The Most Expensive Beer In Thailand?

BWPattaya

I went into The Huntsman pub on Sukhumvit the other evening, partly to shelter from the rain. Ordered a small Kronenburg. When I had finished I was given another glass. Apparently it was Happy hour. When I had emptied my glass I asked for the bill and was shocked to be asked for 340Bt. That would have made a pint 680Bt. I have never in eleven years queried a bar bill before but I couldn't let this go. The bar staff said that it was that price because it was happy hour. Happy for who? Certainly not for the customer.

I went into The Huntsman pub on Sukhumvit the other evening, partly to shelter from the rain. Ordered a small Kronenburg. When I had finished I was given another glass. Apparently it was Happy hour. When I had emptied my glass I asked for the bill and was shocked to be asked for 340Bt. That would have made a pint 680Bt. I have never in eleven years queried a bar bill before but I couldn't let this go. The bar staff said that it was that price because it was happy hour. Happy for who? Certainly not for the customer.

Try a small bottle of Singha at the top of State Tower; last time I was there (as a guest) I think it was 360++. I also noticed there that a small glass of the cheapest possible Thai whisky was more expensive than the whole bottle at a 7-Eleven. I guess that bringing the drinks up to the 64th floor involves a lot of extra costs...

I know the thread is about Thailand but to put it into perspective a pint of Guinness in the Hard Rock Cafe, Itaewon, Seoul is around nine pounds sterling :shock1: , plus plus :shock1::bah: .

I made do with a small bottle of Cass at three quid and left never to return.

Two minutes walk away in 3 Alleys Pub the same pint of G is circa three pounds.

You should have asked if the happy hour deal was 340 Baht, all you can drink.