Guard Dogs

Nip

When research has been done after fatal dog attacks it is often the case that, despite the owner maybe saying otherwise, the dog in question had shown signs of previous aggression and so should have been supervised more closely. There are usually other similarities such as no training/socialization, had been abused/uncared for, had been used as a guard dog and therefore had some sort of aggression training. These are just a few things that can cause a dog, any dog, to be mentally unstable and potentially dangerous.

It is NOT breed specific which is why if you are out with your kids and you choose to go out of your way to avoid my 'mutt' then it is due to an irrational fear that you have, would you also go out of your way if I had a Golden Retriever or Dalmation? My Rottweiler has been attacked by quite a few dogs people consider harmless, including those two breeds, and has never retaliated. It's not 'very common' that these dogs are owned by 'chavvy low life' actually it's just that the media portrays this image as it sells papers and then naive sheep, who form opinions based solely on the cr@p they read , believe it. And the dog owners aren't biased it's just that they are giving their opinion based on their own personal experience while people like you, who have no experience of these dogs, have an opinion based on a stereotype and nothing else.

In a country like Thailand with so many people drink-driving you are much more likely to be killed/injured by a drunk-driver than a dog, I bet you happily drive around at night with your kids in the car!

So using a dog as a guard dog makes it less suitable as a family dog? That sounds completely different from earlier opinions in this thread.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been watching QI on the BBC iplayer and heard something quite interesting. The biggest way you can benefit the world ecologically, (and legally, getting rid of a human doesn't count) is getting rid of your family dog. Keeping a dog is the equivalent to keeping two Toyota Land cruisers. Something to do with the meat it eats.

One cat is the equivelant of a VW Golf :lol:

I just wanted to share this because I thought it was very surprising and interesting, I am NOT seriously suggesting people should get rid of their dogs to help the environment.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

Firstly, low lives using know to be aggressive dogs as weapons, has absolutely nothing to do with the media selling papers. I see it with my own eyes every time I walk down a UK high street. Bull terriers are normally their choice but rottwiellers are used as well. The obvious reason for this is their well documented ability to be made aggressive.

You're right. I do not avoid Labradors in the same way I would breeds like yours, but I don't believe for one second that it is irrational. If you take one of each and raise them both badly, the rotty will be far more dangerous than the lab. How can you compare them like for like. Which one weighs the most? which one is the most powerful? Which one has the biggest most powerful jaw and bite? The answer to all those questions is the rotweiller.

I'll ask you the same question as the other poster. If an English bull terrier or doberman is coming toward you and the kids in your care, you have no way of knowing how stable or well trained they are, how close do you let them get before you feel that you may be in danger? Are you telling me that you would never feel any danger in that situation?

If you can answer one question for me then I'll know exactly where we stand. Do you believe that there is 0% chance, not 0.00001 but 0% that your or anybody else's well trained rottweiller could ever make a mistake and bite the wrong person. Maybe he was tired, hungry, confused. Maybe he miss read some signals and thought you were in danger when you weren't. Are you happy to say that that could never ever happen, not even a fraction of a percent chance?

If your answer is yes, 0% chance then I'm afraid you are very deluded. If your answer is that there is a tiny percent chance, then I would like to know what makes you think you have the right to take that chance with other people?

You say driving at night is also dangerous due to drink drivers. Aren't you comparing yourself to a drunk driver when you say that? Are you saying because there are so many other risks it makes it OK for you to take some as well?

I'm not going to compare you to the low life, because you are obviously a responsible dog owner. But the fact of the matter is people like you are using those dogs as a form of weapon as well. You enjoy the security they provide you. The feeling of safety when they are around you. This is one of the key reasons for them being the dog you chose to own. The problem is, your security comes at the cost of a slight chance an Innocent person will get hurt. The fact that people like you think that is an acceptable risk is what's so selfish.

