3Bb 3M Premier Vs. 8M Indy

Mr.Mr.

I am on 3BB 3M Premier package and I pay 1070 Baht plus tax. Now 3BB has new packages as 8M Indy for 888 Baht plus tax. Now I am thinking to switch to th 8M Indy package. Do any of you have made the switch already? If so, is the 8M better than the 3M Premier or do 3BB block something in the Indy package? I want to try the 8M Indy package, but I am worried that I can't switch back to my old 3M Premier once I have switched, because 3BB is offering only a new 5M Premier package at 2500 Baht and not the 3M Premier anymore. So what to do?

But on the 3BB web page they write, that the 8M Indy package is good for international stream TV! Nothing about that Premier is better for international anymmore.

I am currently on the 6mb indy package and very happy with it.

I have put in an application for 8mb/1mb which is cheaper than the 6mb but have to wait for my next billing cycle when they will change me over.

Until then I can't tell what 8mb is like. I know not much help but pretty pleased with my 6mb and i download heaps of torrents.

Edited by sammycic

I had the same thought as the OP. I'm also on 3MB Premier and am of course tempted by the many reports of people with 8MB saying it's fine. Problem is I've had Premier now for several years and generally am quite happy with the performance. I also remember very well exactly how poor all alternatives were before I got Premier. I worry that if I switch and find I'm not happy with it I can't switch back to my 3MB Premier again because they no longer have it (only 5MB Premier at more than twice the price).

Why don't y'all try it and let me know how it is? :)

I had the same thought as the OP. I'm also on 3MB Premier and am of course tempted by the many reports of people with 8MB saying it's fine. Problem is I've had Premier now for several years and generally am quite happy with the performance. I also remember very well exactly how poor all alternatives were before I got Premier. I worry that if I switch and find I'm not happy with it I can't switch back to my 3MB Premier again because they no longer have it (only 5MB Premier at more than twice the price).

Why don't y'all try it and let me know how it is? :)

I'll let you know what mine is like on the 28th August which is the day they are supposed to switch me over.At the moment my 6mb indy works great.

Actually for 2,500 you could have TRUE, 3BB and TOT altogether for less money and 15MB down.

I have never used premier but 2,500bht for 5mb as against 8mb for 888bht sounds like the old two price system for Thais and farangs.

Edited by sammycic

well i'll definetly be looking over for new posts on this topic. I have the 3bb 5mb premier package. I live on koh samui never had any problems with TOT but I switched over to 3bb this year after reading various postings regarding the international gateway. If it seems like the 8mb package works really well I may start looking into it as well. My internet package right now costs me with tax 2,600 a month. I do know this though it seems that the amount of users that share the line for the internet changes on indy vs premier although thats what 3bb told me anyway.

Always the contrarian, I switched from 5MB Indy to 3MB Premier (about a year ago?).

The first few years on Indy were great, but as time went on, my download speeds got slower and slower. I think that the during first few years on Indy the contention ratio on my line was favorable, but after a while they started adding more users? I've been *much* happier with the 3MB Premier since I switched that I was the last couple years on 5MB Indy.

I have been using 8/1MB package for about a week after upgrading from 5MB/512 package and I'm extremely UNHAPPY about the result.

While I was on 5MB indy, I could get D/L speed(mostly torrents)300-600kbps, however with this new 8MB package, I get normally 5-20kbps. :annoyed:

The strangest part is "speedtest.com" tells me my D/L speed is 7.56/0.95MB almost any time of the day regardless of locations. :blink:

I get lots of "timed out" "...reset.." error messages,too.

Oh !@#$%!!!

J/C

ps;I don't know if this is related to 3BB internet, but very strangely D/L speed gets better when using OS X(snow leopard) than Win 7.

I use the same torrent clients-utorrent. :blink:

I have been using 8/1MB package for about a week after upgrading from 5MB/512 package and I'm extremely UNHAPPY about the result.

While I was on 5MB indy, I could get D/L speed(mostly torrents)300-600kbps, however with this new 8MB package, I get normally 5-20kbps. :annoyed:

The strangest part is "speedtest.com" tells me my D/L speed is 7.56/0.95MB almost any time of the day regardless of locations. :blink:

Oh !@#$%!!!

J/C

ps;I don't know if this is related to 3BB internet, but very strangely D/L speed gets better when using OS X(snow leopard) than Win 7.

I think speedtest is not good.. find an other one.. I get top speeds with it all the time too even when my connection sucs. Maybe they do some traffic shaping here.

If you stream a lot of video and/or need to upload as well as download on P2P sites DON'T change to Indi. Download speeds are very erratic, especially at popular times, so when streaming live TV/sport (live football for example) continual buffering is a real problem, and upload speeds are almost non existant, so if you get your 'home country TV' from P2P sites (such as the box, uknova, etc) and have to upload to maintain your ratio it will be impossible using Indie.

