Suvarnabhumi Airport To Improve Quality, Eyes For Top Ten Spot On Global Rankings

webfact

Suvarnabhumi International Airport to improve quality, eyes for top ten spot on global rankings

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Airports of Thailand (AoT) has conducted a public hearing in a bid to revamp its quality of services and operations, eyeing to be in the top ten of the global ranking of airports.

More than 130 airport personnel and executives have attended the seminar to brainstorm ways to improve the services and operations at the national airport. According to Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport Nirand Theeranartsin, the objective of today’s seminar is to allow all personnel and executives to pinpoint areas where improvement is needed, such as ground services—checking boarding passes and passports. Suvarnabhumi Airport aims to climb up the ranking ladder, from its current 24th position, to be one of the ten best airports in the world, Mr Nirand said.

In a related report, 110,000 passengers arrived at the airport in July 2010, increasing a bit from June; however, it is still lower year-on-year. The number of tourists is expected to gradually increase during the high season, based on the assumption of domestic stability. Meanwhile, Korean tourists have resumed their traveling to the Kingdom.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-10 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Why bother!!! It has been the TOP low class airport in the world since its first day :whistling:

I'm no fan of Suvarnabhumi, but I guess it's not really as bad as some make out. I go in and out 15 or more times a year and can list dozens of faults that remain unrectified since opening. Inadequate airline signage on the road leading to the airport, too many signs once you are past Immigration at eye level and therefore impossible to see, an Arrivals area that is a compete disaster, poor F&B outlets etc, Re F&B, I like the food court in the basement of the east wing despite it being expensive, but the ones in the main departures 'corridor' are not just expensive they are really badly managed. For one recent early morning departure, I wanted a quick coffee, fresh orange juice and a croissant. I could only get all three if I purchased the American breakfast at 350 Baht + service. The continental breakfast - at a whopping 340 Baht! - did not include a croissant. When I asked if I could have the American breakfast without the eggs etc., I was told 'No!". Unbelievable!

I read yesterday that someone or some department is suggesting the issuing of smart cards which can be used at Immigration to speed the flow. The problem, apparently, is that passports have to be stamped, and it is the act of placing the stamp on 2 documents that seems to take the time (you could have fooled me!). So why do they not do what Hong Kong does? Permit Thai citizens with smart ID cards to use these cards in automatic scanners. The freeing up of a lot of Immigration staff will then make it so much faster for the rest of us. But i guess that's too obvious!

This airport will never attain a high international rating until it cleanses itself, once and for all, of the pirate taxi drivers, tour operators and hotel touts who constantly pester arriving passengers. But, because, Thailand is corrupt to the eyeballs, this problem won't go away, and it will remain a second class airport for the foreseeable future. They may have the odd little purge for public relations purposes, but it won't last more than a few days. They'll be back.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport to improve quality...

That's all they need to eye, forget the rest of it. Think of the user and not how high we can get the ranking to make us look good. For one, sort out the issue of bussing people to and from the aircraft for Pete's sake.

My pet peeve is if I have a six hour lay over I have to wait four hours to get my ticket unless I am traveling Business class. I guess it would not be so bad but it is in a big barn without the proper amount of seating in the high hours. or for that matter medium busy hours.There is no provision for the handicapped. For myself I can not stand still that long my back starts hurting and I have a broken foot. It would help if they policed it and did not allow a person to take up more than one seat when people are standing.

Edited by jayjay0

Aside from the layout of the arrivals, rip off restaurants, poor range of shopping, slow immigration, using buses instead of "tubes", poor AC, uncomfortable chairs, insufficient chairs, useless trolleys, closed off entrances and exits, bad signs, insufficient loos, too small arrivals and departure boards, lack of banks, lack of quality taxis, lack of smoking rooms, lack of affordable or free internet, inability to check in after midnight its a fabulous place.

At least the last time I was there they had got rid of the "End of the Walk" speech that echoed from one end of the building to the other.

I don't get the problem with the taxis- you get off your plane, go through immigration then just walk down stairs to the taxi rank , pick up your slip of paper and get a taxi- i've never been overcharged and i travel through the airport 2-5 times a month (did 40,000 miles last month, ugh).. Occasionally if i have alot of baggage ill take an AOT taxi- nice limo type car for 1,000 baht . So whats the problem with the taxis- where are all the touts??

Edited by ExpatJ

I flew into there yesterday. The queues of Arab and Indian tourists were huge and of course there were many issues with language and misunderstandings and passports and stamps, so they need more immigration staff, certainly.

Also the air conditioning has never been right inside the terminal, especially during the day. It is too hot on the ground floor, so, once into the duty free areas, I often stay on the lower ground floor, where it is cooler.

Introduce some competition in Duty-Free Shopping, even better kick the current contractor out !

Never going to happen, Vichai Raksriaksorn, the owner of King Power is now friends with the current government, and all charges against King Power for allegations of massive corruption in their monopolising the airports seem to have conveniently disappeared. It looks like he may also be buying Leicester City FC.

More on him here.

UNBREAKABLE GOLDEN EGGS

I don't get the problem with the taxis- you get off your plane, go through immigration then just walk down stairs to the taxi rank , pick up your slip of paper and get a taxi- i've never been overcharged and i travel through the airport 2-5 times a month (did 40,000 miles last month, ugh).. Occasionally if i have alot of baggage ill take an AOT taxi- nice limo type car for 1,000 baht . So whats the problem with the taxis- where are all the touts??

I am with you. I do not use it as much as you about every other month. But I read some of these posts and I have to wonder if they have ever been to Suvvarnabhumi Airport. I have been coming here ever sense it opened and maybe I was hit up by a tout once I can't remember. If I was I would not condemn the whole airport. Some of these posters would have you believe they know every thing about it. I seriously doubt that they have been through a quarter of it. Am curently here but having a devil of a time finding the hoards others seem to find.

I think they are TAT employies trying to make us think Thailand is a Tourist's Mecca.

If BKK really does want to be in the worlds top 10 airports, it's management should invite the executives of one of those highly rated airports to evaluate what needs to be done, rather than bounce the issue around 'in house'. These people either do not see problems from the passengers point of view, or are aware but won't admit it because that would imply that they haven't been doing their own jobs properly.

This will also never happen, as it will imply a complete loss of face from the CEO down. Any suggestion that outsiders should be brought in would almost certainly be dismissed with words to the effect of 'we will sort our own problems out thank you very much', just like during the 1997 financial crisis, when the then Thai Finance Minister was scathing about a suggestion in the Bangkok Post that Price Waterhouse should be brought in to evaluate the real value of Thai banks assets and the scale of 'non performing loans'.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport to improve quality...

For one, sort out the issue of bussing people to and from the aircraft for Pete's sake.

The problem is they can't sort that out! There are just too many flights and too few air bridge gates. It's that simple! There's only one relatively quick solution to that particular problem – move the low cost carriers over to Don Mueang. If the AOT takes the SIngapore/KL route and builds a cheap low cost carrier terminal at Suvarnabhumi, those passengers will still have to walk to the planes. But passengers on full service airlines will have a far better chance of getting air bridges.

If BKK really does want to be in the worlds top 10 airports, it's management should invite the executives of one of those highly rated airports to evaluate what needs to be done, rather than bounce the issue around 'in house'. These people either do not see problems from the passengers point of view, or are aware but won't admit it because that would imply that they haven't been doing their own jobs properly.

They have just done that! They've appointed people from Seoul's Incheon airport as their consultant. Incheon regularly hits the top three airports in the world list, apparently.

Glad to hear it. Lets hope that Bangkok take heed of the advice and implement their suggestions.

On a similar there, after making the headlines for all the wrong reasons, China Airlines appointed consultants from Lufthansa to improve their image and safety record, and it seems to have worked.

Edited by Nuff Said

Introduce some competition in Duty-Free Shopping, even better kick the current contractor out !

Never going to happen, Vichai Raksriaksorn, the owner of King Power is now friends with the current government, and all charges against King Power for allegations of massive corruption in their monopolising the airports seem to have conveniently disappeared. It looks like he may also be buying Leicester City FC.

More on him here.

UNBREAKABLE GOLDEN EGGS

If I could make a strong suggestion...do not patronize the duty free shops.

I have a lot of issues with the new airport but the taxi's?! You eat in the food court, walk outside one minute and maybe stand a minute in the queue, tell the person where you want to go - and go. trip back to the flat is about 250 incl airport B50 chg.

Anyone else notice all the dust and dirt now collecting on all that metal work? Looks like hel_l and must be great for allergies along with the air system.

I have a lot of issues with the new airport but the taxi's?! You eat in the food court, walk outside one minute and maybe stand a minute in the queue, tell the person where you want to go - and go. trip back to the flat is about 250 incl airport B50 chg.

I agree. I have never had to wait more than a few minutes for a taxi. And I have noticed from the paper the dispatcher hands out that some drivers have to wait well over an hour before they get a fare.