Where do you draw your line. Would you go in a room with a lion, just because its owner told you it was safe to do so because he was trained, and he was the alpha male? That is an exaggerated example of the exact same thing you are asking other people to do.

ANY dog has the potential to bite, it's not breed specific and so you should be wary of every dog, not just ones that you THINK are more of a threat.

My friends Labrador is heavier than my female Rottweiler and so is a colleagues Retriever.

I have been chased and almost bitten on numerous occasions here in Thailand, the UK, India and Australia, none of which were by a Rottweiler/Bull Terrier/Doberman etc etc and of all the people I know who have actually been bitten by a dog, none have been by a Rottweiler/Bull Terrier/Doberman etc etc.

NO dog owner can be 100% sure that their dog won't bite but there is a lot less chance if the dog is properly trained/socialized and not trained to be aggressive or abused etc

NO, I'm not comparing myself to a drunk-driver at all, I'm saying you should be more concerned with more realistic threats to your childs safety than a dog biting it, drink-driving is a very real and genuine threat if you were to compare the statistics whereas a dog attack isn't.

My dog isn't a guard dog, she's a family pet and has been reared as a family pet. Yes, like any dog, she will bark if someone approaches our house and that's it, she's never showed any other sign of aggression to anyone or anything, not once. We didn't choose her because of her breed, that wasn't a consideration.

A Lion is, and always will be, a wild animal. Comparing it to a well trained and socialized family pet is ridiculous!

Dogs who are used as guard dogs have probably had some sort of aggression training which, IMHO, makes them slighty less suitable as a family pet. But I know of police-dog handlers who take their dog home each day to their family who would disagree with me.

Have you ever been attacked by a Rottweiler/Bull Terrier/Doberman/German Shepherd or any other dog for that matter? I'm guessing not but you have still formed an opinion about them which wou won't change despite what people who do have experience tell you. Cheerio.

On an ordinary dog show day like Crufts, the judge checks the teeth on approx 70 dogs. Most judges judge 20-30 weekends a year. For a rottweiler judge thats having your hand in a rottweilers mouth approx 1200 times a year. Most have never been bit.

I assume my hands have been inside the mouth of 3.000 different working dogs like doberman, rottie, G shephard, boxer, briard. Of course my hands are inside my own dogs mouth weekly. NEVER been bit by any of them

+40 years with dogs, I have been bitten ONCE, 6 months ago by a street dog while standstill on motocy waiting to enter main road. He just attacked for no reason at all.

Any sensible training for a working dog makes them more suited as family dogs. Training is working together, achieving goals together, firmness and kindness, and the result is endless love from your dog to your family. If my kids go sit in the backseat of the car and trunk is open, dog jumps into trunk. Ever seen a 50 kg rottie in a Vios trunk with 2 suitcases :D

NO dog owner can be 100% sure that their dog won't bite but there is a lot less chance if the dog is properly trained/socialized and not trained to be aggressive or abused etc

That's exactly what I wanted to hear you say. That is why I would never be so selfish as to let my dog off his lead when in a public place. It's called respect. I guess you and the other people on this thread don't have as much of it as me. I would choose to go out of my way to find a suitable place for my dog to run rather than wanting people to be uncomfortable, while trying to enjoy a public place.

Have you ever been attacked by a Rottweiler/Bull Terrier/Doberman/German Shepherd or any other dog for that matter? I'm guessing not but you have still formed an opinion about them which wou won't change despite what people who do have experience tell you. Cheerio.

The only time I have been bitten by a dog is when my own Boxer dog bit me when I was 15. I was walking him ON A LEAD, around the street. An irresponsible dog owner had let their dog get out of their garden. The dog approached me barking and my dog instinctively went for it. I knew full well the outcome would be very ugly for the other dog, so I desperately tried to protect the other dog by getting in between them. My dog then bit me in the scuffle. It was 100% not my dogs fault he bit me, he was just doing his job, protecting his owner. I now have two small bullet hole scars on my leg, because I tried to protect an irresponsible pet owners dog.

