Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Deluge, Bittorrent, UTorrent and now vuze, no difference in download speed. Max is about 20 Kb/s. Funny thing is that with only Vuze I can portforeward and NAT is working?? Dowloadspeed still crap.

Might talk to the cable/internet comp. ask how the deal with torrents

Tried Deluge, Bittorrent, UTorrent and now vuze, no difference in download speed. Max is about 20 Kb/s. Funny thing is that with only Vuze I can portforeward and NAT is working?? Dowloadspeed still crap.

I use Bitcomet and my speed was total crap, I searched around on the net for a fix and I now get up to 400Kbps again just like I got before the throttling.

I tried putting my Computer in to DMZ last night and got full speed on torrent downloads. When I finished, turned off DMZ tried a new torrent and back to square 1. It might be worth a try

Before you do that, make sure you understand what you are doing!

Better to open the ports you need instead or use this awful upnp thing...

Martin

BTW a download I received said it came from demonoid.com & so I do not understand the confusion about needing to be invited as stated in another thread.

Demonoid rules require a text file to be added to the torrent stating that it was downloaded from Demonoid. When the torrent file is uploaded to other trackers, the text file can't be removed because the torrent will fail the hash check. It's a kind of advertising. An invite is required for Demonoid although it is not considered a private tracker (since it allows its torrent files to be uploaded to other trackers).

• Like 1

I use Bitcomet and my speed was total crap, I searched around on the net for a fix and I now get up to 400Kbps again just like I got before the throttling.

So what is the fix?

So what is the fix?

Direct downloads rather than torrents. The problem with torrents is the seeding more than the downloading to be fair. With direct downloads you do not have to upload(seed) at the same time

So what is the fix?

Direct downloads rather than torrents. The problem with torrents is the seeding more than the downloading to be fair. With direct downloads you do not have to upload(seed) at the same time

Sorry, I don't get this. Direct downloading like a seed box or rapidshare you mean or downloading from a webpage? I also have been looking for a fix but could not find one that would be free, nor one that would not get your ISP really, really pissed.

So what is the fix?

Do you use Bitcomet ?

I also have been looking for a fix but could not find one that would be free, nor one that would not get your ISP really, really pissed.

I like the sound of that one.

Can you point me in the right direction.

filesharing 10bht a day is less than a box of beer a month. maxed out connections, no uploading using up bandwidth and no throttling.

Actually the free filesharing is faster than torrents at the moment.

I also have been looking for a fix but could not find one that would be free, nor one that would not get your ISP really, really pissed.

I like the sound of that one.

Can you point me in the right direction.

I read somewhere that you can change the share rate on you modem but I can't find the same site anymore plus your ISP is bound to find out.

So what is the fix?

Do you use Bitcomet ?

Used to now I'm on vuze

Used to now I'm on vuze

Tell you what I done in Bitcomet :

Go to-------Tools ------ Options ------- Bit Torrent ------- Now, make sure Protocol Encryption ( Avoid BT protocol being blocked ) is set to Always, not Auto Detect, click Apply - OK.

And that is how I done mine, it certainly worked for me. YMMV.

My BitComet is 1.3 stable release.

Give it a try and let us all know how you get on, good luck.

I have just downloaded the 3 seasons of ' Breaking Bad ' quite quickly, that is a recommendation I'll happily give you, great series, it's up there with the best.

Edited by sillyman99

Used to now I'm on vuze

Go to-------Tools ------ Options ------- Bit Torrent ------- Now, make sure Protocol Encryption ( Avoid BT protocol being blocked ) is set to Always, not Auto Detect, click Apply - OK.

I have just downloaded the 3 seasons of ' Breaking Bad ' quite quickly, that is a recommendation I'll happily give you, great series, it's up there with the best.

Have encryption on in vuze but you can see I'm being choked. Yes Breaking Bad is very good, seen all of them !

Are you on TOT? (The subject of this thread.) What package? What is "quite quickly"? I think we've already established that Protocol Encryption does not address the TOT blocking of private trackers (the cause of this thread, and a practice since ended) nor does it help you overcome basic bandwidth constrictions which can be applied at any number of points in the network.

