To An Old Friend

mr_hippo

How long has it been? 19 years? So, today, we went on our last ride and now you are retired but haven't you had more retirements than Frank Sinatra?

I first saw you posing in a NashBar bicycle catalogue, resplendent in your red colour scheme and bright yellow lettering and knew that you were the one for me. I was working in Saudi at the time and because my company offered free shipping from the States, I ordered you.

Remember our first ride? From the compound down into Khamis and back – you coped very well with the hill but me….. We had some great rides out there – the Hanging Village, Wadiyain and who can ever forget our trips up Mt Soudah. Back in England and all those great rides and great adventures and finally, you joined me in Bangkok.

My first job was to give you a new facelift and that great red, white and blue paint job that people admire so much. Remember getting lost when we were on our first Thai century? Mrs Hippo was frantic with worry when she arrived home from work before us, I think you and I were both exhausted but happy!

You are 19 years old, only the frame and forks are original, your frame is slightly out of true and I don’t want to cause you more pain by having it cold bent so what am I going to do with you now?

I won’t sell you nor will I cannibalise you. I can’t scrap you because we have been through so much together so you are now head of the Hippo bike stable.

Your replacement? Yes, I have bought a new bike – Trek 520 – but it is not a replacement for you; you are irreplaceable!

Thanks for all the miles and memories!

lasthippo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...