I find it absolutely amazing that you will not accept the fact that an angry Rottweiller would be much harder to over power than an angry retriever. They are built so differently, that it would be clear to a 5 year old that the rottweiller could potentially pose more of a threat. What about Pitt Bulls and their locking jaw?? are you saying that poses no more threat than labradore as well??

Anyway, this thread can be summed up easily. You are prepared to take a tiny chance that your dog will hurt some body. I'm not.

I've just been watching QI on the BBC iplayer and heard something quite interesting. The biggest way you can benefit the world ecologically, (and legally, getting rid of a human doesn't count) is getting rid of your family dog. Keeping a dog is the equivalent to keeping two Toyota Land cruisers. Something to do with the meat it eats.

I just wanted to share this because I thought it was very surprising and interesting, I am NOT seriously suggesting people should get rid of their dogs to help the environment.

I wouldn't be too worried, the earth was here doing fine well before humans and will no doubt be here well after we've gone. The two legged animal called man is the cause of most problems we have. Don't bring poor dogs into our self created mayhem. That's blame shifting of Thaksin-like proportions. :lol:

When you watch these so called "documetaries" have a close look when they run the credits. More often than not they are funded by the "Rockefeller Foundation" or some other fear mongerer like George Soros. These people will be flogging carbon credits and pocketing carbon taxes before we know what has happened. The BBC has no credibility anymore.

I remember high school. Suzuki, Erlich and co. were warning of a coming ice age. By the year 2000 we were supposed to be all eating each other in a mad max style existence of kill or be killed. These "scientists" are completely unable to admit they have no real idea of what's really going to happen. After all, there are no grants or sponsorships available for a thesis on "I'm totally clueless what will really happen in the future"

I just want to hear the likes of Richard Dawkins just once say. "I don't know"

I wouldn't be too worried, the earth was here doing fine well before humans and will no doubt be here well after we've gone. The two legged animal called man is the cause of most problems we have. Don't bring poor dogs into our self created mayhem. That's blame shifting of Thaksin-like proportions. :lol:

When you watch these so called "documetaries" have a close look when they run the credits. More often than not they are funded by the "Rockefeller Foundation" or some other fear mongerer like George Soros. These people will be flogging carbon credits and pocketing carbon taxes before we know what has happened. The BBC has no credibility anymore.

I remember high school. Suzuki, Erlich and co. were warning of a coming ice age. By the year 2000 we were supposed to be all eating each other in a mad max style existence of kill or be killed. These "scientists" are completely unable to admit they have no real idea of what's really going to happen. After all, there are no grants or sponsorships available for a thesis on "I'm totally clueless what will really happen in the future"

I just want to hear the likes of Richard Dawkins just once say. "I don't know"

Have you not seen QI? Give it a go I reckon you'd like it. It's a comical look at facts rather than a documentary, which I agree can often be inaccurate and biasd.

Have you not seen QI? Give it a go I reckon you'd like it. It's a comical look at facts rather than a documentary, which I agree can often be inaccurate and biasd.

Well it's political correctness that really annoys me. Fox TV is very funny. Dogs have been great victims of political correctness. In Australia there are 3 signs full of rules and laws at the beach. You need to read a law book before taking your dog for a walk.

You see council workers with those portable fine machines, even at the beach. It's beyond ridiculous. I find I rarely leave home in Australia because of these speeding cameras, red light cameras etc. I find myself speedo watching and stressed out from watching for some fine seeker. It's become another form of taxation.

They call it the "Nanny State" where I live. Last time I went home I found my dog had been desexed and I had been fined $600 for having and unlicensed dog. I had indeed registered my dog and had him micro-chipped as well.

The council had franchised the dog registering and micro chipping to a private company who had not passed on the details of my dog to the council. The lady living next door complained about my pommeranium barking and the ranger pounced saying the dog was unregistered and he ordered it desexed or he would impound it.

