Pool Grout

PoolDoctor

We re-grout about 4 pools a month; this is a completely uneccessary situation if only pool owners or operators would manage their pH more closely. It is one of the more amusing parts of our job - we visit a hotel or pool, and explain about water chemistry. As they listen to us glassy-eyed, I can see their skepticsm. "Let's just go back to chucking a handful of chlorine into the pool" is written all over their face. Lo and behold, we are called back to drain, re-grout and refill the pool at a huge cost when compared to checking pH daily digitally. The world-wide standard of pH is 7.2-7.8. 80% of all pools we spot check have pH of about 3.0. Is it any coincidence I wonder that 90% granular chlorine (the favorite in Thailand) also has a pH of about 3.3? The chlorine has lowered the pH!. Low pH is acidic water, and water will dissolve just about anything over time. Why accelerate this then? Once the grout is gone, the next thing will be lifiting tiles. Ouch.

Managing pH also has another huge benefit - your eyes don't sting or hurt when under water. Why? Because the pH of the human eye is about 7.2. When pH is managed closely, only a very small amount of chlorine is needed to keep ORP levels sufficient for clean water. When pH is high, the water is alkaline, also not great because the oxidation ability of chlorine declines very rapidly at high pH levels - meaning you need 4 or 5 times the amount of chlorine in the water to reach a similar and sufficient ORP level. With all of these benefits then, why do customers continue to ignore pH? TIT. See pictures.

post-103402-098147900 1281417357_thumb.j

post-103402-015255900 1281417369_thumb.j

post-103402-009279200 1281417400_thumb.j

• Like 1

My pool is approx. 10 x 5 mts. kidney shape, 80k lts.

I think the grout has been treated unfairly and may need regrouting in the next few years.

About how much would this cost?

Thanks.

Dear OP,

your post is about grouting in a pool and my question directly refers to grouting.

Would it be possible to give me an answer?

My pool is probably average size for Pattaya ( 10 x 5 ) so an average answer would be acceptable.

Thanks.

My pool is approx. 10 x 5 mts. kidney shape, 80k lts.

I think the grout has been treated unfairly and may need regrouting in the next few years.

About how much would this cost?

Thanks.

Dear OP,

your post is about grouting in a pool and my question directly refers to grouting.

Would it be possible to give me an answer?

My pool is probably average size for Pattaya ( 10 x 5 ) so an average answer would be acceptable.

Thanks.

Perhaps you could supply more information such as tile size, including thickness of tile, & width of grout. These will have a direct bearing on cost to remove & replace.

Regrouting in Thailand is usually done at a total cost, rather than a price per sqm. There are many different types of grout, and brand names also. Also, the complexity of the job (stairs, grout width, tile type, etc) will affect pricing. Usually, there are broken tiles involved, and or replacement of fittings (e.g., returns, main drain, etc) and we try to look at the lights at the same time. Generally, when the pool is empty, we try to knock as many things out as we can. Refilling and re-balancing then is required, and a re start of all systems.

Gil