Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

Just thought you might be interested i have phoned TOT on 1100 for the last couple of mornings and they say

We do not block your internet and there is a problem with TOT at the moment which they are trying to fix?

I am thinking what they mean is they are loosing to many customers and it will be back to normal and they wont block it anymore?

I asked if i can get the power package and the operator said its 'same same' also very slow

ah well my contract ends in September so i will wait and see

Edited by rexnong

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the Basic Fit package, you might ask TOT about the Power Fit package, only 100 baht per month more and you get a 1 Mbps upstream rate. I have this package and other than the brief outage reported here last week my speeds are normal, as expected.

Are you saying that the Power Fit package is not throttled? Can anyone else confirm this?

I said that "you could ask TOT" if the Power Fit package meets your requirements. I have a Power Fit package (4/1) and it is not throttled, as far as I can tell. (That Glasnost program said that my line is not throttled; I am getting full bandwidth downloads/uploads, via FTP and BT, and except for the recent outage which prompted this thread, I have not had any problems.)

just phoned tot this morning on 1100,they admitted they are throttling torrents,

he also said that they were looking into provide service for all there customers,that they are in negotiatons

with other providers to do just that,

so i expect when they sort it out ,it will all be back to normal.

just called true to complain after a week at 1.5kb/s. They said nothing was wrong with my line. 15 mins after i got off i was downloading with utorrent at 750+. strange days indeed.

I can't believe how many people still use torrents here...lol at you lot

We use torrents because the novelty of ladyboys has passed .Dont worry you will be looking for torrents one day soon:jap: :blink:

just called true to complain after a week at 1.5kb/s. They said nothing was wrong with my line. 15 mins after i got off i was downloading with utorrent at 750+. strange days indeed.

We use torrents because the novelty of ladyboys has passed .Dont worry you will be looking for torrents one day soon:jap: :blink:

there are other alternatives that the thai isps can not stop, if you pull your head out of your arse you can find many alternatives. There's no point in naming them otherwise the people who monitor these boards will block them but I guarantee I am downloading films, and tv a darn sight quicker than you

The days of seeding and leeching were over for me 3 years ago. I just search for what I want and download at my isps maximum speed so all this talk of ladyboys is nonsensical you muppet

The days of seeding and leeching were over for me 3 years ago. I just search for what I want and download at my isps maximum speed so all this talk of ladyboys is nonsensical you muppet

Are you getting free downloads or do you pay?

If ISPs and other network service providers can "throttle" bandwidth for torrents then they can do the same for file transfers (downloading material from file sharing sites like RapidShare), can't they? I mean the general idea seems to be that customers are using too much bandwidth so they need to be restricted, or is it the uploading that is the major issue with torrents? (Although someone must be uploading all this material to the file sharing sites?)

Uhh guys,

I've just been to TOT office.

They wanted to check my router but they couldn't because I turned it off this morning when I was going to work this morning.

I said to them that everyone had the same problem in Thailand and if they had any problem with the system but they answered negatively.

So I got a couple of telephone numbers who to call and they will check my router. They also said that if they can't find anything a technician would visit me and try to solve my problem at my house.

I think that I can sense where their help is leading to.

At the end they will find nothing and that will be it.

I am just sure about one. My router is 100% good.

I just called them and they checked my router and they said that everything was OK with TOT and that I should have called the torrent site what I couldn't believe. I said that I had been downloading from many torrent sites and that nobody had any problems except TOT users and then she told me to change my torrent program version.

Guys could anybody tell me what the problem is?

I noticed that this forum topic is slowly dieing.

Do you guys still have the same problem? :ph34r:

I use true and it is very slow for the last 4 days. Torrent download is about 2kb/s which is worse than dial-up. I restarted my modem for several times, but nothing changes. Not only the download is slow, but the searching also, some web pages don't even load. I tried to call them, but their line is chronically busy.

P.S. Just restarted again and it works as it should, back to normal speed. That means they are fixing or already fixed the problem.

Edited by Thunder26

I use true and it is very slow for the last 4 days. Torrent download is about 2kb/s which is worse than dial-up. I restarted my modem for several times, but nothing changes. Not only the download is slow, but the searching also, some web pages don't even load. I tried to call them, but their line is chronically busy.

Try with this number 1100 and then press 9.

It worked for me well.

Are you getting free downloads or do you pay?

I pay a minimal amount for the service I get. I use the 3bb premiere so already paying a premium, 9 dollars a month is a small sacrifice for me for almost instant downloads. The problem with torrents isn't so much the dl side of things, but the upload that chokes peoples connections... at least restrict your upload speed to 1/2 the maximum upload

<snip>

The problem with torrents isn't so much the dl side of things, but the upload that chokes peoples connections... at least restrict your upload speed to 1/2 the maximum upload

I don't understand that. I have TOT 8/1 mbps and upload flat out when I can.