I nearly blew a fuse when I got home and went beserk, the lady next door left with her suitcase and has not been seen since after I abused her. Then I found out my house had been insulated by 3 Indians for free........ :angry:

Now that's another story. At least you still have a certain amount of freedom here. Cherish it as it won't last. :whistling:

At least you still have a certain amount of freedom here. Cherish it as it won't last. :whistling:

That freedom you talk about is Thailands greatest asset. We call it a nanny state in the UK as well, and it makes life there unbearable.

The thing is though, the more freedom we have, and the more we are left to make our own decisions, the more important it is for us to have common sense and respect for others. You take a reletively lawless place and fill it with decent people, then you're laughing. Fill it with arrogant, selfish people and you may start to wish there was someone giving out tickets again.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear you say. That is why I would never be so selfish as to let my dog off his lead when in a public place. It's called respect. I guess you and the other people on this thread don't have as much of it as me. I would choose to go out of my way to find a suitable place for my dog to run rather than wanting people to be uncomfortable, while trying to enjoy a public place.

The only time I have been bitten by a dog is when my own Boxer dog bit me when I was 15. I was walking him ON A LEAD, around the street. An irresponsible dog owner had let their dog get out of their garden. The dog approached me barking and my dog instinctively went for it. I knew full well the outcome would be very ugly for the other dog, so I desperately tried to protect the other dog by getting in between them. My dog then bit me in the scuffle. It was 100% not my dogs fault he bit me, he was just doing his job, protecting his owner. I now have two small bullet hole scars on my leg, because I tried to protect an irresponsible pet owners dog.

I find it absolutely amazing that you will not accept the fact that an angry Rottweiller would be much harder to over power than an angry retriever. They are built so differently, that it would be clear to a 5 year old that the rottweiller could potentially pose more of a threat. What about Pitt Bulls and their locking jaw?? are you saying that poses no more threat than labradore as well??

Anyway, this thread can be summed up easily. You are prepared to take a tiny chance that your dog will hurt some body. I'm not.

So do you want every dog to always be on a leash? Or just breeds that YOU deem to be inherently dangerous? How about the thousands of Soi dogs that people just let roam around in packs that have had no training or socialization, you're fine with them are you?

I walk my dog at 6am every morning at some local gardens and see perhaps 6-8 people during that time who are usually exercising, walking their dog or tending to the gardens. She is off her leash during this time and if/when she does meet people she usually goes and greets them with a little wag of her stump and plays with any other dogs she meets. All the other people who meet her on a daily basis know her by name and, despite some being wary at first, now stroke her and play with her. I don't walk her at this time because I'm worried she'll bite someone it's because it's a convenient time.

All my neighbours on the Moo Baan where I live know her and are fine with her too as are the local children, actually everyone who ever meets her always says she's a lovely dog. But this means nothing to you does it, she's a Rottweiler and therefore she is a threat, very narrow-minded!

The tiny chance my dog will hurt someone is probably a lot less likely than the possibility that you might hurt someone whilst driving your car. Or maybe one of our kids will hurt someone when they grow up, should everyone be sterilized until the world is just inhabited by dangerous dogs? Stick to your QI nonsense!

What about Pitt Bulls and their locking jaw?? are you saying that poses no more threat than labradore as well??

I'm no great defender of pitbulls but the 'locking jaw' myth is just that:

"-Is it true that Pit Bulls can lock their jaw?

The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of 'pounds per square inch' can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

So do you want every dog to always be on a leash? Or just breeds that YOU deem to be inherently dangerous? How about the thousands of Soi dogs that people just let roam around in packs that have had no training or socialization, you're fine with them are you?

Yes EVERY dog in a public place should be on a lead. If there was a park that had become synonymous with dog walkers then fair enough, I should be the one to find a different place. Most parks and beaches are synonymous with people/families relaxing and enjoying themselves. You as the dog walker are by far the minority, so it should be you who makes the sacrifice of going somewhere else, or keep the dog on a lead.

