How To Fund Studying A Masters In The Uk?

Erawan

I know everyone's attention will be largely focused on the London bombings, especially as there's a fair few Brits on the board here - I know it's on my mind, but I would like to take my mind off it, if just for a moment.

I've a (Thai) friend who would like to study their Masters in the UK next year and let me tell you, it's not going to be cheap! Bt3,000,000 apparently (the course itself is £12,000 a year), so the only thing we can think of is getting a scholarship somehow.

I just wanted to ask you folks to see if any of you have any experience or insight on this subject. Maybe you have some blueprints of a bank and know the guard change on Tuesday night, when Reggie is on duty is the best time to strike or something. This has got to be feasible somehow.

Why should tax payers in the UK have to foot the bill, and allow some forienger to nick his or her daughter's schollarship funds? Makes no sense to me.

No-one 'nicks' anyones elses funds. There are usually seperate scholarships for nationals and non nationals, and many of them are sponsored by private companies or associations...In ancycase, British students benefit from heavily subsidised fees anyway.

And, you shouldn't view the scholarship as useless throwing away of money. Remember, the people who get the scholarship are usually extremely bright to begin with and are destined to be the leaders and people of influence in their own country. Educating the in your own country helps them gain an affinity for it, so that when your government 'needs' something later down the track, they are likely to get a more sympathic hearing.

Since the 50's and 60's Australia has fallen over itself to try and educate Asia's best and brightest and it has borne fruit for Australia. Half of Malaysia's Ministerial cabinet was educated in Australia. So was a fair chunk of Singapore's cabinet.

No secret that many of Thailand's senior bureaucrats send their kids to Australia and NZ too. No suprise then that both Australia and NZ have been able to formalise FTA's with Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand recently, providing their exporters preferential access to those markets.

A lot will depend on which university your mate is going to study at, and whether the fee includes accomodation etc. Many unis charge overseas students ludicrous amounts just because they know that the students would like the kudos of having studied in Britain.

I applied to do an distance learning MBA and my preferred options were Leicester and Oxford. Leicester's fees were £7,200 for a 2 year course, while Oxford wanted £38,000 for an 18-month course (guess which one I chose). The general idea is that most overseas students are funded by their employers, who are deemed to have very deep pockets.

Get your mate to contact the uni and explain carefully that he/she is self-funding and really wants to study there, as opposed to anywhere else.

Please PM me if you want any more details.

I know everyone's attention will be largely focused on the London bombings, especially as there's a fair few Brits on the board here - I know it's on my mind, but I would like to take my mind off it, if just for a moment.

I've a (Thai) friend who would like to study their Masters in the UK next year and let me tell you, it's not going to be cheap! Bt3,000,000 apparently (the course itself is £12,000 a year), so the only thing we can think of is getting a scholarship somehow.

I just wanted to ask you folks to see if any of you have any experience or insight on this subject. Maybe you have some blueprints of a bank and know the guard change on Tuesday night, when Reggie is on duty is the best time to strike or something. This has got to be feasible somehow.

For distance learning, try the Open Univeristy. Their Postgraduate courses are listed here: http://msds.open.ac.uk/stephigher/qual.asp...0507051150_1857

Don't know if they offer scholarships to non-UK persons though.

djmm

University of London offers undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate degrees by distance learning:

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/

In fact this coming Wednesday evening, 13 June, the Deputy Head of Admissions will be making a presentation titled "Studying via Distance Learning" at the British Council (02 652 5480 - ext. 305/333) which is located in Siam Square. Free admission.

-redwood

Why should tax payers in the UK have to foot the bill, and allow some forienger to nick his or her daughter's schollarship funds? Makes no sense to me.

This is a ridiculous comment, in fact I don't even know why I've bothered to....

You have to sometimes Wilko, as simplistic arguments are easily digested by many people who then take them as fact.