If you mean that the uploads affect your own personal web browsing (i.e. not other people's), then you are not exactly right.

When you download flat out - e.g. 700 kB/s for me - about 5% of that rate is needed to acknowledge the data that you are receiving. So if you download at 700 kB/s you are already using 35 kB/s of your upload bandwidth.

Since a lot of sites with private trackers require a ratio to be maintained, maximising your data up is important. So what you need to do is restrict your download rate in order to have spare upload bandwidth for surfing.

Still only getting 10kbps download from bittorrent if im lucky

Seems like everyone has fixed there download speeds?

I phone TOT and they say no we not block torrent?

why did i use to get 200+kbps before and now nearly stopped?

Just upgraded from 3mb to 6mb and that did bu%$er all!

You are right.

I have exactly the same question: Everyone has fixed there download speeds?

You are right.

I have exactly the same question: Everyone has fixed there download speeds?

Just started a topic to try and address this issue and gaming in Thailand(problems started at the same time.)

Can all those affected get on the phone NOW and start complaining to TOT. If nobody does anything we'll be stuck with the situation :annoyed:

just sign up with true move

they dont block any of the stuff tot does

including you pxxx dot com

torrent away as you like with true move

who would want to rent with tot anyway? they like to switch the dns adress off for a couple of hours a day very often - meaning you cant connect.

It's not just the torrents that they are choking. Online gaming is treated in very much the same way. Packets of data are sent and received, this is why PS3 connections have been so bad for online gamers as of late. Choking torrents also chokes the hel_l out of online gaming... Please make a stand and sign up to the "

Gaming and Internet Problems in Thailand forum

This has been set up on face book.

Thanks in advance guys. The more people that we get to this group the better.... WE CAN'T ALL BE WRONG

Hi All, i am joining the club.

Since about 1 week speeds are a nightmare...

I have the TOT 8Mbit/1Mbit package and was used to speeds ranging between 500-700 Kbyte/s

Now they are between 15 and 80 and an occasional 100kbyte/s...

I have made several calls to the superqualified (sarcasm) helpdesk...

Here are my questions and their answers:

Q: Are you blocking my p2p traffic?

A: Excuse me? what is your problem?

Q: My download speeds are very slow, are you blocking my torrents?

A: No sir, we are not blocking anything.....

Q: How come my torrents are so slow while they used to be so fast?

A: I don't know sir, you have to talk to a technician, i will send this case to them...

No No No, i not want to talk to a technician, because the line is fine... internet is fast, more than 7Mbit per second on regular traffic.... Only my torrents are slow.....

We are not blocking any programs sir....

Q: ARE YOU SLOWING DOWN TORRENTS?

A: YES SIR, WE ARE....BECAUSE SOME OTHER USERS HAVE SLOW INTERNET BECAUSE OF TORRENTS.....

That's the magic word... They are right! They don't block it... they throttle it..... download by 90%, upload by 50%.....

They can not answer me to the question if this is permanent. It unfortunelately crashed when they installed it resulting in all the HTTP trackers going down but UDP trackers still up....

This is their new policy and they will not change it... The sandville software that is managing their network load now is preventing you to switch to encrypted protocols or swap ports to 21... But there's a solution.....

Now i applied for CO-LOcation internet... for those of you who don't know what it is a short explanation...

There is a server connected directly to the internet somewhere. You rent a piece of that server for lets say 500 baht per month....

At home, over your regular internet you can connect to that server and send your torrents to the server... This server then downloads the torrents for you at 50Mbit - 75 MBit.... (yes, that's right... 6-10 MBYTE per second!!!)

You can then download from that server to your own computer with an FTP client, or you can visit them and swap a harddisk if you have more than one...

If you want more information, email me... I am setting this up tomorrow for myself and will keep you updated.....

I will try it out and have a 1Tbyte harddisk at the server. I send my torrents to the server and download all the stuff that i want. When the harddisk is full, i go there and swap it for a fresh one, or if i don't want to go there, i can download the completed torrents with my regular 8Mbit connection at full speed....

keep your fingers crossed....

Oh, and stop asking TOT if they block torrents... They don't..... they are THROTTLING IT....

so ask them if they make torrents slow, they will confirm and then continue yelling and complaining please....nice little trick, the f*ckers...

Edited by gollumscave

Hi All, i am joining the club.

Since about 1 week speeds are a nightmare...

I have the TOT 8Mbit/1Mbit package and was used to speeds ranging between 500-700 Kbyte/s

Now they are between 15 and 80 and an occasional 100kbyte/s...

I have made several calls to the superqualified (sarcasm) helpdesk...

Here are my questions and their answers:

Q: Are you blocking my p2p traffic?

A: Excuse me? what is your problem?

Q: My download speeds are very slow, are you blocking my torrents?

A: No sir, we are not blocking anything.....

