Road Traffic Regulations

Done a whole lot of googling but cannot find the Thai traffic laws in English.Does such a translation exist?

This is from STICKMAN:

RULES OF THE ROAD IN THAILAND

In order to successfully drive a motor vehicle in Thailand you must understand the transportation gestalt in an entirely different way. Definitions which you once thought were above definition will be immediately re-defined.

Please note the following:

THE ROAD

The road includes not only the paved portion of the highway, but also what we might call the verge, the curb, the sidewalk, the front yard, the roadside footstalls and the Wat. The paved portion of the roadway is generally one lane wide. Not one lane wide in each direction – just one lane.

ROAD MARKINGS

These colorful white and yellow lines mark the center of the lanes and are especially useful on dark and rainy nights.

PASSING OR OVERTAKING

Passing or overtaking is the national pastime in Thailand. Observant motorists among you may have encountered the following:

1. The Vertical Triple Maneuver

The act of passing three vehicles in one accelerated movement.

2. The Horizontal Triple Maneuver

The act of passing a vehicle that in itself is in the act of passing another vehicle.

3. The Double, Double Maneuver

The act of passing a vehicle at precisely the same time that another vehicle, coming from the opposite direction, is also engaged in the act of passing.

TAILGATING

Tailgating is what you do when not overtaking.

BEING OVERTAKEN

The act of being overtaken is an insult not to be endured. The greater the differential between the vehicle being passed (BMW) and the passing vehicle (pickup or a low ranking saloon) the greater the potential loss of prestige and face. The owner of the more expensive vehicle must always do everything possible to thwart the attempt of the less expensive vehicle attempting to overtake.

HEADLIGHTS

Rapidly flashing headlights can mean anything including but not limited to the following:

• OK to pass now.

• Do not pass now

• Get out of my way

• Help, I am in trouble

It takes years or sometimes an entire lifetime to learn this subtle, intriguing, and non-verbal communication skill. Generally however, you have three seconds

THE HORN

When sounded loudly and frequently, the horn sets up an invisible energy barrier protecting the vehicle and its passengers from all harm. The faster the vehicle is traveling, the better the horn works.

SEAT BELTS

Not only are seatbelts not worn, seatbelts are absolutely unnecessary. Driver and passengers are protected by the horn.

HAZARDS

Motorcycles will appear from nowhere and are to be treated with absolute and complete disregard. Animals on the other hand must be treated with great respect. It is presumed that highly evolved creatures like water buffalos, prized bulls, cows, chickens and ducks know how to sidestep a modern vehicle travelling at 150 Km. per hour on a rain slicked road. Dogs born in Thailand on the other hand possess an inbred instinct to leap in front of a speeding vehicle.

ACCIDENTS

Accidents are rare in Thailand and are usually the result of a malfunctioning horn. Be aware that most heavy vehicle drivers if involved in a serious accident will immediately leave the scene of and run to the nearest police station to inform them of the accident. This age old practice is commonly known as “fleeing the scene”

LIGHTS

Lights on vehicles are not needed especially at night as they are a drain on the battery. The larger the vehicle (10 wheeled truck, bus, etc.) the less need for illuminating it. Motorcycle riders are presumed to have 20/20 vision in the dark and are immune to all other traffic on the road. If lights are used however, at least one headlight must be pointing in the air. This will ensure that low flying aircraft are detected and will have the added advantage of blinding on-coming drivers.

INSURANCE

It is recommended that others purchase insurance. This will ensure that any foreigner involved in an accident will be in a position to take the blame and let the insurance company pay for any damage to both vehicles as well as all hospital bills.

Actually I think the standard of driving is OK here in Thailand. I have just spent 5 months in Pakistan and here is a copy of the rules for driving there.

Rules of the road Pakistan style

1. The assumption of immortality is a requirement of all road users.

2. Pakistani traffic is structured on a caste system and precedence is given in the following order,

Cows, elephants, heavy trucks, busses, official cars, camels, light trucks, buffalo, jeeps, ox-carts, private cars, motorcycles, scooters, auto-rickshaws, pigs, pedal-rickshaws, goats, bicycles carrying goods, handcarts, bicycles carrying passengers, dogs and pedestrians.

3. All wheeled vehicles are to be driven in accordance with the following maxim: to slow is to falter, to brake is to fail, to stop is defeat. This is the Pakistani drivers’ mantra.

4. Use of the horn (also known as the sonic fender or the aural amulet:

a) Short blasts(urgent) indicate supremacy i.e. in clearing dogs rickshaws and pedestrians from your path

:o Long blasts (desperate) denote supplication, i.e. to oncoming trucks, “I am going to fast to stop, so unless you slow down we shall both die”. In extreme cases this may be accompanied by a frantic flashing of headlights.

c) Single blast (casual) means: “I have seen someone out of Pakistan’s 150 million people whom I recognise”, “There is a bird on the road which at this speed could go through my windscreen” or “I have not blown my horn for several minutes”.

d) All horn signals have the same meaning (the actual size of the vehicle does not matter): “I have an all up weight of 25 tons and have no intention of stopping, even if I could”.

5. All manoeuvres, use of the horn and evasive action shall be left until the last possible moment.

6. In the absence (or non use) of the seatbelts, car occupants shall wear garlands of flowers. These must be fastened at all times.

7. Rights of way

a) Traffic entering a road from the left shall have the priority. So has the traffic from the right and the traffic in the middle.

:D All Pakistani traffic at all times and irrespective of their direction of travel shall occupy the centre of the road.

8. Roundabouts: Pakistan has no roundabouts. Apparent traffic islands in the middle of the crossroads have no traffic management functions. Any other impression should be ignored.

9. Overtaking is mandatory. Every moving vehicle is required to overtake every other moving vehicle, irrespective of whether it has just overtaken you.

Overtaking should only be done in suitable circumstances, such in the face of oncoming traffic, on blind corners, at junctions and in the middle of village/city centres. No more than 2 inches should be allowed between your vehicle and the one you are passing except in the case of bicycles or pedestrians when the limit is 1 inch.

10. Salvation may be obtained through a head-on crash.

11. Reversing: This is no longer applicable since no vehicle in Pakistan has a reverse gear.

Try  here  it  may  be  of  some  use  to  you.

http://driving.information.in.th/

"Traffic in Thailand drives on the left side of the road."

With an opening line like this one, the remainder of the information can be considered suspect at best! :o:D:D

Seriously, the license office (in Surin, anyway) has an English translation of the Thai 'highway code' with which to brush up your knowledge prior to taking the test. However, some of the regulations are ambiguous after translation (probably before translation also).

Edited by jayenram

My theory on Thai driving capabilities is:

When cars were introduced to British roads back in the early 20th century, they travelled at a speed in the region of 5 to 10 m.p.h. and it was a legal requirement for the vehicle to be preceeded by a guy walking and holding a red flag.

Now, my driving instructor of some 30 odd years ago probably never had to drive a vehicle with the preceeding red flag but it could be possible that the guy who taught him did. It has therefore been a gradual progression (at least in UK) from this early mode of driving to the situation we have today.

Now I'm not sure when Thailand's first car hit the road but I'm certain it was well into the 20th century and it would not have been a 10 m.p.h. vehicle. Therefore, the Thais were offered considerably faster cars than our forefathers without the advantage of the experience gained from the gradual progression over a hundred years.

Either that or they are all nuts!

Edited by jayenram

When cars were introduced to British roads back in the early 20th century, they travelled at a speed in the region of 5 to 10 m.p.h. and it was a legal requirement for the vehicle to be preceeded by a guy walking and holding a red flag.

Now, my driving instructor of some 30 odd years ago probably never had to drive a vehicle with the preceeding red flag but it could be possible that the guy who taught him did. It has therefore been a gradual progression (at least in UK) from this early mode of driving to the situation we have today.

Now I'm not sure when Thailand's first car hit the road but I'm certain it was well into the 20th century and it would not have been a 10 m.p.h. vehicle. Therefore, the Thais were offered considerably faster cars than our forefathers without the advantage of the experience gained from the gradual progression over a hundred years.

Though I am not a Brit I think UK drivers are the best in the world. I think it has a lot to do with the strict licensing.

Aletta , i think what you are after is called The Land Transport act. Im told that its a govt. publication with thai script on one side of the page and the english translation on the opposite side.

Supposedly this is available from larger branches of Asia Books but ive tried a few and havnt been able to lay my hands on a copy as yet.

Makes a lot of sense.

You must have thought of this one before noon :o

:D

Betty

The sad thing is that as the years pass here i seem to be subconciously picking up some awful Thai driving habits. :o

I believe that I made a fundamental mistake when I taught the FG to drive. I taught her the correct way (or British way if you like) which included, amongst other things, turning right/left at 90 degrees not the 45 degree turn that the Thais have adopted. When turning right she now has to put up with some pillock appearing on her right side in what is effectively an overtaking manouver. Oh well.