Road Construction/Maintenance

coldfusionPaul

i thought it might be useful if folks would report locations of road construction/maintenance & save some other rider some grief.

seen 7-aug-2010:

• #305 southbound from south of ongkharak to around khlong 14 resurfacing work, reduced to one lane. MTB probably ok, not so good for road bike (north bound ok)
  • #33 eastbound from whian dang to ban na ripped up in several places, not so good for road bikes (west bound ok)
  • #3025 (khlong 12) road bikes might stick to the east side of canal, west side ripped up in several places as well as a 200-300 meter "gap" were the pavement projects didn't overlap ;-) need to switch to the west side just before sananrak municipality & road bikes have to hoof it last 1-2km no matter.
  • #3312 (lum sai-lum lukka) is still ripped up in several places (i guess its been like this for 2-3 years). not so good for road bikes but passable if careful & don't mind the wear & tear on the tires.

• 2 weeks later...

seen 21-aug-2010:

• inbound route 305 is choked off around khlong 14, the rest is more or less passable on a road bike
  • route 3481 (back route to prachinburi from nongchok/minburi) has a few construction sites including an amazing bridge over absolutely nothing that requires hoofing around
  • inbound route 304 is ripped up in a few places (left lane of course) starting about 10 km from suan siam (there were two police checkpoints in & outbound near the 3481-304 sala daeng intersection, looked like local cops)

in all my years here have never seen such a frenzy of road construction.

as soon as a i can work up an app, try to put these on a map.

Hi,

very useful information. Much appreciated!

You may want to check this online map out whether it is possible to add/delete temporary road condition information:

http://map.longdo.co...map=1&locale=en

People submit all sorts of POI, but I am not sure if they can be managed by the users or administrators only. Some parts of this map app are in Eng, but not all.

Btw, what are your recommended roads in the Bkk - Nakhon Nayok - Prachinburi triangel at the moment?

I haven't been out there for some weeks.

Cheers,

George

thanks for the info about longdo. i'll have a look.

there's really no route that doesn't suffer from some road construction these days. best i think i can see is 3481 to prachinburi if you don't mind hoofing it around that boondoggle bridge or maybe scoot up north a bit around it via 3481 เดิม (old), i recall seeing a sign at an intersection just after i went past that "bridge". though i didn't go the last 20km to muang prachin along that route, so no telling.

the frenzy of road construction seems to mostly affect inbound routes, so one-way trips outbound ought to be fine.

rain delayed my ride start from 6:00am to 10:00am so i only dashed up to ongkharak.

seen 28-aug-2010:

• inbound route #305 is down to one choke point, around the km 38 marker. unfortunately it appears as if crazed monkeys did the paving work, riding over this quality pavement for 10km or so shook the blood out of my arms (and re-aggravated my shoulder tendinitis) . adding to the agony, some genius decided that the road needed drainage and cut runnels at random intervals across the road shoulder, then filled them with asphalt. ended up bang-bang-banging down the road ;-) really hope that this was just phase one of the "repair" (fiscal year ends in october, doesn't look good).
  • rural route #2006 (lum sai-lum lukka pathumthani) is still an utter mess, going on 2 years now.
  • on a more positive note, the roads along khlongs 11 & 13 are still in excellent shape. better hurry ;-)

seen 4-sep-2010:

• in-bound #305 has improved, road surface is still pretty rough in spots for a road bike & there's those idiotic "drainage runnels" cut across the shoulder but it's better than last week.
  • out-bound suwinthawong/ram indra road from the bridge over khlong san suk to nimit mai intersection is messed up pretty badly. looks like road widening, left lane, road shoulder gone.
  • in-bound suwinthawong/ram indra road also road widening from nimit mai intersection to around rom klao intersection.

i guess all the MTB folks are happy with all this road construction ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

seen 25-sep-2010:

• 305 inbound is still getting worked on, maybe final layer of asphalt? road surface is marginally improved but riding from Catholic church in ongkharak to khlong 14 shook the blood out of my arms again.
  • out-bound suwinthawong/ram indra road from the bridge over khlong san suk to nimit mai intersection is still messed up pretty bad though it looks like some progress has been made (by who i couldn't say, only saw one worker & he was cooking rice).
  • in-bound suwinthawong/ram indra road still messed up from nimit mai intersection to around rom klao intersection (some progress also).
  • and no surprise, rural route #2006 (lum sai-lum lukka pathumthani) is still an utter mess, funny thing if you look 500m to the north you'll see this interior ministry building (dept of provincial administration). look out your windows much?

• 1 month later...