Q: How come my torrents are so slow while they used to be so fast?

A: I don't know sir, you have to talk to a technician, i will send this case to them...

No No No, i not want to talk to a technician, because the line is fine... internet is fast, more than 7Mbit per second on regular traffic.... Only my torrents are slow.....

We are not blocking any programs sir....

Q: ARE YOU SLOWING DOWN TORRENTS?

A: YES SIR, WE ARE....BECAUSE SOME OTHER USERS HAVE SLOW INTERNET BECAUSE OF TORRENTS.....

That's the magic word... They are right! They don't block it... they throttle it..... download by 90%, upload by 50%.....

They can not answer me to the question if this is permanent. It unfortunelately crashed when they installed it resulting in all the HTTP trackers going down but UDP trackers still up....

This is their new policy and they will not change it... The sandville software that is managing their network load now is preventing you to switch to encrypted protocols or swap ports to 21... But there's a solution.....

Now i applied for CO-LOcation internet... for those of you who don't know what it is a short explanation...

There is a server connected directly to the internet somewhere. You rent a piece of that server for lets say 500 baht per month....

At home, over your regular internet you can connect to that server and send your torrents to the server... This server then downloads the torrents for you at 50Mbit - 75 MBit.... (yes, that's right... 6-10 MBYTE per second!!!)

You can then download from that server to your own computer with an FTP client, or you can visit them and swap a harddisk if you have more than one...

If you want more information, email me... I am setting this up tomorrow for myself and will keep you updated.....

I will try it out and have a 1Tbyte harddisk at the server. I send my torrents to the server and download all the stuff that i want. When the harddisk is full, i go there and swap it for a fresh one, or if i don't want to go there, i can download the completed torrents with my regular 8Mbit connection at full speed....

keep your fingers crossed....

Oh, and stop asking TOT if they block torrents... They don't..... they are THROTTLING IT....

so ask them if they make torrents slow, they will confirm and then continue yelling and complaining please....nice little trick, the f*ckers...

This was useful and thanks. but as I mentioned on another thread, it is not just torrents, it is gamers as well. By throttling torrents, they are also throttling gaming that uses the same packet data that torrents use, so in effect they are screwing gamers over as well. I have never mentioned about them blocking but throttling YES.

Somnething needs to be done as gamers are suffering as much as torrent users

I had 3BB Premier 3MB service at my last house that I paid about 1100 baht a month for. I now have TOT 4MB service (3BB not available) that is 590 baht but is throttled. I would gladly pay double to TOT for the same 4MB service that was not throttled.

The only premier line 3BB has these days is 5Mbit at 2,500 baht. Their Pro line has become pretty bad - was great initially though so I am thinking about upgrading. I'd go from 10Mbit "pro" - which is not offered anymore - to 5Mbit premier. Paying 1500 Baht for a mostly crappy 10Mbit line doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Or I might downgrade to 5Mbit crappy for 590 baht, seems like better value...

Edit - this morning I am getting a real 8Mbit to the USA. Maybe all the torrents are finished in the early mornings?

Edited by nikster

ok, i just got called out of bed by TOT... they'd send a technician to my house...<BR>He started telling me that my modem didn't support 8Mbit and he had a new modem for me...<BR><BR>Amazing... I've had 8Mbit for several months now working perfectly, but suddenly overnight my modem doesn't support it? I told him that it wasn't a problem caused by the modem.<BR>I thought it would be best to called the helpdesk and have them tell the technician that they were deliberately throttling P2P traffic....<BR>The helpdesk employee however told me that it was a problem that they have because so many people were complaining with the same problem...<BR><BR>I explained to him (helpdesk guy) that TOT was doing this on purpose to free up bandwidth. He however assured me it was a problem that was being taken care of and speeds would be back to normal very soon because so many people were complaining.<BR>I have asked for a confirmation e-mail about the things he was saying, and I've asked him to spell his name, so i can ask for him again when it turnes out that speeds are not back to normal...<BR><BR>His name is Manas Saweangsee.....<BR><BR>I'll give it a few more days.... <BR><BR>I'll give you another update tonight when my COLO is up and running

I'm not going to get specific because who knows who reads this forum but I will say that there are a few ways around the current throttling. I'm the one who mentioned the sandvine throttling when it started since then i've been monitoring the isp activity. It's fairly typical stuff and it's no different from what other isps overseas have been up to.

Bypass methods:

There is tunneling, direct downloads (rapidshare and other services), and a few non english asian based torrent programs which disguise headers for their packets and can evade detection.

That's all i'm going to say about it if you want to know more you can look it up.

Something's going on with 3BB as well. I like to listen to konastream.com (KONA radio on ITunes 70's Retro) and its been great until the last two weeks. It's only a 64 kbps stream but it cuts out every few minutes now. Makes it impossible to listen to.