Maybe people could elaborate on their file sharing service provider? Lots of cryptic mention on price (10 baht per day), and providers but why not just share the provider, package etc.? Are you using a FTP client? What kind of speeds are you seeing in Kilo-BYTES per second? Obviously it is easy for a TOT or TRUE to limit FTP speeds, if they want (and they are doing this), so I'm not sure this is any better? Who uploads all the stuff to the file sharing sites?

ISP is True in BKK.

Serious problem with trackers timing out recently on several public sites. After a couple dozen attempts can usually get one to load up. Once you actually get the tracker, downloads are normal. Using Deluge on Linux. I suspect certain IPs are being throttled at the international gateway. Probably not disabled completely, just throttled way back so you get dropped packets and timeouts.

What I have seen testing a tracker with wget is that the first few K come in, and then it stalls. This is where the True proxy comes into play. If you keep wget'ing the tracker, eventually it works after a few dozen attempts. Of course, it is now completely stored in the True proxy, and Deluge picks it up just fine after that.

My hunch is this is not a TOT issue, at least not one that any of the local offices are aware of. It could be something that the core network guys have implemented and not told anyone about in an attempt to free up existing bandwidth rather than adding more. Since CAT and True also have international fiber connections, my assumption is that these probably are not corrupted, and sometimes you get lucky and your connection goes primarily through an unmolested link for the entire tracker download.

Very annoying problem actually, but I'm sure there is a way around it. I just don't download often enough to justify spending alot of time on this. It does seem to be a real issue though. I don't think anyone is imagining it.

ISP is True in BKK.

Serious problem with trackers timing out recently on several public sites. After a couple dozen attempts can usually get one to load up. Once you actually get the tracker, downloads are normal. Using Deluge on Linux. I suspect certain IPs are being throttled at the international gateway. Probably not disabled completely, just throttled way back so you get dropped packets and timeouts.

What I have seen testing a tracker with wget is that the first few K come in, and then it stalls. This is where the True proxy comes into play. If you keep wget'ing the tracker, eventually it works after a few dozen attempts. Of course, it is now completely stored in the True proxy, and Deluge picks it up just fine after that.

My hunch is this is not a TOT issue, at least not one that any of the local offices are aware of. It could be something that the core network guys have implemented and not told anyone about in an attempt to free up existing bandwidth rather than adding more. Since CAT and True also have international fiber connections, my assumption is that these probably are not corrupted, and sometimes you get lucky and your connection goes primarily through an unmolested link for the entire tracker download.

Very annoying problem actually, but I'm sure there is a way around it. I just don't download often enough to justify spending alot of time on this. It does seem to be a real issue though. I don't think anyone is imagining it.

I had a guy from TOT call centre confirm they were throttling torrents because "it is not fair to other customers". He also agreed that TOT did not have enough bandwidth.

Are you on TOT? (The subject of this thread.) What package? What is "quite quickly"? I think we've already established that Protocol Encryption does not address the TOT blocking of private trackers (the cause of this thread, and a practice since ended) nor does it help you overcome basic bandwidth constrictions which can be applied at any number of points in the network.

Maybe people could elaborate on their file sharing service provider? Lots of cryptic mention on price (10 baht per day), and providers but why not just share the provider, package etc.? Are you using a FTP client? What kind of speeds are you seeing in Kilo-BYTES per second? Obviously it is easy for a TOT or TRUE to limit FTP speeds, if they want (and they are doing this), so I'm not sure this is any better? Who uploads all the stuff to the file sharing sites?

Yes I'm on TOT, 3MB service, 590 per month.

The point of my post was to maybe help some people who, like me, were suffering from TOT throttling.

I'm downloading right now at 350Kb/s.

Edited by sillyman99

The point of my post was to maybe help some people who, like me, were suffering from TOT throttling.

Well its honestly not much of a help when you don't tell us what you're doing? For example, download client? Links source? File sharing service provider?

I reviewed the TV ToS/rules and there are no rules about discussing file sharing, just against posting "...links to pages that contain objectionable material.", which includes file sharing.

