport. She told him to slow down which he repeatedly refused to do.

When we took a cab in Hong Kong she asked, "why taxi here drive good?"

I responded, "Because they are mature adults and are punished if they disobey the laws, including those of the roads."

"Thailand no good, taxi no good", she replied. :lol:

Hotel.com does exist. Have used it many times. Go to the press release section and you will see last years survey. I could not find this years....

If Hotel.com does exist Could you be kind enough to send me the link? Many thanks

Cleanliness? Forget it!

Friendliness? OK.

Availability. OK.

Agree, Nothing to do with the above factors, just funny the first time.

Lots off noise, pollution and dangerous.

Don't understand that any hotel or hotel chain being involved in this type off BU$%#T.

Hopefully they not using the same company for there own survey.

Again whortless news.

It would be nice if people would read the article before posting there prejudices. The article was about travelers opinion's about the whole world. Not Bangkok residents opinions of traveling around Bangkok.

I live in Thailand and use Tuk Tuk's at least twice a week and have never paid more than 100 baht unless I asked them to hang around and take me back home.

I have used the metered cab at least once a week and have never paid less than 120 baht.

It is fairly obvious that most not all of the posters have no knowledge of the world out side of there own back yard and are quick to deny the possibility of what is not in there back yard.

There is indeed a difference in perspective whether you're visiting or living here in Bangkok (or Thailand). A wild ride with a tuk-tuk is accepted, but would lead to complaints to the police back home, go figure.

Living and working in BKK I use what is convenient which may be a mix of taxi-meter, motorcycle, tuk-tuk, BTS/MRT. It all depends on weather and traffic. I must admit, being able to tell where you want to go and how to get there also helps ;)

I would ask jayjay0 if he catches his tuktuk from the center of town near any hotels or from a local mooban. Yes some tuktuks are reasonable, friendly and cheap. These tuktuks normally service local moobans away from where all the foriegn tourist are located. The price also depends on the color of your skin and your grasp of the Thai language The demographics of this survey is foreign tourist.

Catching a tuktuk from town near any hotel and you will get ripped off. Some do offer cheap 30baht fares, but you will have to follow then to some ++massage parlor or highly prices jewelry store. The apparently get fuel coupons from these places.

Prejudice or not, bottom line I will not get a tuktuk from town. There are just so many more safer, cheaper and cleaner options. If traffic in town is at a gridlock, tuktuk does not help. The only fast options in this case in the subway or skytrain or with enough testicular fortitude, motorbike taxi. Not tuktuk.

Tuk Tuks are ok,livin in Makassan,used to shop Big C, thats now getting fixed,walk there do grocery shopping, tuk tuk back, backstreets thats thier forte, they can avoid endless gridlock going alleyways ,once they know your local you can get a fair rate,I use them, its more economical than m/c taxi for threee, plus shopping,now since R/S occupation I now have to go Carefourre Ratchada ,same same taxi there tuk tuk back 150 Baht.

.....................................Dino

What a joke that survey is!

Obviously no one has ever been to Hong Kong.

Here you get a comfortable air con taxi for a flag fall of HK$18 (B74),which covers most short trips, most drivers have a good knowledge of English and know their way around.

The very idea that they would not turn on the meter is unthinkable.

hong kong taxis are shit the fleet are from the 60,s and is a rip of compared to bangkok. 1 hour in air con taxi £3 in bangkok, 20min drive in hong kong £20 in a taxi..

Oi dumbnuts, try and post about something you know about, or don't waste every bodies time.

20 quid or HK$245 would get you to Sai Kung and back. You didn't even address the language skills, or lack of, of the BKK taxi drivers. So, with respect, you are talking crap.

I would ask jayjay0 if he catches his tuktuk from the center of town near any hotels or from a local mooban. Yes some tuktuks are reasonable, friendly and cheap. These tuktuks normally service local moobans away from where all the foriegn tourist are located. The price also depends on the color of your skin and your grasp of the Thai language The demographics of this survey is foreign tourist.

Catching a tuktuk from town near any hotel and you will get ripped off. Some do offer cheap 30baht fares, but you will have to follow then to some ++massage parlor or highly prices jewelry store. The apparently get fuel coupons from these places.

Prejudice or not, bottom line I will not get a tuktuk from town. There are just so many more safer, cheaper and cleaner options. If traffic in town is at a gridlock, tuktuk does not help. The only fast options in this case in the subway or skytrain or with enough testicular fortitude, motorbike taxi. Not tuktuk.

As you say being seen as local or just another farang tourist makes a difference. Even as 'local' you have to negotiate heavily at hotspots. As for the 'testicular fortitude', have you also noticed that when you take a motorcycle taxi, the ones without working speedometer seem to go fastest?

Whenever someone visits thailand, I tell them to take the Tuk Tuk once, for the "experience, then the A/C taxi, because it's safer, more comfortable and CHEAPER!

We did some test with my thai wife. I stay out of sight and she asks the price for trips we regularly do. In central Bangkok, the price for short trips in Tuk Tuk is 9 times out of 10 higher than in a normal Taxi.

What I have never understood is since tuk tuk driver's can charge anything they want, why doesn't at least 1 driver put a meter on his tuk tuk, set the flag drop at 10 baht less than an air conditioned taxi, and have at it.

My guess is they could get over 100 trips a day once everyone knew about them. They certainly have the advantage over air conditioned taxis in price. Their fuel economy is better, they can use NGV just like the taxis, and there is no rental charge per day for the vehicle.

Is every single tuk tuk driver really that stupid that they don't see the incredible market available by undercutting the air conditioned taxis? My back of the envelope calculations say that one with even half a brain could make 40,000 baht a month or more if they found the right location and boldly advertised metered, cheap service. Has even 1 driver ever tried this in the history of tuk tuk service?

For myself, I have never taken a tuk tuk in Bangkok. In over 10 years of living here not even once. There is no point to them.

Stick a meter on them and undercut the regular taxis on price. Then they serve a useful purpose. Otherwise they are nothing more than an eyesore and a menace on the roads.