When Indi first came out as a cheaper alternative to Premier a friend switched and initially didn't seem to have any major problems but as more and more Thai people went on to the internet for the first time using these cheaper packages the problems started (more people sharing limited connections), they're getting worse and they're I doubt if things will improve in the immediate future.

lately primere is very slow, I pay for 4 MB but lucky to get 2 MB. I was suppose to be downgraded from 5 MB to 3 MB 3 months ago, now I have 4 MB but paying for 5MB keep calling to complain and getting no where. I was told someone would call me back. so far I have refused to pay the bill untell it is fixed, that was 3 weeks ago. 1 speeds are very slow, 2. CS is very very bad

before the speeds have been good, but with most Tahi ISPs after awile they over sale and the speeds get very bad, happen to true as well.

to sum up my issue I went to the 3BB shop and filled out the paper to change my plan from 5 MB to 3 MB. I went to the US for 2 months, come back with a 4,00 THB bill. I then checked my modem status page and it said 4 MB download, but on my bill I was getting chared for 5 MB. so very annoying to big issues all of wish I am getting over chaged and my change of plan never did happen ....what should I do???? no one willl fi it at 3 BB 3 weeks allready!!!! I am in Bangkok

lately primere is very slow, I pay for 4 MB but lucky to get 2 MB. I was suppose to be downgraded from 5 MB to 3 MB 3 months ago, now I have 4 MB but paying for 5MB keep calling to complain and getting no where. I was told someone would call me back. so far I have refused to pay the bill untell it is fixed, that was 3 weeks ago. 1 speeds are very slow, 2. CS is very very bad

before the speeds have been good, but with most Tahi ISPs after awile they over sale and the speeds get very bad, happen to true as well.

to sum up my issue I went to the 3BB shop and filled out the paper to change my plan from 5 MB to 3 MB. I went to the US for 2 months, come back with a 4,00 THB bill. I then checked my modem status page and it said 4 MB download, but on my bill I was getting chared for 5 MB. so very annoying to big issues all of wish I am getting over chaged and my change of plan never did happen ....what should I do???? no one willl fi it at 3 BB 3 weeks allready!!!! I am in Bangkok

Maybe because they no longer offer 3mb Premier?

It all depends what you're doing online. Now with more and more Content Delivery Networks (CDN) having Points Of Presence (POP) in Asia - even in Thailand, you don't use international bandwidth as much as you think. YouTube videos are served from Thailand, Facebook photos are served from Thailand, Flickr photos are served from Singapore, iTunes movies are served from Thailand (yes even in HD), etc...

If you do a lot of P2P and gaming with international peers - you might want to get the Premier plan. For web browsing, I don't see the big need for international bandwidth unless you spend your time on small sites that don't use CDNs with POPs in Asia.

Maybe because they no longer offer 3mb Premier?

Yeah, I'm curious what will happen (if anything) when I go prepay my next 6-month package of 3Mbps Premier. I suspect that we are "grandfathered" on the plan, but TiT *and* Ti3B, so who knows.

I've had the same p[roblem with 3bb, they keep saying a technician will call and never does. I am on the 5MB premier... extortionate price to pay for the cack that it is. International line my arse, if that were the case my gaming should be seemless, anytime I go online lately the connection is abysmal. Lets face it Thailand is Arcaic when it comes to the Internet. hel_l they can't even sort out 3 g. Too many idiots here trying to line their already lined pockets.

i've had it with 3BB

in a span of 2 weeks their "contracted techs" have been here 3 times. They don't even know how to use MS-DOS.

They don't even know what dropped packets and ping is even if my wife explained to them in thai.

Paying 1600thb for their so-called 3BB 10MB Pro they had. Im switching over to True and pay 1800thb/mth for 12mb line with promised international speeds.

Paid 2500thb for StarCraft 2 and until now i can't even play the dam_n game.

3BB cheats on speedtest.net. They're not even very clever about it, if you have a 23ms ping to the USA, you know it's fake. Ping should be between 200 and 300 ms.

I don't know how they do the faking, don't really care either, all that matters is speedtest.net is useless. I find it works to lesser known location though. Example I get the fake results to San Francisco (10mbit, 30ms ping), and 2.5Mbit and 250ms ping to Palo Alto, which is right next to San Francisco.

I am thinking to switch from my 10Mbit "pro" package to Premier. I think pro was supposed to have a 10:1 contention ratio - but I notice that Pro isn't available anymore, and the speeds have been bad for a month now so I don't think I get a 10:1 ratio now. Feels more like 1:25 or 1:50 (from past experience).

The only premier package 3BB still offers is 5Mbit for 2000 baht. Steep but if it works it will be worth it. True unfortunately doesn't deliver where I live.

