Sun Dried Tomatoes

murni

Does anyone know where I can buy sun dried toms unsweetened? Those that Rimping sell have 5-8% added sugar & are not suitable for some of the breads I make.

I have been looking for a dehydrator to make my own but cannot find, again does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thankyou in advance

While we have not seen much of it lately, the answer for sun dried tomatoes is, the sun. Final answer.

Funniness aside you can dry them on low heat in the oven. The Royal Project is also doing some unsweetened semi dries tomatoes that are in olive oil. They are not so cheap but they are delicious.

Try Buonissimo off Chang Klan. They sell a bag of imported sun dried tomatoes for a decent price. You have to slightly rehydrate them.

the only dehydrators I have found are really expensive due to import taxes.

can google "DIY food dehydrator"

Fairly easy to make... just need heating element and fan . The only trick is how to prevent the heat from exceeding 60 C. Some people use a thermo coupler. 40 to 50 C range is ideal. Lower end of the range is best for preserving enzymes. Some foods need higher and some better lower.

Lot of vendors use sun. You will notice meat put out on a metal pan to sun dry beef etc.Downside of the sun is one day might not be enough to dry fully and spoilage could occur.

The sun method tends to sweeten what is being dried due to the creation of carmel from available sugars.

A slick setup would be a solar/ heat hybrid. Solar during the sun and heat at night or under clouds.

A cheap way is just low heat in a tray inside a oven etc

Funny you mentioned....... can google "DIY food dehydrator"

I was doing that and came up with lots of possibilities...using a hair drier with fan in a box seemed the easiest.

got me to thinking that why not use a burner on my gas stove turned down low and use a computer fan to move the air?? leaving your food overnight to dry. google found me a 1922 'Popular Science' magizine that had an article that reviewed just such a device, but no computer fan [convection instead]......why not??

Edited by jaideeguy

Why waste electricity in a country with abundant sun.

Here a solar dryer I built.

& the info I built it from.

1/3 this size would work fine.

There are air inlets on the forward side & outlets at the back.

Both with fly screen.

It works good, in fact sometimes it gets to hot & needs a bit of shade netting.

post-22588-059524600 1281584144_thumb.jp

post-22588-057434400 1281584168_thumb.jp

A Solar Food Dryer That Works.doc

I'm not suggesting you fly down to BKK but I did see some today in swampy at the royal project store in the domestic area just before the entrance to concourses A and B. I don't know if they were sweetened but I did pick up the package and I think they were grape tomatoes and they were 58b for a good size container. They were not packed in oil, just dry packed. They were next to the strawberries, which is why I was there, I love em.

Maybe they are new and will become available up here.