As for constantly talking about soi dogs, that proves you have a very funny way of looking at things. They are for the best part, owner less dogs that no one takes responsibility for. How is that remotely comparable to you and your dog which you are 100% responsible for.

Stick to your QI nonsense!

Wow, you're getting me right were it hurts now, my choice of TV program!! :lol:

What about Pitt Bulls and their locking jaw?? are you saying that poses no more threat than labradore as well??

The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of 'pounds per square inch' can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Maybe not physical, but please don't tell me that they don't have a different mentality which in turn causes them to be much harder to pry off once they get hold of something. I have seen clips of pitt bulls being hit with planks of wood and not letting go. They are wired differently, there can be no doubt about that.

Just because there are no public studies of dog, jaw strengths doesn't mean they don't have them!! Are you trying to say that a chiwowa and a rottweiller have the same strength bite??

Edited by BangTaoBoy

Yes EVERY dog in a public place should be on a lead. If there was a park that had become synonymous with dog walkers then fair enough, I should be the one to find a different place. Most parks and beaches are synonymous with people/families relaxing and enjoying themselves. You as the dog walker are by far the minority, so it should be you who makes the sacrifice of going somewhere else, or keep the dog on a lead.

As for constantly talking about soi dogs, that proves you have a very funny way of looking at things. They are for the best part, owner less dogs that no one takes responsibility for. How is that remotely comparable to you and your dog which you are 100% responsible for.

there are several countries in the world requiring every dog in public area to be leashed all year or parts of the year. Fortunately Thailand is not one of them, and if this is the society you desire it should be easy for you to find. Dogs walk around in public areas unleashed in this country.

Must be hard to live here if you cant handle the security threat from free walking dogs or the crazy traffic, and want to try to change this society and its culture.

Most beaches in Thailand are deserted except for the occasional fisherman. I find that an excellent dog walking area

Most soi dogs are fed by the neighborhood, but walks freely around. TiT

Edited by katabeachbum

I think your out on very deep water and point of no return, is this dog tread gone deep inside you, why dont you just say all dogs should be banned from public places.

Maybe not physical, but please don't tell me that they don't have a different mentality which in turn causes them to be much harder to pry off once they get hold of something. I have seen clips of pitt bulls being hit with planks of wood and not letting go. They are wired differently, there can be no doubt about that.

Just because there are no public studies of dog, jaw strengths doesn't mean they don't have them!! Are you trying to say that a chiwowa and a rottweiller have the same strength bite??

No, I'm saying that pitbulls don't have locking jaws - no more - no less.

No, I'm saying that pitbulls don't have locking jaws - no more - no less.

I appreciate you were being imparcial, but that report was poinless, not sure where it came from. KataBeachBum didn't write it did he?:)

It was basically saying that their jaw, mechanicaly was no different to any other dog, that does not mean that they don't have the ability to lock their jaw, because they do. If you put your hand on something hot you will instantly pull your hand away. If you hit most dogs on the head with a house brick, they will let go of what they are biting. A Pitt Bull will not always let go when hit by a brick, which means however you want to word it, he has the ability to lock his jaw, all be it by a maniacal mental determination, and by having a different set of instincts and not by having a differently formed jaw.

theres a guy on soi naya in rawai, that has this crazy looking pitbull he takes off to the left in the jungle before the lake where there a hanging tire from a tree. The Dog Hangs from this tire, feet off the ground, thrashing about. It would seem it is being trained for fighting. In any case, whenever I see them I am happy he keeps that particular dog on a leash.

Edited by BillR

It was written by Dr Brisbin of the University of Georgia. Pitbulls hang on because they have very strong jaw muscles and because they have been bred to do so in the same way that bulldogs have. Neither breed have the ability to lock their jaw.

there are several countries in the world requiring every dog in public area to be leashed all year or parts of the year. Fortunately Thailand is not one of them, and if this is the society you desire it should be easy for you to find. Dogs walk around in public areas unleashed in this country.