How do you know you are downloading at 350 Kilo-BYTES per second? That is more the full capacity of your line, when you account for packet overhead.

Lastly, what prevents TOT or any broadband service provider, from "throttling" file sharing downloads? (A quick search revealed this is being done in many countries.)

Edited by lomatopo

Well its honestly not much of a help when you don't tell us what you're doing? For example, download client? Links source? File sharing service provider?

I reviewed the TV ToS/rules and there are no rules about discussing file sharing, just against posting "...links to pages that contain objectionable material.", which includes file sharing.

How do you know you are downloading at 350 Kilo-BYTES per second? That is more the full capacity of your line, when you account for packet overhead.

Lastly, what prevents TOT or any broadband service provider, from "throttling" file sharing downloads? (A quick search revealed this is being done in many countries.)

I am using, TOT and Bitcomet as previously stated !!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know I'm downloading at 350Kb/s, cos BitComet tells me my download speed for torrents I'm downloading, thats how !!!!!

Now do you understand ? annoyed.gif

<deleted>, I was trying to help people then I get a freekin' inquisition from some jerk off !!

Look pal, don't do what I done, OK, enjoy your downloading experience.

jerk.gif

Edited by sillyman99

350 KBytes/s download from a 3 MB (3 Mbit/s) service = (350*1024*8)/(3*10^6)*100% bandwidth used = 95.5%. Unreal.

Of course, the 3 MB service may be 3*2^20 rather than 3*10^6 in which case he's only getting... (350*1024*8)/(3*2^20)*100% bandwidth used = 91.1%.

Bearing in mind that the download packets need acknowledging by the bit torrent client and typically take about 3% of the bandwidth of the downloads, that means he's getting either 98.4% or 93.9% bandwidth used.

:whistling:

350 KBytes/s download from a 3 MB (3 Mbit/s) service = (350*1024*8)/(3*10^6)*100% bandwidth used = 95.5%. Unreal.

Of course, the 3 MB service may be 3*2^20 rather than 3*10^6 in which case he's only getting... (350*1024*8)/(3*2^20)*100% bandwidth used = 91.1%.

Bearing in mind that the download packets need acknowledging by the bit torrent client and typically take about 3% of the bandwidth of the downloads, that means he's getting either 98.4% or 93.9% bandwidth used.

Its a 4MB connection.

Pic taken 3 minutes ago

post-93587-047814700 1284364221_thumb.jp

And another, just taken.

post-93587-051029000 1284364478_thumb.jp

Before I altered the setting on BitComet, my downloads had slowed right down, after altering the settings have I have previously stated my speeds are very good on well seeded torrents, in fact it was as high as 480Kb/s.

Seems on this forum photographic evidence is needed, I actually don't care one way or the other if others follow what I did, it worked for me though. smile.gif

Edited by sillyman99

Mate, please understand, in the above post you quite clearly say you're on a 3Mb connection. Given the download speeds you were telling everybody you were getting, they were bound to not believe you. Like they said on a 3Mb connection you have to be very lucky getting upwards of 350kbps, bordering on breaking the laws of physics.

Its a 4MB connection.

Pic taken 3 minutes ago

Now you've said it's a 4Mb you made those speeds you're getting much more believable. You don't need photographic evidence, just to get your speed right from the get-go. Would have saved loads of problems!

Also this is an internet forum and as such (and I speak for myself here!) we're all a little bit anally retentive about technological matters :P

Edited by ManInSurat

Mate, please understand, in the above post you quite clearly say you're on a 3Mb connection. Given the download speeds you were telling everybody you were getting, they were

Now you've said it's a 4Mb you made those speeds you're getting much more believable. You don't need photographic evidence, just to get your speed right from the get-go. Would have saved loads of problems!

Yes it was a mistake that I couldn't edit here as the edit facility on this forum doesn't last for long once posted.

But if 350 seemed unbelievable for a 3MB, is 450 - 480 equally unbelievable for a 4MB ? biggrin.gif

Edited by sillyman99

why you feel the need to challange this i am not sure, but then i also wonder why he is so defensive.

Anyways i pay for a true 4mb package, with free upgrade to 5 and i actually get 7. anything is possible.