On a totally unrelated though I wish they would offer bandwidth limited accounts that are not shared with anyone else. That way I'd get 10 GB / month (example) for a good price, and share only with others who have limited accounts. We could all do some torrenting but the pigs that are hogging the lines wouldn't interfere with us. A Belgian ISP released stats for their heaviest internet users - the biggest bandwidth hogs. The top guy had downloaded over 2TB of data in a month. Over 2,000 GB!! I don't want to share my lines with these people.

I am on the premier package, and very unhappy with the quality of the connection. I supposedly got upgraded to 4Mb/1Mb and pay 1090 baht p.m. However, my Belkin ADSL router reports something rather different:

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
3584 1279

Noise Margin
19 18

Output power(dBm)
9 5

Attenuation(dB)
126 167

3584Kbps is not 4Mbps. But what's worse here is that the attenuation is so poor that I cannot use VoIP any more - calls drop out within a few minutes. (When the ADSL was on the phone line, it was fine). I've checked my end of the wire, it's OK. I assume 3BB are connecting lots of subscribers over one wire (not possible if POTS subscribers are on the wire). The loss of usable VoIP is darn costly for me.

I don't need torrents or video or games, but I need VoIP. Am I likely to be better served by True?

Most Premier subscribers were recently upgraded to 3.5mb not 4mb. I am generally happy with my service. Skype works fine, Torrents come in fast.

I can only assume its pot luck - how far one is from the ADSL concentrator, physical line quality, how much user contention etc. etc.

VoIP does NOT work for me, and I'm looking for a solution. I've complained to 3BB, to no avail. Any comments about the wisdom of switching to True?

Thanks,

The Scribe.

I can only assume its pot luck - how far one is from the ADSL concentrator, physical line quality, how much user contention etc. etc.

VoIP does NOT work for me, and I'm looking for a solution. I've complained to 3BB, to no avail. Any comments about the wisdom of switching to True?

Thanks,

The Scribe.

I am in a neighbourhood with few farangs. I suspect I am one of the few using Premier in this area, which is why it works well for me.

I use premiere 4 mb. I had it for one year now. It worked great tell a few months back. Now I get very bad speed to the USA. I get less then 1 mb during peak times, 5 pm to 12 PM sometimes I get only 300 to 500 kps. They had my billing messed up, I was paying 2,500 for 5 MB but had only 4 mb!!! called to complain and was told they would check into it and I did not have to pay my billl. It has been nearly 2 months and I keep calling and just get told someone will call me back.... I use True a few years back and it was very very bad to. It seems no matter what one you use it will be good for a bit then get very bad and the bad can last months or even years!!! I try to call true and no one would even answer kept getting the message no one can speak english now then it would hang up!! If thailand had an ICT minister that would try to make things better and not just try to block and censer everything it could and would be much better. I am not sure what to suggest it sees they are bad.... I used http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test to San Francisco, seems to be more accurate on that site. when I can not watch a 1 mb video i go to that site and find my speed is indeed below 1 mb.

I use premiere 4 mb. I had it for one year now. It worked great tell a few months back. Now I get very bad speed to the USA. I get less then 1 mb during peak times, 5 pm to 12 PM sometimes I get only 300 to 500 kps. They had my billing messed up, I was paying 2,500 for 5 MB but had only 4 mb!!! called to complain and was told they would check into it and I did not have to pay my billl. It has been nearly 2 months and I keep calling and just get told someone will call me back.... I use True a few years back and it was very very bad to. It seems no matter what one you use it will be good for a bit then get very bad and the bad can last months or even years!!! I try to call true and no one would even answer kept getting the message no one can speak english now then it would hang up!! If thailand had an ICT minister that would try to make things better and not just try to block and censer everything it could and would be much better. I am not sure what to suggest it sees they are bad.... I used http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test to San Francisco, seems to be more accurate on that site. when I can not watch a 1 mb video i go to that site and find my speed is indeed below 1 mb.

Ur not the only 1.

I used to get 10mb constant during peak/offpeak times. Past month has been really crappy.

0.5mb to the US , Japan , Singapore , Australia.

Can't even play any online games.

I was upgraded from 6mb to 8mb Indy last night after a technician called me at 10P.M. to help me with the wrong username they had SMS me.

This morning I am downloading torrents at average speed of 900kb/s using a private tracker.

I am very happy with 3bb 8mb indy and was very impressed with their service in getting me going.

I am getting my 8mb down and 600kbs up on speedtest to Los angeles.

Oh !@#$%!!!

J/C

Now I'm getting 400-900 KB/down and 60-90KB/up speed and very satisfied. :rolleyes:

I assume, there had been sort of technical probs earlier?

Anyways, it's good to have a good d/l speed! :D

Cheers.

I made the switch from Premier today. The nice lady said 8m Indy would be slower. On Premier I was getting about 300kbs on torrents. With Indy I am now getting about 800kbs. Very happy. We'll see what happens when all the kids in the neighborhood get home from school. :o