Must be hard to live here if you cant handle the security threat from free walking dogs or the crazy traffic, and want to try to change this society and its culture.

Most beaches in Thailand are deserted except for the occasional fisherman. I find that an excellent dog walking area

Most soi dogs are fed by the neighborhood, but walks freely around. TiT

Am I mistaken or aren't there signs on lots of public beaches saying 'No Dogs'? I'm fairly sure I saw one last time I was at Nai Harn.

Saying that walking a pet dog on the beach is a part of Thai society is highly innacurate. Most Thais do not take pet dogs for walks on the beach. Soi dogs are a part of Thai society. The two things are not the same.

Motorbikes are a part of Thai society, so is it OK if I ride a motorcross bike on the beach? I'll come nice and early so there isn't too many people around and the risk would be as close to zero as being bitten by a dog, so that will be OK won't it?

I'm guessing you don't think that that's Ok behaviour. Funny that.

It is an amazing coincidence that peoples beliefs happen to coincide perfectly with what's best for them! Amazing how that works isn't it. That's were I'm different. I'm not being biasd because I don't have a dog. I love dogs and if I had one my beliefs wouldn't mysteriously change because it happened to suit me. The same as smokers who stop smoking one day and then complain about others doing it the following day.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

It was written by Dr Brisbin of the University of Georgia. Pitbulls hang on because they have very strong jaw muscles and because they have been bred to do so in the same way that bulldogs have. Neither breed have the ability to lock their jaw.

Fair enough mate, but all you are doing is playing with words. They can't lock their jaw but they can make it so no one can open it, due to very strong muscles. Mmmm for the sake of this argument I think we'll call that the exact same thing, don't you. ;)

Anyway the origonal point was that labradores and retrievers don't have that strength in their jaw, so as a result are nowhere near as dangerous, regardless of what the so called experts dog owners on this thread say.

Fair enough mate, but all you are doing is playing with words. They can't lock their jaw but they can make it so no one can open it, due to very strong muscles. Mmmm for the sake of this argument I think we'll call that the exact same thing, don't you. ;)

Anyway the origonal point was that labradores and retrievers don't have that strength in their jaw, so as a result are nowhere near as dangerous, regardless of what the so called experts dog owners on this thread say.

I fully agree that pitbulls (and bulldogs, mastiffs, cane corsos and all the large molossers) have tremendously powerful jaws with which they can do huge damage. I was just pointing out that pitbulls don't have some magic kind of jaw that's unique to them.

I fully agree that pitbulls (and bulldogs, mastiffs, cane corsos and all the large molossers) have tremendously powerful jaws with which they can do huge damage. I was just pointing out that pitbulls don't have some magic kind of jaw that's unique to them.

Point taken.

You seem to know a bit about dogs. Would you agree that as a result of these jaws, the threat they pose is greater than in other breeds? I'm talking like for like. Both dogs having the same level of training etc.

The bigger a dog is obviously the more damage it's going to do if it goes on the rampage but you also have to take into account the characteristics that have been bred into it. The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 in the UK made it illegal to own or breed the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa Inu, Dogo Argentina or the Fila Brasilerio. The pitbull, tosa and dogo were originally bred to fight whereas the fila whereas the fila was bred to protect its owners and to be 'aloof' with strangers. An extract from Wiki:

"The Fila Brasileiro is an excellent estate guardian. It does not hide its dislike towards strangers, but these dogs are not disqualified from the show ring for showing aggression to the judges. Such aversion is instinctive in Filas, so much so that the Brazilian breed standard advises judges not to touch the dog."

The Fila is bred to dislike strangers which makes it inherently dangerous if you are one of those strangers.

Because of their similarity to pitbulls Staffordshire Bull Teriers have become very popular in the UK. The irony is that staffies make very poor guard dogs. They're more likely to lick you to death that attack you :lol: