Thai Postal Service...

VTSVIEW

3month ago, I went to India to travel for a month, while I was there I mailed 6 post cards, two to Australia, two to South Korea, two to Thailand.

Post cards took 5 days to get to Australia and South Korea, but two that I sent to Thailand never arrived.

Now I am waiting priority mail from US(which sent two weeks ago from California),

Normal air mail take usually 3 weeks to receive from US, that is why I asked my friend to use Priority mail service.

It's not right to take this long, and I begin to wonder, what is wrong with Thai Postal service, or Am I not using a right postal service to send things to Thailand from US.

BTW, I live in Na Jomtien.

I recently had an urgent document sent from the UK by priority registered delivery that should have taken 3 working days to get to me.

It arrived in Thailand after 3 days and took a further 7 days to get from Bangkok to my address in Pattaya.

A total waste of money paying the extra charges from the UK as the delivery slows right down as soon as it touches down at Bangkok.

Even the "big boys" seem to have trouble. Using DHL, my package arrived in Bangkok within 24 hours from Europe.

Was able to track it online, and could see it took less than 24 hours to arrive, via Paris, Germany, Hong Kong.

Then about 5 days to get it out to my house address - about 3 hours drive from BKK.

The postal service is a total mess. Stolen packages, never arriving mail etc.

I don't understand why Thai people accept this.

I only use DHL for important things and they are usually reliable> Company addresses are also a plus compared to private ones,

I have had absolutely NO problems with the Thai postal system. I regularly get US Priority Mail from the States and it takes 5 to 6 days -- boxes shipped Priority take 7 days on the dot. I have received dozens of shipments, letters, etc, worth thousands of US dollars and have never lost anything. Yesterday, I received a letter sent by US First Class Mail. It was postmarked July 26 and arrived August 10 - 2 weeks, about normal for regular airmail. When I moved within Thailand, my old post office even figured out where I went so they could forward junk mail from the US (yes, even here, US junk mail follows).

I have heard of many stories similar to the poster's. I suspect that the unscrupulous Thai postal workers are at the local outlets. Both of my homes in Thailand have been in very small towns. Everybody knows the farang. I suspect that small towners have little problem with the Thai Postal Service but you big city folks are targets for theft. It is just too easy to grab stuff in the city, too much stuff, too many people and hard to prove the theft. Try having your stuff shipped to a friend in a smalll town.

I must admit I m not impressed with the quality and service on the post office ......In the last 2 years I have had 2 parcels and 6 letter that never arrived (and that is what I know of) ,But then again we are living in a third world country what esle should we expect :rolleyes:,But saying that Thailand still beats rip off Britain hands down in my opinion:jap:.

Whilst holidaying in Australia last year,I posted a parcel containing one pair of jeans,two shirts and two T-shirts..........

It never arrived at my Thai address.

So,after two months I went to the Postal depository in North Pattaya where I was more or less told to 'f*** off'.

Nowadays when I'm out and about I keep a eye out for my shirts and T-shirts altho I don't like my chances.